Help with our Swiss travel plans in December

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 October 2017 at 0:53:48 #813456

Hi

I’m travelling to swiss in pax of 4 (2 adult, 1 young adult & 1 kid) mid of december for 5days. Planning for below trips. Plan to buy swiss travel passes.

18/oct – paris – bern – interlaken

1. Is it troublesome to make a stop at bern to visit the city as we are carrying huge luggage bags? is there luggage storage at the train station?

2. How long normally bern city visit will take?

19/oct – jugfraujoch

1. if let say on 19/oct the weather not well we will hv to add one more day to our itenary in jugfrau, is it difficult to extend our stay as I m worried the hotel always fully booked?

20/oct – zermatt – matterhorn

1. is it pssoible to travel from interlaken to zermatt in the morning & still catch to attraction in zermatt on same day

2. If we decided to stay longer in interlaken our hotel booking will be disrupted… to walk in to hotels is it advisable in term of cost?

21/oct – zermatt to st moritz using glacier express

1. If we change plans, the reservation fee is it returnable? or can we switch to a new date?

2. The train trip is 8hours… is it really interesting wothwhile to spend 8hrs?

22/oct – st moritz – luzern

1. Is it possible to travel from st moritz to luzern in the morning & still catch up with attraction in luzern?

23/oct – luzern – basel – london

Main concern are 1. luggage, 2. walkin hotels, 3. time for visiting vs long train ride

Hope you could help me with above to make up a good plans.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 October 2017 at 5:57:54 #870705

Hi Samfrula and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Yes, there are luggage lockers in Bern if you want to spend a couple hours there to see the city highlights.
    2. A few hours to see the main areas I would guess
    3. You would have to check with your hotel – I would guess a hotel would have a room for you but they could be quite expensive – there is also no guarantee the weather will be better the next day – watch the weather forecasts.
    4. Yes I think so – what attractions in Zermatt are you thinking of? Use the Swiss Railways timetable to find out how long it will take to get to Zermatt and when you will arrive.
    5. Every hotel costs differently but costs are usually higher for walk-ins yes. For a list of hotels in Interlaken click here.
    6. No, the reservation is not refundable on the Glacier Express. Switching to a new date will force you to make new reservations.
    7. You can read more about the Glacier Express trip here. I did the trip a couple years ago and thought it was great!

Getting to a town after a long train ride and having time to see an attraction will change depending on the attraction you want to see that day….Interlaken to Zermatt is about 2 hours and 20 minutes. St. Moritz to Luzern is about 4.5 hours.

I hope this helps with your trip planning! Use the Swiss railways timetable link above – it will show you how long all your trips will take and you can then decide for yourself if you still want to do something when you arrive at your destination.

For the Swiss Travel Pass, you can buy them online here and have them emailed to you to print at home (by far the easiest option). Children 5 to 16 are covered for free if you also order the Swiss Family Card at the same time (free of cost). Children under 5 don’t need a rail pass or ticket at all. Children 17 and older can get a discounted Swiss Travel Pass Youth.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Help with our Swiss travel plans in December’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.