Golden Panoramic train route cancelled in June?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 8:51:39 #816247

Hi

I have some questions about Trains during my visit ins Switzerland from June 15th to June 21st.

1. I will travel to Montreux from Wengen. I plan to take Golden Panoramic train from interlaken to Montreux. But I read on other thread mentioned that the route is closed due to some construction?

Can I check if it is true?

2. I noticed that Golden panoramic train route from Interlaken stop at Gstaad. Is it possible we hop off and explore Gstaad for a while then hop on again to take another train to Montreux? Or I have to go direct to Montreux? I notice Gstaad is quite wonderful, and I would like to visit on my way to Montreux if possible.

3. I will bring two big luggages. Is there a luggage storage in the train and other trains (I will travel by train from Zurich-Wengen then Wengen -Montreux, then Montreux-Geneva) for big to medium luggage?

4. If I want to take golden panoramic train, Is it better to buy it online, or we can just buy it at Interlaken or Bern train station?

Thanks

Kind regards

Gina

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 9:13:14 #886442

Hi Gina,

1. No the Golden Pass route can be traveled at any time. There is some small construction on the route currently but due to be completed June 1 (and you could still travel the route with a small bus detour).
    2. Yes, a regular ticket or Swiss Travel Pass is valid all day (Gstaad is quite small though but a nice coffee break in the summer.
    3. Yes, those stations have either luggage lockers or left luggage offices and there won’t be an issue taking it on any train https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/practical/ luggage
    4. Are you traveling with a rail pass of some sort? Like the Swiss Travel Pass? In that case not tickets are needed.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 9:57:08 #886443

Thanks Lucas!

I have swiss half fare card, so I guess I still need to buy the panoramic train tickets at half price.

Just to clarify, if I hop off at Gstaad or any other area that is passed by panoramic train, I dont have to buy the ticket again. (I have swiss half fare card).

Thanks

Gina

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 10:43:27 #886444

Correct. All tickets are valid all day – except Super Saver tickets (on timetable with a % sign). They are time specific.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/discount s

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 12:44:36 #886445

Thanks a lot Lucas For take some time to respond my questions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 May 2018 at 20:44:26 #886446

Hello Gina,

Not all trains between Zweisimmen to Montreux are Panoramic trains. The ones that are will appear in the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) as MOB (Panoramic or Belle Époque). Regular trains also run on this route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 23:14:46 #886447

Don’t worry if you get on a ‘non-panoramic’ train. The only difference with a panoramic train is the windows above your head, but in practice, you don’t see much more from a panoramic train than you do from a normal train window, as only a small proportion of the best views are directly .above the train.

Also, I don’t recommend Gstaad. It will be full of tourists window shopping in the expensive designer shops. Unless that is exactly what you want to do, a stopover in one of the other villages on the route can be more satisfying local experience.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 May 2018 at 23:23:44 #886448

Hi Gina,

1960man is of course correct about Gstaad unless you perhaps want to visit Glacier 3000 from there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 6:59:36 #886449

@rockoyster noted on the train. I will check the time table for MOB.

@1960man So I guess the only difference is the windows above the head, the route and the seat will be the same as regular train. I guess I am just taking regular train if that is the case.

I don’t have plan to visit Glacier3000 (after Schiltorn and Jungfraujoch I guess I have enough mountains experience :)) Can you recommend other villages that is interesting along the way to Montreux? or I think will just straight to Montreux then visit Lausanne.

I only have two days to visit Montreux, I plan to visit Lausanne, vevey, Lavaux and Gruyere

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 5:21:39 #886450

Hi Gina,

If the schedule works out for a panoramic train grab it for the experience – it is nice but not necessary of course (but same price).

I haven’t stopped on that route (except Gstaad) so can’t comment on other towns. Montreux has a lot to see and do though. https://www.myswissalp s.com/lakegeneva/activ ities

• The thread ‘Golden Panoramic train route cancelled in June?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.