Golden Line from Montreux to Luzern

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2015 at 21:49:43 #807448

Hello,

We are 4 adults who are planning to Golden Line journey start from Montruex, I have a few questions would like to ask:

1. Is it possible we can do the return trip within 1 day? as we need to get back to Montruex in the evening. If it’s no possible to get to all the way to Luzern, which train stops should we turn around and head back?

2. I find 1 day special pass on SBB site, can i use that 1 day pass for the whole train journey? If yes, can I use 1 day pass for the PANORAMIC TRAINS? whats the different between PANORAMIC TRAINS and normal train service?

3. I assume if i spend a day in Geneva, i don;t really need any train ticket? i can walk to most of the sight seeings? is that correct?

thank you very much

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15479 posts
    25 June 2015 at 10:12:34 #843963

Hi sunnyuk, thanks for sharing your plan here!

1. Yes, you can. It’s a lot of time on trains (about 8 hours) but it’s doable.

2. I assume you mean this promotion? You can use the day pass for all trains. If you prefer seat reservations you have to pay those separately: myswissalps.com/golden pass/tickets

3. Yes, the city center of Geneva can be explored on foot. If you book a hotel there you will get free public transport, please see myswissalps.com/geneva /travel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2015 at 11:23:35 #843964

Hi Arno,

Thank you for your response.

Have another question, when i try to book on SBB site, i can eg 2nd class,, one-way 1/2, do it mean i only only buy it with ‘Half-price card’? It’s not very clear on the site. they also sell ‘supersaver ticket’ which i understand i need half -price card to purchase? Am i correct?

you mentioned about local travel for free, i got hotel booked in Lausanne, can i use free ticket from Lausanne to Geneva?

PS – i have attached the screenshot from SBB site about 1/2 ticket.

Thank you for your help.

Arno
    15479 posts
    26 June 2015 at 8:58:34 #843965

Hi sunnyuk,

Supersaver tickets are something different, and not related to the day pass. These tickets are valid for one specific train only, so you loose the ticket if you miss that train. You don’t need a half fare card. The tickets are a bit more expensive if you don’t have one. Please see here for further information.

“1/2” is indeed for holders of a half fare card, so you would need a regular one way ticket.

You only get free traveling within the city of Geneva, if you stay in Geneva. Lausanne is a different city. The link I gave you explains how it works, and has links to further details.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2015 at 9:17:19 #843966

Sorry just want to confirm, do you mean I don;t need ‘half fare card’ to buy supersaver tickets?

Thank you

Arno
    15479 posts
    26 June 2015 at 9:45:14 #843967

Yes, that’s what I mean. It’s just a lower price for half fare card holders.

• The thread ‘Golden Line from Montreux to Luzern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.