Best rail pass for Bodensee-Grindelwald-Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2017 at 2:54:03 #812821

Gruezi! My family will be traveling from Zurich to Stein-am-Rhein for two days. We will go to Schaffhausen for a day trip. We will then spend one night in Konstanz, and from there we will head to Grindelwald for three nights. We then head to Zurich and head home. I spent some time in the Grindelwald area many years ago and would like to introduce my husband and 11-year-old daughter to the beauties of the Bernese Oberland and am looking forward to seeing a new part of Switzerland near the Bodensee and Rhein myself. We will get the free pass for our daughter, but I am wondering if we adults would be better off with the half-price card or the Bernese Oberland pass. We do not have our hearts set on particular trips in that area, but I do think we will go to Lauterbrunnen, perhaps the Schynige Platte, and maybe the Schilthorn. We will also relax and swim and take walks so we do not intend to be on the move every moment. I would appreciate any thoughts on best trips or most affordable options along these lines. Vielen Dank.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2017 at 6:37:12 #867756

Hi nad20irv and welcome to MySwissAlps!

As you are in two different areas of Switzerland I would look at either the Swiss Half Fare Card or the Swiss Travel Pass for the adults.
    Please note that you cannot get your daughter the free Swiss Family Card with the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland – only with a a few select Swiss rail passes (like the Swiss Half Fare Card or Swiss Travel Pass).

If you did opt for the Regional Pass-Bernese Oberland your daughter would qualify for the child version at only 30CHF. So you could buy the Swiss Half Fare Card (with Swiss Family Card) and then the Regional Pass-Bernese Oberland and child pass. The Swiss Half Fare Card gets you 25% off the purchase price of Regional Pass-Bernese Oberland.

In the end you may want to just buy the Swiss Travel Pass and be done with it. 🙂 It also means you rarely have to buy tickets for any trip – just hop on and go.

The only way to know the most economical pass would be to plan out your trips and do the math – we have a web page and Excel sheet here to help you.

• The thread ‘Best rail pass for Bodensee-Grindelwald-Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.