8 day trip to Switzerland with 4 yo kid in August

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 16:19:42 #822652

Hi,

We are planning a 8-day trip to Switzerland at the end of August. My husband, myself and a 4 years old kid. We would like to explore scenic places and include a day of panoramic train. Following is the itinerary that we plan. Any advice would really be appreciated.

Day 1: Taking flight from Berlin to Zurich. Travel to Lucerne by train. Check-in hotel and continue to explore Lucerne Old Town, Garden Glacier (and maybe Lion Monument), and The Chapel Bridge.

Day 2: Trip to Titlis. Go to Glacier Park for snow activities. As my son has never seen snow, I would like to bring him there (though i’m not too sure if he’s okay to take the ‘Ice Flyer’ chairlift). Going back back to Lucerne and stay another night there.

Day 3: Trip to Rigi Kulm. Take the boat from Lucerne to Vitznau. Change to the cogwheel train to Rigi Kulm. Then take the cogwheel train down to Rigi Kaltbad and change to the cable car down to Weggis. Walk over to the boat (15 minutes) to return to Lucerne. Check-out from hotel and take train to Zermatt.

Day 4: Haven’t planned for the activity at Zermatt yet. Do you have any suggestion for any kid friendly activities?

Day 5: Taking Glacier Express from Zermatt to Chur. Then take regular train(s) to Wengen. Check-in hotel at Wengen.

Day 6: Trip to Jungfraujoch. Back to hotel at Wengen

Day 7 (Sunday): Trip to Lauterbrunnen, Grutschalp, Winteregg and Murren. Then take Allmendhubel Funicular Train. Go to Flower Park for some kid friendly adventures. Found this recommendation from other parents: bring-the-kids.com/kid-friendly-adventures-abound-in-murren-switzerland/

We would love to stay for another night at Wengen. But not sure if it will be too rush to travel back to Zurich on the next day to catch the flight at 7pm.

Question: Would you suggest to stay another night at Wengen? Or should we go back to Wengen (from Murren) to check-out from hotel and travel to Zurich?

Day 8: Catching flight at 7pm.

Initially we just planned to base in 2 towns (Lucerne and Wengen). But we changed the plan as we would like to add a day for panoramic train (Glacier Express).

Do you think the itinerary above is realistic? If no, can you please offer some suggestions/alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

Nelly

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 July 2019 at 10:29:22 #916907

Hi Nelly k,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Lion monument is next to the Glacier Garden, so you can’t miss it. Zermatt has lots of hiking trails including easy ones. You’ll find suggestions on our Zermatt page, and the tourist office offers more if needed: http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt. I might opt for a ride to the Gornergrat with a short walk along the way.

I’m not sure if I would do a 5.5 hour Glacier Express ride with a 4 year old. And it will be much longer if you want to reach Wengen the same day. About 10 hours. If you do this, I would for sure change the order of towns. First Lucerne, then Wengen, then Zermatt. There are fast trains to Zurich from Chur: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    6 July 2019 at 2:28:45 #916908

Your itinerary is very good. Arno has given very valid suggestions for places and order of stay. Swiss travel pass for 8 days will be very useful since you will be travelling everyday

• The thread ‘8 day trip to Switzerland with 4 yo kid in August’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.