Jul 11, 2019 - 8:34 AM
My partner and I are travelling around Switzerland for the month of October 2019. We are confused as to the passes that we need to buy after reading all the feeds. Our travel route for 30 days in October is:
- Zurich Kloten Airport to Zurich - 2 days;
- Zurich to Bern - 2 days;
- Bern to Lauterbrunnen - 2 days (1 day in Grindelwald & Wengen, 1 day in Jungfraujoch);
- Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken - 2 days (1 day in Interlaken, 1 day in Thun);
- Interlaken to Zermatt - 2 days (1 day Klein Matterhorn & Gornergrat, 1 day in Zermatt);
- Zermatt to Montreux - 4 days (1 day in Montreux & Rochers de Naye, 1 day in Vevey, 2 days in Lausanne);
- Montreux to Geneva - 3 days;
- Geneva to Lucerne - 4 days (1 day in Lucerne, 1 day in Engelberg & Mt Titlis, 1 day in Lugano, 1 day in Mt Rigi & Lucerne);
- Lucerne to Basel -2 days;
- Basel to Zurich - 3 days (1 day in Zurich, 1 day in Liechtenstein, 1 day in Stein am Rhein & Rhine Falls;
- Zurich to Chur to St Moritz to Celerina - 1 day;
- Celerina to Scuol to Davos to Zurich - 2 days (1 day in Davos, 1 day in Zurich)
Correct us if we are wrong on the following:-
We will need the Swiss Travel Pass for a 8-day continuous travel (Day5 to Day 12) for CHF418 and the Swiss Travel Pass Flex for 15 days of selected travel on other days for CHF563. Both Passes will allow us to buy tickets for cable car, gondola, cogwheel trains and other mountain trains at 50% discount on regular fares for the 23 days. On the remaining 7 days that the 2 above passes are not valid, we will need the Half Fare Card to enjoy the discounted travel. So that means we have to buy the Half Fare Card for the 7 days as well. How much does that cost?
Alternatively, we can buy the Half Fare Travelcard for CHF185 (valid for 1 year) and the one-month Travel Pass for CHF420. The Half Fare Travelcard becomes a GA Travelcard for one month. This option costs a total of CHF605 which is cheaper than the earlier option if the benefits are the same.
What is your advice to us?
First - Buy the Swiss Travelcard at CHF185