5 nights in Switzerland – October itinerary advice

• kfordco
    Participant
    17 posts
    31 January 2018 at 19:37:31 #814208

My spouse and I will be arriving in Basel by boat on Oct 2 after breakfast. We plan to take the train that day (day 1) to Wengen and stay 2 nights (days 1-2). I would then like to take the train to Zermatt (day 3) as I’ve always wanted to see the Matterhorn but I’ve read that weather may prevent that. We plan to stay 2 nights (days 3-4) in Zermatt. And then we plan to take the train on day 5 to Zurich and fly out the morning of day 6. This is our first time in Switzerland. Are there any changes/suggestions that you would recommend for our short itinerary? If on day 3 we find that the weather in Zermatt won’t allow us to see the Matterhorn, do you have any suggestions for last minute changes to our itinerary for days 3 and 4?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 January 2018 at 20:07:04 #875447

Hello kfordco and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Your plan looks good.

How did you intend to get from Zermatt to Zurich? Have you considered travelling on the Glacier Express to Chur and then on to Zurich?

When you go to Zermatt make sure that between Spiez and Zermatt you go via Kandersteg. You will then travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley.

Use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions on that page before delving into the timetable.

Swiss weather (http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather) is unpredictable.

If you are very unlucky the weather may possibly prevent a view of the Matterhorn. If you skip Zermatt you definitely won’t see it! 😎

kfordco
    Participant
    17 posts
    31 January 2018 at 20:12:14 #875448

Thank you rockoyster for your suggestions! I will look into them.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2018 at 7:05:15 #875449

Hi kfordco,

If you are looking for activity suggestions for each stay as well have a look through our town pages here: Basel, Wengen, Zermatt & Zurich.

You may also want to look at a rail pass like the Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card for your trip.

Fro help on choosing the best rail pass read how to choose the best rail pass here.

kfordco
    Participant
    17 posts
    15 February 2018 at 20:16:26 #875450

Thank you, Lucas, for your suggestions!

• The thread ‘5 nights in Switzerland – October itinerary advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.