Lauterbrunnen and Zermatt in 7 days end Sept/Oct

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
STRaus
STRaus
1 post
Apr 15, 2019 - 2:59 AM

Hi ! I am new to this forum . Thanks in advance for your help . I am planning a trip to Switzerland onwards from North Italy ( Milan ) with my husband and 10 year old son. . I will be in Turin for work from 16-20 September. We have 2 weeks from there to travel and would like to visit Milan , lake Como area and Lauterbrunnen area .I have been to lucerne/ Jungfrau / lake Geneva before . This time we would like visit the Oberland area and questioning if we should also visit Zermatt and maybe try to fit in the Bernina express.We are nature lovers , love to walk / hike , like to have some quiet time and slow pace during our holiday but would like to not be completely away from activity/ people . Access to varied food options and some fun stuff for my 10 year old other than hiking would be nice ( he is well travelled and can easily cope with long hours of activity) .Budget is not a big concern but we like to spend it on better accommodation and food and would like to avoid constant packing unpacking .

I have done a fair bit of research and looked at Google maps and SBB train timetables and the forum questions here but still unsure about the best way to plan this . I I would appreciate your help please with the following:

1) How many nights in Lauterbrunnen area ? We have approximately 7 days for Switzerland. Thinking of 5 nights here. Wengen or Lauterbrunnen as base ? Wengen looks great but I not sure if it would be the best base for day trips and food .

2) We were initially planning to visit Zermatt ( 2 nights) but it’s kind of hard to get to with train changes etc , weather dependent , some say it’s very touristy and busy . I am questioning going to Zermatt now . Should I ? We will be doing a fair bit of hiking around Lauterbrunnen, would Zermatt be a repetition of similar scenery ?

3) Bernina express ? It seems to be on a different route . It it worth doing a few destinations along this route . I thought of this over GEX as it would be a different area of Switzerland. If it’s worth doing I will figure out how to fit it in .

4) Last week of September or 1st week of October? At the moment I am thinking finishing Milan / lake Como in last week of September as I will be in Turin then Milan to Zermatt or Lauterbrunnen 1st week of October , fly out of Bern . However if last week of September is better in terms of weather and closures , we could do that also , I guess .

This is a long post so thank you for your patience. ANY help is appreciated please .

Steph
Steph
1703 posts
top member &
Apr 15, 2019 - 5:17 AM in reply to STRaus

Hello STRaus and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Nice to hear you're again coming to Switzerland!

Regarding your questions.
You will have more than enough to do in the Jungfrau Region for 5 nights I believe, for inspiration use below link:
- www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s

Also 2 nights in Zermatt is not too much, the question whether it's the same or not is hard to answer, you will be surrounded by mountains again, I tend to say, "same same, but different".
- www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt/activities

The Bernina Express doesn't really cover the area you're planning to visit, for details about the route please check:
- www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/gettingth ere

Alternatively you can check the Glacier Express that you already mention or the Gotthard Panorama Express or the Centovalli railway, both leaving Locarno in the Italian speaking part of Switzerland:
- www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress
- www.myswissalps.com/ce ntovalli
- www.myswissalps.com/lo carno

To find out about connections and travelling times use our timetable, make sure you read how it works to make the best out of it.
- www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

And last but not least check these links to find out about the weather and the best time to visit:
- www.myswissalps.com/we ather
- www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

In most of the destination pages on this website you will find a "Date of operation" section in the route tab, to cross check opening times.

Hope this provides you the support needed to continue planning.

Get back to us anytime for further input.

Best,
Steph

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019