Comparing pass options ZRH-Rigi-Jungfrau-ZRH

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2016 at 19:38:53 #809477

Hi there!

I am struggling a little bit to verify I am correctly applying my needs to the correct passes, I am wondering if someone could check my thoughts out? I am figuring all second class prices.

We plan to be in Switerland 8 days, leaving the 9th, travelling round trip to/from ZRH.

Day 1 : ZRH to Rigi area

Day 2 & 3 & 4: remain in Rigi…mostly afoot hiking. If rainy, perhaps day trip over to Lucerne.

Day 5: Transfer to Muerren

Day 6 & 7:enjoy walking/hiking Jungfrau area

Day 8: depart to ZRH to hotel at ZRH

Day 9: Fly home

After looking at all the combinations I am thinking that we might do best with the purchase of a 4-day Flexi Combo Swiss pass and declare them

1) the arrival day, 2) the transfer to Muerren day, 3)return to airport/last day and 4) one other in the Rigi Area. (That would leave us just one day in the Rigi area depending on us purchasing whatever travel might be required at 1/2 price.)

Price = 299.00 chf

We would then also buy the Jungfrau 3-day pass using the half fare card from the flexi combi purchase for days 5,6,& 7. This pass would give us access to whatever travelling we are likely to do on the mountain there plus 50% off “as a holder of the Jungfrau Travel Pass, we benefit from a 50% discount on the Eigergletscher – Jungfraujoch – Top of Europe route.” ( from the site: shop.jungfrau.ch/en/ti ckets/bergbahn/jungfra u-travel-pass-3-days) . My estimate is this would make the cost of getting to the top about 100chf.

Jungfrau card Price: 180 CHF

(Its not clear to me if I can get a further 50% reduction off the 180chf for the Jungfrau card with the 1/2 fare combi card? Do you know, If so the total would only = 389.00 CHF)

Without the addition reduction…total cost = 535.00 chf +/-

The other easy alternative:

Swiss pass (without half fare card) 363.00chf + 200.00 chf for Jungfraujoch

trip = 563.00CHF

I am thinking these two are close but not sure if I am correctly accounting for the various travel that we will likely do on cogs/lifts/boats etc. My understanding is the swiss pass covers most of them. (except the Jungfraoujoch)

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    19 June 2016 at 8:31:42 #853248

Hi isletravel,

Good that you’re making such calculations in order to compare passes. It’s a job that requires precision, and our step-by-step explanation plus the downloadable Excel sheet on our "How to choose" page may help you with that. I ran some numbers and here are my thoughts:

• a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi doesn’t cost CHF 299 (that’s the sample price for a 4 day variant), but CHF 346;
    • there’s no discount on the Jungfrau Travel Pass for holders of the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi, only for holders of the Swiss Travel Pass or the regular 1 month Swiss Half Fare Card. It’s mentioned here. So you’d pay the full CHF 180 with a Swiss Travel Pass Flexi Combi;
    • all details on the Swiss Travel Pass coverage can be found here. (As mentioned in your previous topic, you should look for the Swiss Travel Pass, not for the Swiss Pass as that’s a very different product only meant for Swiss residents.) Most mountain lifts are 50% off. There are some exceptions: Jungfraujoch is free up to Wengen/Grindelwald and 25% discounted between Wengen/Grindelwald and Jungfraujoch, and some other rides are entirely for free. Examples are the rides up to Rigi and Schynige Platte, a beautiful vantage point above Wilderswil close to Interlaken.

In the majority of cases, the combination of several rail passes turns out to be too expensive. On top of that the Swiss Travel Pass Flex (Combi) is pretty pricey for most itineraries. I’d say an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass is cheaper in your case, and definitely much easier.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2016 at 3:53:34 #853249

Hi isletravel

Annika’s reply is very comprehensive, and I hope it would have made things more clear to you.

I just want to correct a little miscalculation of total price of 8 day Swiss Travel pass+Jungfra. As Annika said, on STP you can travel free from Interlaken to Wengen. As far as I know Jungfra return ticket from Wengen to Top is CHF 177. Now availing 25% discount (~ CHF 44) on your STP, you have to pay CHF 133 (not CHF 200). In this way your total cost should be 363+133 = CHF 493, not CHF 563.

If I am correct (if not please let me know, because I am planning the same trip), then it will help you to estimate you trip price.

Ijaz

Annika
    7121 posts
    20 June 2016 at 6:10:00 #853250

Hi Ijaz,

Thanks for adding this! You’re pretty much right: a Wengen-Jungfraujoch return ticket costs CHF 170, which is CHF 127,50 with the 25% discount. The CHF 177 fare you’ve found applies to Wengen-Jungfraujoch-Grindelwald instead of Wengen-Jungfraujoch-Wengen. In any case, the Jungfraujoch trip with a Swiss Travel Pass is certainly cheaper for isletravel than the CHF 200 mentioned in his/her post. This supports the conclusion that the Swiss Travel Pass option turns out to be the better choice in this case. I hope you’re making progress with your ow planning, Ijaz!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2016 at 14:17:01 #853251

Hi Annika

Thanks for correcting me. Your reply will bring more saving for every would-be-tourist to Jungfrau, including my self.

Ijaz

• The thread ‘Comparing pass options ZRH-Rigi-Jungfrau-ZRH’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.