7 Day Switzerland tour

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2014 at 0:00:30 #806699

I am planning a 7 day tour of Switzerland with 6 couples. We will be arriving in Basel after our river cruise on Aug 22 and spending our first night there. I believe the Swiss saver pass is our best option. We will first travel to Lucern for two nights where we would like to go to Mt Titlis ,Rigi and Pilatus. We then plan on taking the Golden Pass train to Interlaken and staying in Murren for one night and touring some of the small towns in that area. We then will go back to Zurich for two nights and fly out on the 28th of August. We would appreciate some itinerary advice.Your sight has been helpful getting this much figured out so far. Gail

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    21 October 2014 at 13:12:24 #841258

Welcome to MySwissAlps.com, Gail!

I think your itinerary is very doable and allows you to explore some of Switzerland’s highlights. My only suggestion would be to spend two nights in the Bernese Oberland instead of one only, as it’s a breathtaking region; please check our day trip tips for this area. You would spend one night less in Zurich in that case.

Mürren is very charming, but not located centrally. That’s no problem if you plan to focus on its immediate surroundings during your stay there though.

As for rail passes: the Swiss Pass is very convenient indeed. Do note that there will be some changes in the Swiss rail passes as of January 2015, as explained in this forum topic. The 8 day Swiss Travel Pass will be fine in your case. Please keep an eye on our promotion overview and see if there are interesting discounts for the pass of your choice in Spring or Summer 2015.

Does this help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2014 at 14:09:14 #841259

Thank you Annika for your help with our 7 day Swiss Itinerary. I tried to make reservations in Lauterbrunnen but was unable to find 6 rooms at one hotel. I was concerned about the distance to Murren so I think I’ll change this plan.We were going to spend 3 days in Lucern and then thought it would be difficult to get to the day trips around Interlaken. Would you suggest Interlaken for 1 night or maybe go back to the earlier plan of 3 days Lucern? I also thought we would arrive late afternoon in Zurich so we would have the evening there and have 1 day to tour before flying back to US. I don’t mind just spending 1 night in Zurich as from everything I’ve read the mountains are the main thing to enjoy in Switzerland.

Annika
    7121 posts
    22 October 2014 at 13:17:26 #841260

Hello Gail. Day trips from Lucerne to the Interlaken region are doable. On the other hand, this area is splendid and definitely deserves your time and attention. So if you don’t mind checking in in yet another hotel, spending one or two nights in or near Interlaken would be fine. Please find tips for hotels in and near Interlaken here. Hotels close to Zurich Airport are listed here and in downtown Zurich here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 October 2014 at 1:59:24 #841261

Dear Annika,

My husband and I will be traveling with Gail, husband and 4 other couples. Our plans are now that we will travel to Lucerne and spend 3 days and then travel to Interlaken for 2 days and then travel to Zurich for one day in August of 2015. What are your recommendations based on the new itinerary?

Renee

Annika
    7121 posts
    31 October 2014 at 12:32:59 #841262

Hi Renee,

It’s a good plan! The next step would be to look into activities and hotels. You can find suggestions on the below pages:

• The thread ‘7 Day Switzerland tour’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.