5 days exploring Switzerland from Zurich by car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2019 at 18:05:34 #823951

Easy jet flight from Luton (London) to Zurich Airport. Parked car at Luton airport. Rental car Mercedes A class automatic) booked from Zurich airport itself budget rental. Booking site used (for both service apartment and car rental).

Day1

Reached Zurich by 6 in evening, had a little walk around in the city. It was 1-bedroom service apartment (around 180 CHF per night), but quite spacious with balcony. This place was 2 kms away from main railway station. But please check whether parking is included or not while booking, as I ended up paying CHF 70 extra for parking, I should have looked for an accommodation inclusive of parking. My original plan was using Swiss rail service for complete trip, while staying at one place for whole journey. But considering rail fares, lack of time flexibility and most importantly rail journeys necessitate staying at different places to make rail journey economical (return journey is not cheap in Switzerland).

Day 2

I had decided covering Lucerne(Luzerne) area next day (Thursday), as there were few attractions nearby, weather prediction was better than other places. Next day (Thursday) we went to Mt Stanserhorn. A small town, quite spacious houses, roads (around 60-70 kms from Zurich). Place speciality was traditional funicular railway car in Stans (till one point), we sat at front of very small rail. Then open-air gondola ride to the highest point (CabriO – the first open-top aerial cable car in the world) of Mt Stanserhorn. There was quite stunning view of Luzern lakes, mountains, quite attractive houses, car paths connecting those houses with each other. It was at quite good height; those paths were looking so sketched as if drawn on a drawing board. Good vantage point, restaurant was available at that point, beer and food at reasonable price (as per Swiss standard). I had booked these tickets in advance itself, and I had observed that ticket prices were little bit on window as compared to my pre-booked internet prices. It was not so cold on top, quite friendly. Ticket prices are clubbed for funicular rail and open air gondola. Nice restaurant is there on the top and I would say prices were quite reasonable considering the fact you are eating at such a scenic place.

We spent around 2 hours, then I thought of covering another attraction in the area nearby, headed towards Engelberg. That was around 11 kms from that place. We had reached Mount Pilatus place instead, it was train ride to top of Mount Pilatus, we were not interested in that as we had similar experience at previous place. Every ride was in 30-50 chf per person at least.

We reached Engelberg then, bought ticket for Mount Titlis, it was chf 75 per person. Gondola ride through and through, but you can choose taking partial trip. At first stop there was a lake, you can take self-paddled boat (quite reasonably priced). Lake was formed through a current of fresh water coming from mountains, so transparent, so cold like ice. I drank water straight from that stream, refreshing water. Seeing so clean running water stream is main speciality of Switzerland for me. Stunning view, surrounded by water, a lake, a freshwater stream flowing from mountains with lots of water sound, getting merged in lake. Then get in gondola and go up to next point, Titlis mountain top. Bollywood actor (Shahrukh and Kajol picture there). A quite famous place among Indian tourists, one of must-see place as part of tourist package, as there were lots of coaches were parked around. At top it was different world altogether than ground level. Ice covered mountain tops, it was ice all around year (in this part of the year itself). Very nicely built place. It was cloudy, it was an open chairlift and we were passing through clouds literally, not able to see anything, it was so fun when suddenly chairlift appear, coming from another direction, at a very short distance. It took us to frozen place, they had icy slants, you can have 100 meters slant ride on ice skates. Shahrukh-Kajol picture from DDLJ is displayed there. Indian food at a very reasonable price is available there.

Day 3

Next day we went to Interlaken, had parachute experience and went to top. On the way we stopped near a train station surrounded by mountains, a water stream flowing nearby.

Day 4

Next day we went to Rhine falls and covered Stein am Rhein village (a historic village, very nice). We bough cowbell there.

Day 5

New day we covered Zurich, hired a motor boat, we could drive that boat on our own, though me and my wide does not swim, but it was quite safe risk. It was quite nice feeling being in middle of such huge lake, in sort of middle of city, you are seeing buildings around from lake. It is huge lake considering it is in middle of city.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2019 at 5:05:19 #922542

Hello Rakeshaus,

Thanks a million for your nice report. It’s always helpful for future travellers to receive input and experiences from other people!

Is there any chance you could share some pictures with us (1MB per post) to give some visual support?! Only if possible, of course.

And a quick question!? On Day 3, you say you went to the top from Interlaken?! Was this the Jungfraujoch, the Top of Europe, that you visited, or another place?!

Thanks again and take care,

Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2019 at 17:57:06 #922543

Hello Steph,

Thanks for noticing journey report.

We had visited Harderkulm peak point through Gondola (through First mountain), walked over Glass skywalk (cliff walk), did mountain biking while coming back from peak point to car park places. We did not visit Jungfraujoch, some other time in future.

Regards,

Rakesh

• The thread ‘5 days exploring Switzerland from Zurich by car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.