Best train pass from Paris to Switzerland and back

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2017 at 18:13:48 #813225

What is the best train pass to travel from Paris to Lucerne and back to Paris.Will be doing the trips to mountains while in Lucerne

Travel dates -Arriving Paris 4th Oct,

Paris to Lucerne 9th Oct,

Lucerne to Paris 13th Oct

Passengers 2 adults 1 child (9 years)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2017 at 0:28:24 #869660

Hi Nalindap,

The only way to know the best rail pass for and your trip is to plan out all our trips in Switzerland (and France if applicable) and do the math. We have a web page here to help you (and with an Excel sheet).

If you are traveling by train a few or more times in France and Switzerland you could look at the Eurail Select Pass (2 country). If you aren’t taking any trains (except to/from Paris) then I would look at a Swiss only rail pass, like the Swiss Travel Pass or for the Lucerne area only the Tell – Pass. Then just buy a ticket to/from Paris to the Swiss border (Basel).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2017 at 14:47:11 #869661

Hi

Its me again.

I intend to base in Lucerne in my visit to Switzerland but found the hotels in Lucerne bit on the expensive side. As such I have booked a hotel in Alpnach.

I plan to do all the mountains such as Titlis and Rigi and also wants do a visit to Lake Lucerne and the Swiss Museum of Transport.

Do you think my choice of hotel in Alpnach is ok or am I making things difficult for myself.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2017 at 22:33:37 #869662

I don’t think it will make things too difficult for you. It mainly depends on how far your hotel is from the rail station in Alpnachstad. You will have one or two extra train connections but it isn’t too bad.

When booking hotels it is always a trade-off on accessibility/location vs price!

Use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out trips from your hotel to your destinations to see what the timings are like ad if they are suitable for you.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2017 at 16:10:31 #869663

Please Help.

I am closing in on my arrival date to Europe but still unable to decide on which train pass is buy despite checking the excel sheet in the forum site.

Please someone advise the best travel pass option for below itinerary.

2 adults, 1 child (9 years)

Arrival – France on 4th Oct

Visits to museums,Eifel tower, Other places of interest.

Travel to Lucerne by train on 7th Oct and stay at Landgasthof Schlüssel Alpnach

Planned visits while in Lucerne

Mt. Titlis

Mt Pilatus

Mt Rigi

Lake Lucerne boat ride

Cheese factory and Chocolate factory

Depart Lucerne on 11 th back to France by train

Go to Disneyland 1 day

Visit other place of interest in France

Departure on 14th Oct from Paris.

Also wants to know whether I could take my luggage (Probably 3 big ones) when travelling from Paris to Lucerne and back to Paris.

Please help me.

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 September 2017 at 16:47:24 #869664

Hi Nalindap,

I’m sorry to hear our Excel sheet did not help you out. How come? Didn’t it result in one option that is the cheapest? If the calculations don’t help you out, the passes/tickets I’d recommend to consider for your plans are the same ones Lucas mentioned in his first post.

All trains have facilities to take along luggage. Of course the less you take along the easier your trip will be, but that goes for any mode of transport.

Please let us know how we can help you out if the above information does not help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2017 at 18:24:07 #869665

Hi

Finally I have made the decision to buy following travel tickets. Can someone give an opinion on my decision on whether this is the best choice

Paris to/from – Ticket from Paris to Swiss boarder (Basel) – TGV-Lyria high-speed train

From Basel to Lucerne – Tell pass

While in Lucerne I will be doing following using Tell pass.

Mt. Titlis

Mt Pilatus

Mt Rigi

Lake Lucerne boat ride

Cheese factory and Chocolate factory

Pls help. Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 October 2017 at 6:26:06 #869666

Hi nalindap,

Just an FYI, The Tell Pass does not cover your trip from Basel To Lucerne – check the PDF map we have on our Tell Pass page here for all routes that are covered.

Also I’m not sure what cheese and chocolate factory you are interested in. If you are talking about the Cailler chocolate factory and area near Gruyere’s it also isn’t covered by the pass (not sure if you thought it was though). Part of the route could be covered depending on the route you take.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2017 at 6:32:06 #869667

Hi Lucas and Others

Thank you all for information given. Me,my wife and daughter had a memorable holiday in Lucerne. The information you gave us was very useful and followed every instructions you provided.Had a wonderful time in Mt. Titilis.

Love Lucerne. Love Swizerland.

We will be back.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2017 at 9:37:20 #869668

Hi Nailindap!

Great to hear your trip went smoothly!
    If you have time in the future to write up a small report about your trip and experiences we would love to hear about it!

If you want to do this please post on our trip report forum here. No worries if you don’t have the time. 🙂

All the best.

• The thread ‘Best train pass from Paris to Switzerland and back’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.