Help with trip and deciding on a Swiss rail pass

Help with trip and deciding on a Swiss rail pass

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Lucy098
Lucy098
1 post
Jan 20, 2018 - 8:22 AM

Hi,

I'll be travelling with my parents at the end of May and wanted advice on whether a Swiss Rail Pass is worth purchasing for our itinerary. We arrive at Zurich airport at 10am and I was planning to stay in Zurich for one night and visit Rhine falls that day. The next day I planned to take a train to Lucerne and stay for 2 nights. Mount Rigi and Mount Titlis day trips from Lucerne on th days, before returning to Zurich for a flight onwards.

Any help or feedback on how this should be changed or what tickets to buy would be much appreciated.

Is it recommended to just go on a day tour to Mt Titlis or Rigi instead of self tour?

Many thanks in advance

Lucas
Lucas
8846 posts
expert &
Jan 20, 2018 - 8:45 AM in reply to Lucy098

Hi Lucy098 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, a rail pass should be beneficial for you. You could get the Swiss Travel Pass (3 days) which covers all your train trips except to Mt. Titlis (you would get a 50% discount on the trip from Engelberg to the mountain top).

Another option could be the Tell Pass (2 day). This will cover your trips for the 2 days around Luzern (both mountains are free as well) but it wouldn't cover the day in Zurich or to the Rhine falls.

To be sure on the most economical choice you need to plan out all your trips and do the math. Our page here will help you with this: How to choose the best rail pass.

I think most people would be fine taking the train on their own around Switzerland without a tour - but everyone is different. :)

avijit
avijit
12 posts
Jan 21, 2018 - 5:41 AM

Hello Lucas,

Hope you are doing fine. I read the reply to your post and request for a clarification - as I plan to travel to Mount Titlis myself. You mention that the Swiss Travel Pass will not cover the train trip to Mount Titlis. Is the train trip from Zurich to Engelberg that you refer to please ?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3913 posts
expert
Jan 21, 2018 - 7:23 AM in reply to avijit

We’ve covered this on your other thread I think.

Lucas
Lucas
8846 posts
expert &
Jan 21, 2018 - 10:23 AM in reply to avijit

Hi avijit,

I'm not sure about your question there. The trip from Zurich to Engelberg is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. You will need to buy a ticket from Engelberg to Titlis (at 50% off with the Swiss Travel Pass).

avijit
avijit
12 posts
Jan 21, 2018 - 10:57 AM in reply to Lucas

Thanks Lucas. This is clear now.

avijit
avijit
12 posts
Jan 21, 2018 - 10:57 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks Rockoyster. Yes, this is covered.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018