5 days in Swiss (Interlaken) in February

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2016 at 5:42:01 #810398

Hi All

Me and my wife aged 31 and 29 respectively would arrive in Swiss on 24th Feb via Paris- Basel TGV Lyria around 11 am. This is the tentative plan we have

24th Feb – Take a train from Basel to Interlaken OST. We are put up at a hostel close to Interlaken OST. Explore Interlaken and take a boat ride in Lake Thun

25th Feb:- Leave from Interlaken and visit Titlis. On our way back from Titlis visit Lucerne

26th Feb:- Need suggestion. We need to go to some places which is scenic, calm and quite.

27th Feb:- Visit Zermatt and then explore Materhorn and back to Interlaken OST in the evening

28th Feb:- Need suggestion. We need to go to some places which is scenic, calm and quite.

1st March:- Leave Interlaken and take a train to Zurich Airport. Our 5 days promotional swiss pass expires on 28th Feb. Arrive at Zurich after interchanging trains from Bern. Leave the luggage at the station. Explore Zurich on foot. Take the luggage and transfer to airport.

Some questions:-

1. If we visit Titlis and Materhorn and skip Jhunghfro, do we miss anything?

2. Can the luggage (1 large and 1 medium sized suitcase) be safely kept in the cloak room at the station. What would be the tentative cost of the same. We are on budget and hence planning the cost in advance

3. We wish to explore old towns, some villages which offer scenic scenery and relaxed atmosphere.

4. We intend to visit Geneva on one of the days. Is the trip worth a day visit.

5. Also since we would be in Swiss in the end of feb, would it be snow covered every where and would it pose an issue in communting

Would appreciate reverts from the moderators and other friends who can help us plan the trip better.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    1 December 2016 at 12:31:58 #857266

Welcome to MySwissAlps, vipino785!

Let’s take a look at your questions:

1. Switzerland has tons of attractive towns, mountain tops and scenic rides, so you can’t just experience it all during a 5 day stay. But Titlis, Jungfraujoch (not Jhungfro ;-)) and Klein Matterhorn or Gornergrat are definitely highlights. If you manage to visit these mountains in clear weather, you’ll get to enjoy a couple of the prettiest alpine views.

2.I assume you’re referring to the Zurich railway station? It has both lockers as well as guarded storage facilities. Please find further information and links at myswissalps.com/train/ practical/luggage.

3. Please find tips at myswissalps.com/bernes eoberland. As it’s ski season during your visit, some mountain tops might be crowded due to winter sports activities, especially on clear days and/or during weekends. Typical winter sports resorts such as Zermatt might be quite busy too. Other atmospheric towns within easy reach of Interlaken are Thun and Bern.

4. I’d say Geneva is bit far off. Please consult the timetable for traveling times.

5. There’ll be snow at the mountains for sure. Whether there is at lower altitudes as well really depends on current weather circumstances. Switzerland and its transportation system are well equipped for snow, so only extreme conditions may cause problems. Please see myswissalps.com/weathe r and myswissalps.com/bestti metovisit.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2016 at 13:28:54 #857267

Thanks a lot Annika. That’s quite humble of you to revert at such a short notice.

Thanks for the information. However I wana also know that is Mt Rigi included free in the swiss pass. I read on the site that Mt Pilatus would be free from Jan 01 2017 onwards. Is that true? Also are they worth visiting given we are visiting Titlis and Matterhorn for sure.

Also since we are a couple without children, we would rather cover up most scenic places that we can. Hence was thinking of visiting Geneva if it offers site seeing worth a day. We are open to travel 3-4 hrs one way provided the place offers what we are looking for.

Would appreciate your help. Looking forward to your reply!

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 December 2016 at 14:07:23 #857268

Hi vipino785,

Both Pilatus and Rigi are free with the Swiss Travel Pass. For everything included, please see the Swiss Travel Pass page, download the map, and zoom in to be sure not to miss details. The various tabs (Price, How to use, etc.) on that page provide even more details.

Geneva is quite nice, but it’s not in the mountains. Personally I would not travel that long for it unless there was something very specific there I wanted to see. The Geneva page Annika linked to provides details so you can see whether it matches your expectations.

• The thread ‘5 days in Swiss (Interlaken) in February’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.