An amazing 17 day holiday to beautiful Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2018 at 3:01:40 #818635

I just wanted to express my gratitude to all the team and contributors at MySwissAlps, the forum was invaluable in the planning of our recent September holiday. I have followed daily for many months and was always able to find the answers I needed and picked up so many tips along the way.

We stayed in Zurich, Lucerne, Montreux, Zermatt and Wengen &

did trips to Schaffhausen, Rheinfalls, Stein a Rheim, Bern, Thun, Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Titlis, Fribourg, Lausanne, Gornergrat, Schilthorn, Mürren, Gimmelwald, Grindelwald, First, Mannlichen and Kleine Scheidegg.

Thanks to trip reports and contributors first hand experiences my husband and I went places and saw things we may otherwise have missed. One of my favourites was seeing the cattle return from the alps in Plaffeien. It took three trains and a bus trip, but was so worth the effort. Our many hikes through stunning landscapes were also unforgettable.

We purchased 15 day 1st class Swiss Travel Passes. We came to see them as our ‘golden tickets to adventure’. The convenience far outweighed the cost and we used ours so much that the value was excellent. We laminated our passes, they were easily scanned and durable.

I have often noted on the forum the desire to fit in as much sightseeing as possible and in many different locations. Switzerland may not be a large country, but there is much to see and many other people want to see it too. Even in the quieter time of late September there were often long queues for cable cars etc., for example, a trip from Wengen to Schilthorn took a train, a bus, four cable cars and two hours to reach. Not a problem when you allow the day as we did, but frustrating for those who had planned on fitting in another couple of mountains!!

The SBB website for pre planning and app whilst travelling were fantastic. Familiarising yourself with how the timetable work makes life much easier.

It seemed daunting when we had to change trains six times with luggage ie Zermatt to Wengen, particularly when there were only minutes between trains, but it worked perfectly with no fuss. Being aware of what platform you arrive on and what platform your next train departs from is a stress saver. Timetables tell you all the info you need.

If you do miss a train there is really no need to worry, another one won’t be far away. Timetables at all stations are displayed on large yellow boards and the timetable is the same no matter the day of the week.

We found that stations had both stairs and a ramp to access the platforms, some also provided a lift. This made moving luggage around quite easy. Usually there was room at the end of the train carriage for the storage of suitcases. One of the advantages of first class was that the carriages were often nearly empty and you could have your suitcase with you. Paying the extra for first class was worth it for us.

Finally, no matter how beautiful the scenery, how lovely the hotels, it was the Swiss themselves that helped to make this such a wonderful holiday. Everywhere we went, hotels, restaurants, sightseeing, shops and stations, people were friendly and helpful. A smile is the same in any language!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2018 at 8:37:38 #897640

Hi Harmony, welcome to MySwissAlps and thanks for the trip report!

Great to hear you had a great holiday in Switzeland and that we could help make it happen. 🙂

The Swiss railways timetable really is amazing isn’t it? Nice to have everything work so seamlessly – pretty rare in most countries.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    10 October 2018 at 0:08:57 #897641

An excellent report!

I agree that it’s a good idea to make a day of a special trip such as Schilthorn.

Of course we are all different and some people get a buzz out of an endurance test whereas others like me enjoy keeping on the go but at a pace sufficient to take in everyday life and allow for unexpected eventualities.

And if you find yourself with time to spare there’s always a coffee shop (or a bar depending on the time of day!) to sit down and enjoy a drink. Even if it may be a little more expensive than at hime.

I liked your comments about the station lifts or ramps. I’ve recently spent some time in Germany travelling by local public transport. Many of the stations there, particularly the older ones, do not have lifts or ramps and that can make it rather difficult when changing trains and carrying luggage.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2018 at 9:28:13 #897642

Thank you Gunzel and Lucas for your kind response. I look forward to learning more through this fantastic forum.

• The thread ‘An amazing 17 day holiday to beautiful Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.