30 August 2011 at 10:30:14 #804663

My wife and I will be arriving Zurich 9/12/11
    9/12/11 Train to Lucerne
    9/13 & 14 – Funiculars
    9/15 Wilhelm Tell Express to Lugano
    9/17 Bus / Ferry to Bellagio
    9/20 Train to Venice

Questions:
    1. With the 1/2 Fare card, can we skip days that we won’t be traveling? In other words, can we buy a 7 day pass, and use it over a 10 day period?

2. Is the 1/2 Fare Card what we want? I think it is good for the funiculars & Wilhelm Tell Express as well as the trains to Lucerne & Venice.

3. When and how is the best way to purchase this – Online – do they mail it? or can I print it off the internet – or should I wait and purchase it when we arrive in Zurich – will we get the 2 for 1 deal in Zurich or is that just an internet deal?

Thanks for all your assistance
    Mike

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    31 August 2011 at 8:45:27 #834086

Hello Mike! As for your questions:

1) No, each Swiss Half Fare Card is valid during one month and has one fixed price.

2) Yes, I still think the Swiss Half Fare Card will work out fine for you. An alternative would be the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, as you can pick some free travel days, and profit from discounted traveling between the first and last free travel day. Only comparing prices and making calculations (based on an exact list of plans) would tell you which option is more economical.

3) Please refer to the purchase options in the upper right corner of the Swiss Half Fare Card. Just fill our your country of residence and the amount of travelers for an overview of reseller prices and local prices. Information on shipping will also be displayed if you click ‘Show more information’. I’m not sure where you found information on a 2 for 1 deal for Swiss Half Fare Cards. The current 2 for 1 offer is meant for regional passes. Could you clarify this?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2011 at 19:50:50 #834087

Arno, Thanks for the reply

3) So the 2 for 1 is only for a regional pass? What is “regional”? I suppose it won’t work to get to Venice?
    Will the Swiss half fare card work to Venice?

I’m really confused now – not sure which to buy or which will work Zurich to Lucerne, Wilhelm Tell Express to Lugano, to Bellagio then to Venice. Total of 9 days

Arno
    15484 posts
    31 August 2011 at 23:54:47 #834088

Hi Mike,

Each of our rail pass pages links to a map that shows exactly where the pass is valid.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2011 at 16:07:23 #834089

So, it looks to me like the 7 day Tell Pass gives 2 free days and 50% discount on all other days, plus from Sept 1 – Oct 31 I can get 2 Tell Passes for the price of one?
    The Tell Pass is valid for Zurich to Rheinfalls, Lucerne, Mt Rigi, Engelberg and the Wilhelm Tell express to Lugano. Not sure if it is valid on the bus from Lugano to Menaggio.
    And I can purchase these at the train station when I arrive in Zurich.

Is this correct?

Annika
    7121 posts
    2 September 2011 at 15:20:35 #834090

Hello Mike. Yes, you’ve understood how the Tell Pass works, but it’s not valid for Zurich, the Rheinfalls and Lugano, as the validity map shows. The Tell Pass can be bought in Switzerland too, but I’m not sure if that goes for the 2 for 1 offer as well.

In your case, I still think you can best consider a Swiss Half Fare Card or a Swiss Flexi Pass, and not one of the regional passes.

• The thread ‘Best pass for 10 days Lucerne – Italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.