5 day visit to Switzerland in late December -plans

• rohitbalan21
    Participant
    3 posts
    4 November 2017 at 20:15:08 #813614

Hi Team,

I am planning to visit Switzerland in winter (Dec 28 2017-Jan 2 2018). Can you please help me with the places that needs to be visited in winter. Will Jungfrau and Mt. Titlis be a good option as it is winter? As of now I plan to be in Zurich on 31 Dec for the new year celebrations and a day trip to Bern on 1 Jan before leaving for Paris from Zurich on 2 Jan.

Kindly advice.

Regards,

Rohit

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2017 at 9:46:18 #871559

Hi Rohit and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It really depends on what you want to see and do while you are here. Let us know and we can help give you some advice. Do you have accommodation booked yet for Dec.28-30?

Jungfraujoch and Mt. Titlis are both open and can be visited if you like. Of course be prepared for snow and very cold temperatures.

rohitbalan21
    Participant
    3 posts
    5 November 2017 at 10:34:41 #871560

Hi Lucas,

I have booked in Luzern for Dec 28-30th. We do not have pre conditions about what to see. Just want to visit the mountains, major places etc. How do you find my below itinerary

Dec 28 – Arrive in Zurich at 6:40AM. Travel to Lucern. Check in is at 2PM. Requested hotel people to give an early check in. If not plan B would be to take a cab and visit Rhine falls and then leave for Lucern. Stay in Lucern.

Dec 29 – Trip to Mt Titlis. Evening transfer to Interlaken

Dec 30 – Jungrau trip. If closed explore Interlaken. Evening leave for Zermatt

Dec 31 – Explore Zermatt and evening leave for Zurich

Jan 1 – One day trip to Bern and leave back to Zurich

Jan 2 – Leave for Paris

How is this itinerary? Will it be a hectic one? Should I leave Zermatt. Please advice.

Regards,

Rohit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2017 at 16:15:57 #871561

Hi Rohit,

Zurich airport to the Rheinfalls would be prohibitively expensive in a cab – take the train if you decide to go. But really, if you can’t check in to the hotel you could still leave your bags there and explore the town of Lucerne. You also would have time to visit one of the mountains (Titlis, Pilatus Stanserhorn or Rigi) or do a boat cruise.

Dec.29 – You say evening transfer to Interlaken but you are booked in Lucerne that night yes?

Dec. 30 – Jungfraujoch is open every day for you.

Use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out your routes – make sure the duration of the trips are ok for you. It is a little hectic yes – I’m not sure about leaving Zermatt out – I think I’d choose it over Jungfraujoch but the time to get there is fairly long (as is Jungfraujoch from Lucerne).

Do note that most everything is closed Jan.1 and 2 (so maybe plan more mountain trips as the towns will be deserted. 🙂

rohitbalan21
    Participant
    3 posts
    5 November 2017 at 19:46:05 #871562

Hi Lucas,

Thank you very much for the response.

Yeah, I will keep the luggages in Airport and visit Rheinfalls on 28th before leaving for Lucern. Yeah, I have just reserved rooms in Lucerne which can be adjusted.

One final thing. Which place do you suggest to spend New Year eve? I thought to spend in Zurich as its a city and that it will be convenient for Airport transfer on 2nd.

Regards,

Rohit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2017 at 9:49:41 #871563

It depends on how early your flight is on Jan.2 as to whether you spend the night in Luzern or Zurich on the 1st. It is easy to train from Luzern to Zurich airport.

I would do a google search to see what activities are going on in each town and decide on what you want to do for New Years Eve. Zurich isn’t too big of a city – both will have options for you on NYE.

• The thread ‘5 day visit to Switzerland in late December -plans’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.