Can Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Rigi be done in one day?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2019 at 15:14:13 #820043

Hi. My sisters has a 3 day Swiss Travel Pass and wanted to check if we can combine alongwith Mt. Pilatus, either Mt. Rigi and/or Stranserhorn and/or Mt. Titlis? And whether we can cover Lake Brienz/Thun and Schilthorn on the same day?

thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,

Tripti

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2019 at 11:37:28 #904718

Hi Tripti and welcome to MySwissAlps!

That depends on your starting point. If Lucerne, it would be doable with an early start but I would not recommend it as you will want to spend enough time at each site 🙂

Of those combinations the easiest might be Pilatus and Rigi but still a very long day.

From Lucerne you could stop at Lake Brienz on the way to Schilthorn or on the way back.

To check travel times and connections etc please go to http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Here are links to each of the places you have mentioned which might also help in your planning:

Have a wonderful trip!

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2019 at 11:42:13 #904719

Hi Maria,

thanks for your quick response. We will be traveling from Geneva on the first day and 2nd day we are stationed at Lucerne.

Can you advise how should be our itinerary if I want to cover the following:

1)Pilatus (2) Rogi (3) Titlis (4) Stanshorn. Basically we utilise the pass to the fullest.

Also wanted to check if the Tell – Pass for central Lucerne can be availed by travellers not residing in Swiss? If I am coming from Geneva to Lucerne, till which point I need to buy a train ticket?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2019 at 11:53:12 #904720

Hi Tripti

Please use the timetable link I sent you – I cannot decide what travel times you would be happy with. I know for myself I would find that itinerary very exhausting and not enjoyable at all, but I am not you 🙂

My advice would be to plan it all in great detail so you know at what time you’re happy waking up and if you have enough time at each location.

If you have the Swiss Travel Pass you will not need to buy a train ticket from Geneva to Lucerne: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass.

Everyone is eligible for the Tell Pass. If you prefer that pass you can read about it here: http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpass

However that pass will not cover the travel from Geneva only travel within the Lake Lucerne region.

Hope this helps in your decision making and hope you have a great trip with wonderful weather!

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2019 at 12:06:15 #904721

Thanks Maria. Yes. Technically seems doable..But practically as you suggested may be very exhausting. Thanks again for your response.

Bonne journée!

Tripti

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2019 at 14:03:16 #904722

I just talked to a friend who has intimate knowledge of that area. He said that if you really want to do it all and don’t care about spending little time at each location the way to optimise it would be:

Day 1 – From Geneva to Thun or Spiez (connection via Bern), stop at lake Brienz (connection via Interlaken Ost), Lucerne, Rigi (through Arth-Goldau) back to Lucerne.

So in essence it would be Thun or Spiez in the morning, Lake Brienz for lunch, Rigi or Schilthorn in the afternoon, Lucerne at night.

Day 2 – Lucerne to Stanserhorn (there is a new gondola there apparently that goes quite frequently), then Pilatus, back to Lucerne.

Let us know how you get on once you complete the trip, by leaving a trip report on our forum, I’m sure it will be useful to other travellers who want to make the most of the pass! http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/tripreports

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2019 at 14:09:04 #904723

Wow Maria. Really appreciate the effoets! Thanks a ton for the detailed chart out..will update the thread once I visit the places in April.

Merci beaucoup! Bonne journée!

Tripti

• The thread ‘Can Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Rigi be done in one day?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.