Buying Swiss train tickets in advance

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 10:57:49 #815951

Hi

I am travelling from Basel to Wengen by train on 12th July and returning on the 15th July.

I may or may not buy a Swiss Half Fare pass (as it may not be cheaper to do so). However, i wondered if there was an optimum time to buy the fares i need – i.e. can you get a discount in advance or will I pay the same amount if i bought the tickets on the day of travel (or just before).

any help much appreciated.

thanks

Rob

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 11:48:49 #885123

Hi Rob,

Tickets aren’t cheaper when you buy them in advance. There is a product called Saver Day Pass. It is only available from 30 days before you travel until one day before you travel. The price is CHF 59 if you buy it one day before you travel, or CHF 106 if you do not have a Swiss Half Fare Card. However, if you purchase up to 30 days in advance, these prices drop to CHF 29 and CHF 52.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 16:18:11 #885124

Hi

To be clear, the Saver Day Pass is a ticket you can buy in advance which lets you travel on any part of the rail network? But you can only buy them at a maximum of 30 days in advance?

As i will be travelling out on the 12th and back on the 15th i would need to buy two saver day passes at CHF 52 each – i.e. CHF 104 in total.

The standard return fare of Basel to Wengen is CHF 111 so there really isnt much of a saving.

Would you agree?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 19:30:34 #885125

Hi Rob,

Yes on any part of the rail network and yes you can buy them at a maximum of 30 days in advance.

I checked prices in the Swiss railways timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) and the return fare I got is CHF 150,-. Still not a major saving.

Not sure what your plans are in Wengen, but if you’re thinking of visiting the Jungfraujoch, you should look into a rail pass. Otherwise you don’t get any discount and it’s an expensive trip. You could have a look at how to choose a Swiss rail pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 11:08:46 #885126

thanks Chantal

yes, it appears the fare has gone up since i last checked as it was definitely not CHF 150 when i looked last month!

this is the dilemma i have – we may want to do Jungfraujoch but we wouldnt book the ticket until we have seen the weather forecast. If we dont go up there then it is cheaper for me to buy full fare tickets. If we do go up then it is marginally better value to buy a half fare pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 13:16:33 #885127

Strange the prices went up. Normally that shouldn’t happen.

So you’re not planning to do any other trips besides Jungfraujoch? Have you looked at the Jungfrau Travel Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrautravelpass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 13:38:36 #885128

i have drawn up a two day itinerary which takes in two hikes and a possible trip up to Jungfraujoch via Kleine Scheidegg. To me, even allowing for the gondola and small train journeys in between, it is cheaper NOT to buy any kind of pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 15:12:11 #885129

You did the math. That’s good. Enjoy your trip.

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 May 2018 at 18:44:38 #885130

Hi Rob,

I’m surprised about the result of your calculations. Just the trip Basel to Jungfraujoch and return costs CHF 332.80 if you do not have any pass. So a Swiss Half Fare Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard) would even save you money on just that trip. Please see Chantal’s timetable link for how to find the regular prices. Perhaps there’s an error in your math?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 15:20:07 #885131

Hi arno

The Half Fare Pass just about breaks even if i am paying 50% standard fares and we dont do Jungfraujoch trip.

However, if we decide to do the Jungfraujoch then it clearly would save money. Only issue we do not know if we will do that trip until the day before.

The third option is where i could buy Saver Day passes 30 days in advance of my trip without having to buy a half fare pass too. Assuming i can pick up these passes for no more than CHF 52 each (CHF 104 return) then it would work out cheaper to do this option. Again, this assumes i dont do the Jungfraujoch.

So i may wait until they release Saver Day passes for my trip (30 days prior to trip) to see what price i can get them for. Does that make sense?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 16:17:45 #885132

Hi Robby,

Yes that can work. Do note that the Saver Day Pass is a day pass – no return fare (or did you mean per person?)

For Jungfraujoch, I’d buy the Swiss Half Fare Card (https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d/price) and worst-case you break even which is ok. Then save a bunch of money if you do go up Jungfraujoch.

Or try the Good Morning Ticket which will save you money (hoping that the weather is good in the morning of course).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 16:29:59 #885133

yes i’d have to buy saver passes for each way which i have factored in.

You’re right, with Half Fare pass the worst case scenario is a i pay a small amount over. Probably worth the risk

• The thread ‘Buying Swiss train tickets in advance’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.