Basel – Lucerne – Interlaken – Basel – in 5 nights

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2016 at 5:04:29 #808318

Dear,

Dates: 26-02-2016 to 01-02-2016. Entering Swiss from Paris.

• Day 1 (26/2) – Stay at Lucerne. Activity: Mt.Titlis
    • Day 2(27/2) – Stay at Lucerne. Activity: Mt. Rigi
    • Day 3(28/2) – Stay at Wengen. Travelling from Lucerne to Interlaken to Jungfrau via Grindelwald.
    • Day 4(29/2) – Stay at Interlaken. Activity : River Thun boat ride.
    • Day 5(01/3) – Traveling from Interlaken to Basel and from there to Paris.

This is our rough itinerary. Would like to clarify followings.

1. Any places to add or remove from this itinerary? This is a leisure trip. We don’t want to be in a hurry.
    2. Will Swiss Travel pass for four days help us? Travel from Interlaken to Basel on day 5 will be covered by booking supersaver tickets. Is it ok to get the pass once I reach Swiss?
    3. Which is better in terms of experience, stay at Wengen or Grindelwald. Or any other place in Jungfrau region?
    4. We’d like to keep it as economical as possible. Please provide us with suggestions in terms of booking tickets in advance.

Thanks a lot in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    24 January 2016 at 12:55:49 #847944

Hello sathish2888, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

Here are some thoughts on your questions:

1. Most of your itinerary is very doable. I recommend to reconsider your plans for day 1 though. I don’t know your exact mode and time of entering Switzerland (it’s not called ‘Swiss’, by the way ;-)), but if you’re coming from Paris you will have had quite a long journey. Getting to Engelberg and the Titlis will add extra hours and this could result in a tiring day. You could focus on Pilatus instead, as that’s within close reach of Lucerne. As you’ll be traveling in February, you will experience snow and the sight of snow-covered peaks from Pilatus as well. Also, you should make some back-up plans for day 1 to 3 in case weather isn’t good enough to enjoy the views. Tips can be found on our Lucerne and Interlaken pages. Mind that skies tend to be clearer in the morning (no guarantees: you’ll have to check weather forecasts shortly before leaving), so you may want head off for the Jungfraujoch early on day 3. An alternative is to travel to your base in the Jungfrau region in the afternoon or evening of day 2.

2. The combination of a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass and supersaver tickets makes sense to me. The Swiss Travel Pass is an ideal way of traveling: you won’t have to buy tickets for your train and boat journeys. The only exceptions are the Titlis and Jungfraujoch (between Wengen/Grindelwald); Rigi is fully covered too. Please refer to the validity map for details. Resellers are listed in the Price section. I recommend http://www.swissrailways.com, as you can get a print at home ticket there. Prices are equal to buying your pass locally, but it’s much more convenient to already have your pass while entering the country. Otherwise you’ll have to spend time buying it at a border station.

3. Opinions vary. Both Wengen and Grindelwald are a great choice in my view. You may browse our forum to read about other visitors’ preferences.

4. If you’re traveling by train from France, booking early is generally recommended. You can read all about it at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france. Apart from that, you don’t have to book other tickets in advance. Further budget tips can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2016 at 11:06:52 #847945

Hello Annika,

Thanks for your reply.As per your suggestion, I have changed our plans a bit. We reduced our stay at Lucerne to one day and moving to Interlaken on second day evening and staying at Winderswil. Also decided to stay at Wengen instead of Grindelwald. Hope we won’t miss the view. We have decided to stay at Saint Louis on our last night before leaving to Paris. Because it is close to Basel airport.

1. We’d like to know, till how far from Basel to Saint Louis our Swiss travel pass will work ?

2. Will Lucerne to Interlaken Golden pass line be covered by Swiss Travel pass?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. They are valuable.

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 February 2016 at 14:48:04 #847946

Hi sathish2888,

1. The bus to the airport is covered, but the bus from there to Saint Louis is not because it’s in France. The hotel may provide a free shuttle service. Please see myswissalps.com/ baselairporthotels.

2. Sure, all trains are covered. If you click to “Where it’s valid” on the Swiss Travel Pass page Annika gave you, you can verify this. If you click to “Price”, it shows exactly where to buy.

Arno

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2016 at 4:30:59 #847947

Hello Arno,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I”d be getting down at Basel station and I’d be carrying a debit card. Shall I withdraw CHF using my card over there? My native currency is INR.

Your inputs are valuable.

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 February 2016 at 11:49:45 #847948

You’re welcome sathish2888. You can use your debit card at any ATM, at the station or elsewhere. There are many places where you can pay using your debit card, so you normally don’t need to carry around lots of cash. But it’s indeed a good idea to have some cash at hand, as I don’t know if there are any limitations for Indian cards or your bank specifically, and also to pay for small amounts in the few stores where you can’t pay electronically.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2016 at 12:40:45 #847949

Thanks a lot Arno.. 🙂

• The thread ‘Basel – Lucerne – Interlaken – Basel – in 5 nights’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.