Geneva-Zermatt and skiing: rail pass worth it?

• Kaysuzu70US
    Participant
    5 posts
    20 June 2022 at 0:09:27 #827549

Hello,

My family of 4 (2 adults, 1 16 y.o and 1 13 y.o.) will be flying into Geneva and taking the train to Zermatt via Visp. We will mostly ski until the 22nd then we will plan taking the train to Zermatt and back to Geneva Aeroport. Is it worth purchasing a Swiss Pass Flex for trip? How about Swiss 1/2 fare? We may take the train up to the Glacier while we are in Zermatt but do not plan on extensive train travel. Thank you in advance.

Paul

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    20 June 2022 at 3:32:25 #943418

Hi Kaysuzu70US,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

I think you might want to consider getting a Saver Day Pass if your plan is only to get from Geneva to Zermatt by train. If you book early, you might be able to get the Saver Day Pass cheaper.

A Swiss Travel Pass Flex is cost effective if you’re planning more than a few long-distance train tips over several days. You can find more information about how to choose a railpass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Regards,

Anna

Kaysuzu70US
    Participant
    5 posts
    20 June 2022 at 6:07:49 #943419

Hello Anna,

Thank you for the information on saver day pass. We will plan on using that pass to travel. Thanks you again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2022 at 0:10:56 #943420

I used to do this with family on a regular basis (but sadly some family members have since passed away) . If you are skiing, the railways and cable ways will all be part of your Ski pass, so you won’t need extra tickets. In particular the Gornergrat railway is an integral part of the ski lift system. A great way to start the ski day is to get an early Zermatt – Gornergrat train and beat the crowds onto the slopes in that sector.

Although the ski pass is expensive, it does have this benefit of allowing you unlimited rides on the key railways and cable cars.

Kaysuzu70US
    Participant
    5 posts
    22 June 2022 at 2:23:59 #943421

Thank you for the reply. I am sorry that you no longer can enjoy the trip as a family but I am sure that everyone had great memories of the trip. The information about the Gornergrat is very helpful and would definitely help when we are tired in the afternoon. I would have to calculate the cost of the 3-4 days of Gornergrat ride in Zermatt and 2 days of travel from Geneva and back to see if getting a full pass or 1/2 fare card.

Arno
    15481 posts
    22 June 2022 at 8:51:51 #943422

Hi Kaysuzu70US,

If you want to include the Swiss Half Fare Card into your comparison, the validity and price information at https://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard can be useful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2022 at 11:34:39 #943423

will be flying into Geneva and taking the train to Zermatt via Visp. We will mostly ski until the 22nd then we will plan taking the train to Zermatt and back to Geneva Aeroport. Is it worth purchasing a Swiss Pass Flex for trip? How about Swiss 1/2 fare? We may take the train up to the Glacier while we are in Zermatt but do not plan on extensive train travel.

I have re-read your wording and it is a little confusing (in bold text) . Exactly how do you plan to arrange your trip? I thought you meant it would be Geneva – Zermatt one journey, then ski-ing for a number of days in Zermatt, then another single journey Zermatt – Geneva.

If indeed you are mainly skiing and only in Zermatt then a rail travel pass would not be the right thing to buy as all transport around Zermatt in the ski season is covered by the ski lift pass. You would be better to get a Saver day pass for the two rail journeys to/from Geneva airport

Kaysuzu70US
    Participant
    5 posts
    23 June 2022 at 3:28:46 #943424

You are right. How it was written is not very clear. Our itinerary involves the following:

Geneva to Zermatt

Zermatt skiing – 3 days

Zermatt to Geneva

Thank you for you information about the ski pass covering the train/cable car rides in Zermatt. That and the saver day pass information really helped me understand how to plan the logistics. Thank you again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2022 at 23:31:27 #943425

Thank you for confirming what I thought. In that case you just need the best available point to point fare. This will vary depending on the day/date and time of travel. Sometimes offer fares are available, at other times not. Sometimes the Saver Day Pass will be the cheapest option, at other times it may turn out that the normal point to point fare is a similar price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2022 at 23:38:03 #943426

I attach a couple of my pictures from 20 December 2006, one shows the train on the way up the Gornergrat railway to ski from the summit in the morning. The second shows the station at Riffelberg. I have just skied down from Gornergrat. At the point where I am standing on my skis, you can choose to go back up on the train from Riffelberg to Gornergrat, or go to the chairlift that you can see in the background which goes up to a point below Gornergrat itself where other ski slopes go off in various directions

Kaysuzu70US
    Participant
    5 posts
    24 June 2022 at 4:20:46 #943427

Thank you very much for the information and the photos! Although our trip is 6 months away, we are really looking forward to it. Take care.

• The thread ‘Geneva-Zermatt and skiing: rail pass worth it?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.