Help with trip and deciding on a Swiss rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 8:22:01 #814092

Hi,

I’ll be travelling with my parents at the end of May and wanted advice on whether a Swiss Rail Pass is worth purchasing for our itinerary. We arrive at Zurich airport at 10am and I was planning to stay in Zurich for one night and visit Rhine falls that day. The next day I planned to take a train to Lucerne and stay for 2 nights. Mount Rigi and Mount Titlis day trips from Lucerne on th days, before returning to Zurich for a flight onwards.

Any help or feedback on how this should be changed or what tickets to buy would be much appreciated.

Is it recommended to just go on a day tour to Mt Titlis or Rigi instead of self tour?

Many thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 8:45:14 #874710

Hi Lucy098 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, a rail pass should be beneficial for you. You could get the Swiss Travel Pass (3 days) which covers all your train trips except to Mt. Titlis (you would get a 50% discount on the trip from Engelberg to the mountain top).

Another option could be the Tell Pass (2 day). This will cover your trips for the 2 days around Luzern (both mountains are free as well) but it wouldn’t cover the day in Zurich or to the Rhine falls.

To be sure on the most economical choice you need to plan out all your trips and do the math. Our page here will help you with this: How to choose the best rail pass.

I think most people would be fine taking the train on their own around Switzerland without a tour – but everyone is different. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 5:41:59 #874711

Hello Lucas,

Hope you are doing fine. I read the reply to your post and request for a clarification – as I plan to travel to Mount Titlis myself. You mention that the Swiss Travel Pass will not cover the train trip to Mount Titlis. Is the train trip from Zurich to Engelberg that you refer to please ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 January 2018 at 7:23:07 #874712

We’ve covered this on your other thread I think.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 10:23:50 #874713

Hi avijit,

I’m not sure about your question there. The trip from Zurich to Engelberg is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. You will need to buy a ticket from Engelberg to Titlis (at 50% off with the Swiss Travel Pass).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 10:57:05 #874714

Thanks Lucas. This is clear now.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 10:57:52 #874715

Thanks Rockoyster. Yes, this is covered.

• The thread ‘Help with trip and deciding on a Swiss rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.