Interlaken and Grindelwald – rail pass advice

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 11:56:30 #816462

Hii.. please help me to give the information what can I do for 2days in Interlaken and 1day in Grindelwald. We also want to visit Jungfrau region by mountain rail. What are the best ways to take Swiss pass or by individuals ticket for two persons? We will go to Interlaken on 2nd week of July and we will stay their for 5days total in Switzerland.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 13:48:31 #887465

Hi Taniya and welcome to MySwissAlps!

First, to know which pass (if any) is best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

As for ideas on what to do in the Jungfrau region (of which Interlaken is the biggest town) look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrauregion/a ctivities

If you are just traveling around the Jungfrau region for 5 days I would look at the Jungfrau Travel Pass or the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland. If you plan on making trips further around Switzerland then look at the Swiss Travel Pass.

I would also suggest staying in Grindelwald or another small town rather than Interlaken– much more charming.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 19:37:09 #887466

Hallo..Lucas..Thanks for your reply..I have reserved the hotel first two day in Interlaken and then, next one day in Grindelwald. Then 4th day evening we are planning to visit Barn for few hours and we will go to Zurich and we will stay in Zurich for 4th and 5th day. I was wondering to know tha , what we can do for one day in Interlaken and is their any package we need to buy for going to a ride in the lakes. And next day we will plan to take Jungfraubahn to go to Jungfrau, as I know we can’t use Swiss pass in this train..Is it true? And next day (3rd day), we will go to Grindelwald any special suggestions for their..like which are the best thing we can do their for one day..and also if any special suggestions for the whole trip we should do (like to visit this place

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 20:08:30 #887467

Hallo everybody… I have German national visa..I am from IndiaShall I need to take visa for Switzerland also? Can I get a Swiss rail pass? Or only EU Citizens can get it? Or if anybody has Schengen visa to Germany, they can also go to Switzerland or not?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 5:57:46 #887468

Hi Taniya,

For ideas on what to do around Interlaken look at my link for the Jungfrau Region activities I posted earlier. You don’t need any package purchase to take a lake cruise no. You can buy a ticket at the boat dock prior to boarding or use a rail pass like the Swiss Travel Pass (available to any non-Europeans) which covers the boat ticket.

You can see what the Swiss Travel Pass covers here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity & see where to buy it online here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price

If you have a Schengen Visa then you should be ok to travel to Switzerland yes – any country in the Schengen Zone. Only non-EU citizens can buy a Swiss Travel Pass.

• The thread ‘Interlaken and Grindelwald – rail pass advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.