Golden Panoramic train route cancelled in June?

Golden Panoramic train route cancelled in June?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Ginahalomoan
Ginahalomoan
12 posts
May 27, 2018 - 8:51 AM

Hi

I have some questions about Trains during my visit ins Switzerland from June 15th to June 21st.

1. I will travel to Montreux from Wengen. I plan to take Golden Panoramic train from interlaken to Montreux. But I read on other thread mentioned that the route is closed due to some construction?

Can I check if it is true?

2. I noticed that Golden panoramic train route from Interlaken stop at Gstaad. Is it possible we hop off and explore Gstaad for a while then hop on again to take another train to Montreux? Or I have to go direct to Montreux? I notice Gstaad is quite wonderful, and I would like to visit on my way to Montreux if possible.

3. I will bring two big luggages. Is there a luggage storage in the train and other trains (I will travel by train from Zurich-Wengen then Wengen -Montreux, then Montreux-Geneva) for big to medium luggage?

4. If I want to take golden panoramic train, Is it better to buy it online, or we can just buy it at Interlaken or Bern train station?

Thanks

Kind regards

Gina

Lucas
Lucas
8004 posts
expert &
May 27, 2018 - 9:13 AM in reply to Ginahalomoan

Hi Gina,

1. No the Golden Pass route can be traveled at any time. There is some small construction on the route currently but due to be completed June 1 (and you could still travel the route with a small bus detour).
  2. Yes, a regular ticket or Swiss Travel Pass is valid all day (Gstaad is quite small though but a nice coffee break in the summer.
  3. Yes, those stations have either luggage lockers or left luggage offices and there won't be an issue taking it on any train https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/practical/ luggage
  4. Are you traveling with a rail pass of some sort? Like the Swiss Travel Pass? In that case not tickets are needed.
Ginahalomoan
Ginahalomoan
12 posts
May 27, 2018 - 9:57 AM in reply to Lucas

Thanks Lucas!

I have swiss half fare card, so I guess I still need to buy the panoramic train tickets at half price.

Just to clarify, if I hop off at Gstaad or any other area that is passed by panoramic train, I dont have to buy the ticket again. (I have swiss half fare card).

Thanks

Gina

Lucas
Lucas
8004 posts
expert &
May 27, 2018 - 10:43 AM in reply to Ginahalomoan

Correct. All tickets are valid all day - except Super Saver tickets (on timetable with a % sign). They are time specific.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/discount s

Ginahalomoan
Ginahalomoan
12 posts
May 27, 2018 - 12:44 PM in reply to Lucas

Thanks a lot Lucas For take some time to respond my questions.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3839 posts
expert
May 27, 2018 - 8:44 PM in reply to Ginahalomoan

Hello Gina,

Not all trains between Zweisimmen to Montreux are Panoramic trains. The ones that are will appear in the SBB Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) as MOB (Panoramic or Belle Époque). Regular trains also run on this route.

1960man
1960man
474 posts
top member
May 27, 2018 - 11:14 PM

Don't worry if you get on a 'non-panoramic' train. The only difference with a panoramic train is the windows above your head, but in practice, you don't see much more from a panoramic train than you do from a normal train window, as only a small proportion of the best views are directly .above the train.

Also, I don't recommend Gstaad. It will be full of tourists window shopping in the expensive designer shops. Unless that is exactly what you want to do, a stopover in one of the other villages on the route can be more satisfying local experience.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3839 posts
expert
May 27, 2018 - 11:23 PM in reply to rockoyster

Hi Gina,

1960man is of course correct about Gstaad unless you perhaps want to visit Glacier 3000 from there.

Ginahalomoan
Ginahalomoan
12 posts
May 28, 2018 - 6:59 AM in reply to rockoyster

@rockoyster noted on the train. I will check the time table for MOB.

@1960man So I guess the only difference is the windows above the head, the route and the seat will be the same as regular train. I guess I am just taking regular train if that is the case.

I don't have plan to visit Glacier3000 (after Schiltorn and Jungfraujoch I guess I have enough mountains experience :)) Can you recommend other villages that is interesting along the way to Montreux? or I think will just straight to Montreux then visit Lausanne.

I only have two days to visit Montreux, I plan to visit Lausanne, vevey, Lavaux and Gruyere

Lucas
Lucas
8004 posts
expert &
May 29, 2018 - 5:21 AM in reply to Ginahalomoan

Hi Gina,

If the schedule works out for a panoramic train grab it for the experience - it is nice but not necessary of course (but same price).

I haven't stopped on that route (except Gstaad) so can't comment on other towns. Montreux has a lot to see and do though. https://www.myswissalp s.com/lakegeneva/activ ities

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018