9 day trip to Zermatt, Montreux and one other base

• jayakumarnn
    Participant
    4 posts
    31 January 2018 at 6:00:15 #814204

Dear All

Me, and my family( wife and son- yrs old) are planning a Swiss trip in starting July 30th to August 8th , 2018. We are from Dubai and flying into Switzerland from Amsterdam. Wish to make base at 3 points – Zurich/Lucerne/ Grindelwald ( either of these three), Zermatt and Montreux. Plan is to stay at first base( Zurich/ Lucerne/ Grindelwald) for 3/4 days, Zermatt – 2 days( enough?? ) and Montreux 2 -3 days. We are not too adventurous( no skiing or hard hiking). Can you suggest must see places from these three bases. We are flying back to Dubai from Geneva.Also, we will obtain a ” print at home” Swiss travel pass( 8 consecutive days) but then does this pass cover all of the travel between these bases as well as the day trips from these bases?

This is our first trip to this part of the world and request all the good souls to kindly advise us on the same.

Jay.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2018 at 12:16:59 #875428

Hi Jay and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Choosing between Zurich, Lucerne and Grindelwald is a tough choice.

Zurich is best for shopping and visiting art galleries and museums (the big city here). Lucerne is a medium city located on Lake Lucerne with quick access to several nearby mountains (Mt. Pilatus, Rigi and Titlis).

Grindelwald is an alpine village nestled in the Alps with easy access to the bigger mountains in Switzerland (Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn).

If your focus is on exploring the mountains mostly (even if only doing limited hiking) I would choose Lucerne, Grindelwald and Zermatt for your 3 bases. However, if Zurich appeals to you than I would take out Lucerne as it and the nearby mountains can be done as day trips if wanted from Zurich.

The Swiss Travel Pass will cover your travel between towns and some of the mountain trips you may take (if not fully covered you will get a discount of between 25% & 50% usually). You can buy the Swiss Travel Pass online here to have it emailed to you. For details on what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass click here for a PDF map and attraction list.

Be sure to read through the links above to get a good idea on what to see and do in each area.

Be sure to let us know if you have more questions. Also use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out your trips anywhere in the country.

jayakumarnn
    Participant
    4 posts
    31 January 2018 at 15:12:19 #875429

Thanks Lucas

Much appreciated your quick response. Maybe my ignorance about the geography of this lovely country, What about Montreux? Considering We have to fly out from Geneva, I thought Montreux would have been good as a third base. Lucerne/ Grindelwald being first and Zermatt second base. I would definitely order a Swiss travel pass online

Would it be a good idea to be at Montreux after coming from Zermatt? (Geneva being closer to Montreux)

Our Focus is to cover the wide range of things Switzerland has to offer, not just mountain excursions. However we do understand it is better to pick few places/ regions and enjoy it well rather than cramming a tight schedule of too many places in too little time. I’m quite sure , wherever we go we are in for a visual treat. Also Do you think , after having visited Jungfraujoch any other mountain excursion would be a repetition? We are planning Glacier express from Zermatt.

What can we do at Montreux? Is it worth to be at Montreux for 3 days?

Apologies if these questions/ doubts feels trivial and silly !!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2018 at 17:20:43 #875430

Hi Jay,

No problems with Montreux at all – it really depends on what you want. I think it’s a nice town indeed with vineyards, castles, Lake Geneva and a chocolate (as well as cheese) factories nearby! Have a read through the link for more details.

I would have it on your last stop before Geneva yes. In fact, unless you have a very early flight you don’t need to stay in Geneva the night before (unless you want to).

As for seeing the mountains…everyone is of a different mind. Many people see as many as they can fit in and love every second of it. Certainly the scenery can change quite a bit, as does the method of transport (which can be half the fun sometimes).

How much of the Glacier Express are you doing? It is an 8 hour trip one-way to St. Moritz or just before in Chur. But you can get off earlier in Brig or Andermatt – read about the Glacier Express route here.

jayakumarnn
    Participant
    4 posts
    31 January 2018 at 17:59:17 #875431

Dear Lucas

Many thanks to you, now I have a clear enough outline for my trip. I’m having Grindelwald as first base, planning to cover Lucerne and Interlaken from there. Then to Zermatt and cover what we can in 3 days and finally to Montreux. Yeah, I don’t intend to stay overnight in Geneva also, our return flight is at 15:15hrs.

Would love to travel until Andermatt on the Glacier express. The golden pass line from Montreux is also under consideration. Assuming that We can cover Lucerne and interlaken and Jungfraujoch from Grindelwald, 3- 4 days is enough at this base? Another 2 days at Zermatt and 2 days in Montreux. Guess that should do !!!

By the way I’m loving this Forum and “My Swiss Alps” in whole, so detailed and so very helpful.

regards

Jay

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2018 at 19:19:07 #875432

Happy to help Jay,

Lucerne is a bit far (I think) for days trips from Grindelwald – but check the timetable to see if it works for you. The train between Lucerne and Interlaken is part of the Golden Pass route (from Interlaken you continue on to Montreux via Zweisimmen – so you’ll at least do part of the route!

Don’t worry to much about Interlaken – not too exciting. See Lucerne if it can work for you. Otherwise, stay around Grindelwald – so much to do there and nearby. Two days in Zermatt ,2 days in Montreux and all your other nights in Grindelwald. 🙂

Happy travels!

• The thread ‘9 day trip to Zermatt, Montreux and one other base’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.