Interlaken & Grindelwald -Paragliding suggestions?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 11:31:35 #814906

Hi

I am interested in doing paragliding. Could you suggest the best place for that near Interlaken/Grindelwald.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 17:16:49 #879534

Hi Baatasaari,

You can find a recommended company under our Interlaken activities section here (filter on sport/paragliding).

Also, if you search the forum (search box top right) for paragliding you will find many posts about the same topic with member’s suggestions.

Cheers!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 7:41:20 #879535

Thank you Lucas.

do we need to make prior reservations with these operators?since our plans may change a bit based on the weather, want to be sure we are not losing on any prepayment we make for the booking and later unable to make it for the booked slot☹️

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 9:28:59 #879536

Hi Baatasaari,

I don’t know if available spots fill up quickly. I personally would book it max a week in advance.

If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee. If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 15:27:58 #879537

The links have been helpful, thanks.

Can you help me understand how much time should we allocate for a trip to The First – Grindelwald? We plan to do the walk on the bridge and a couple of activities like flying down with the First Flyer or the trotti bike.

Also, is there a separate entrance fee for the First, other than the cost for the Gondola from the valley to the top? How much do the entrance ticket and the Gondola cost? I am thinking there is a 25% discount on the Gondola if we have the Swiss pass, correct?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 0:55:36 #879538

>> Can you help me understand how much time should we allocate for a trip to The First – Grindelwald? We plan to do the walk on the bridge and a couple of activities like flying down with the First Flyer or the trotti bike.

Probably a good half day.

• The First Cliff Walk takes 10-15 minutes each way.
    • The Trottibike Scooter activity is only available 5 May to 28 Oct 2018, so if you are there in late April it won’t be an option.
    • The actual ride on the First Flyer is over very quickly, but you might need to factor in waiting time, as there is often a lengthy queue – though perhaps it’s not so bad in April, which is low season.

>> Also, is there a separate entrance fee for the First, other than the cost for the Gondola from the valley to the top?

No.

>> How much do the entrance ticket and the Gondola cost?

The gondola from Grindelwald to First costs CHF 30 each way (full fare, adult).

>> I am thinking there is a 25% discount on the Gondola if we have the Swiss pass, correct?

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, you get 50% discount.

You can download a map from the link below, showing what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

As explained in the legend on the map, red lines are trains, yellow lines are buses, black lines are cable cars, white lines are boats. Solid lines are free, dotted lines are discounted. Discounts are mostly 50%, but only 25% for transport where you see the number “1” inside circle near the dotted line. There are a few grey lines on the map as well, which indicate transport that is not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. Dashed red lines on the map are railway tunnels, and are on routes that are free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 11:02:45 #879539

Thanks for the detailed reply Alpeneose.

sad to know that the trottibikes will not be available. Would that be the case with the mountain cart as well? ☹️

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 22:40:30 #879540

Hi Baatasaari,

>> sad to know that the trottibikes will not be available. Would that be the case with the mountain cart as well?

Yes, I’m afraid so! The mountain carts have the same operational season as the Trottibikes.

The reason for that is probably that first week in May is the earliest that they can be sure the path is unlikely to be blocked by snow.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 12:18:31 #879541

Hows the weather now in INterlaken? I see rain forecast until end of April. Does it really last until then every year? (praying for clear skies by then)

Also, want to understand would these be heavy rains or just light?Any suggestions on how we could plan our day trips/itineraries with the rain in forecast? Unfortunately we can’t move the dates as we have all the booking done 🙁

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 18:07:36 #879542

Hi Baatasaari,

I wouldn’t worry much about the weather two weeks from now – it can change by then. I don’t put much worth in forecasts more than 5 days out (2 days if looking at mountain tops).

You can check weather forecasts for Switzerland here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 9:24:33 #879543

Hi Alpenrose

Would it be possible to do both the Jungfrau top of Europe and Grindelwald in a single day? We will be starting from Wilderswil. So am thinking we can go up the Jungfrau, via Luterbrunnene route, and in return come down to Grindelwald. Also make a visit to The First. Would that be doable?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 11:29:06 #879544

If you get an early start certainly – be flexible with weather conditions though. Don’t go to look at the inside of clouds. 🙂

First may or may not be doable…it all depends on how much time you spend on the mountain top. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 16:02:46 #879545

Lucas

When i meant Grindelwald… i was checking if we could do the First after the Jungfrau top.

We also intend to go Schithorn. Between The First and Schilthorn what would you recommend, if we have to skip one?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 16:56:50 #879546

If you are using the Swiss Travel Pass I’d go with Schilthorn as it is free.

Otherwise tough call! I can’t think of any reason to skip either. I’d lean to going to First in the end – easier to get to from Grindelwald.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2018 at 14:28:38 #879547

Okay! The only reason i want to go to the First is for doing some activitie. I am aware the mountain kart and trotti bike may not be open but I could still walk on the bridge and do the zipliner! Do we have any such avtiviites at Schilthorn?

This being summer, what is the general sunset time?! I read somewhere that viewing the sunset from Schithorn or beautiful! If we want to wait that late on the top would we have the trains/cable cars back from the mountain?!

I am planning to have an early start to the day, head to Jungfrau and on the way back go to Schithorn. Would that be too hectic?!

Annika
    7124 posts
    21 April 2018 at 16:56:05 #879548

Hi Baatasaari!

You’d probably enjoy the viewing terrace and the thrill walk at Birg, half-way up between Mürren and Schilthorn. It’s different from the activities at First of course, but you may still like it. Will you be traveling by the end of April? In that case there are no sunset cable car rides yet; they’re only available in July and August. In April the latest cable car down to Mürren will leave Schilthorn at 17h55. By the way, are you aware that that the Schilthorn cable cars won’t be running from April 23 to April 27, due to maintenance? I hope you can avoid these dates for your planned visit.

Please find sunrise and sunset times here: http://www.myswissalps.com/time.

Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn can well be combined in one day if you don’t start off too late.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 20:36:43 #879549

Oh oh! We are exactly on those dates… we landed today 23rd and will be flyin out on 26th!

we plan to have an early start and do the Top of Europe and tthe Schilthorn tomorrow.

Annika – so are tou saying there is no way we can go top of Schilthorn and visit the Piz galeria due to the cable cards maintenance? Can we atleast go till Brig to do the thrill walk?! but again, is it really worth spending time going till there if we eventually cant go to Schilthorn?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 5:36:56 #879550

>> so are tou saying there is no way we can go top of Schilthorn and visit the Piz galeria due to the cable cards maintenance?

That’s right, unfortunately.

>> Can we atleast go till Brig to do the thrill walk?!

No, the whole cableway is closed for maintenance.

By the way, rockoyster alerted you to closures of mountain transport in the Jungfrau Region on at least two previous occasions: in his post of Feb 20, 2018 – 5:22 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/3-nights-itnry-which-travel-pass-pays-off

and again in his post of Mar 23, 2018 – 6:08 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/swiss-pass-and-local-commuting

Looks like you might have missed them, or forgotten about them 🙁

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 6:08:34 #879551

Yup absolutely 😩

are there any other mountain tops i could do for free with the STP along with Jungfrau on the same day?

does the weather seem good to go to top of europe?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 13:16:21 #879552

>> are there any other mountain tops i could do for free with the STP along with Jungfrau on the same day?

Nothing comes to mind.

>> does the weather seem good to go to top of europe?

Weather forecasts are not reliable more than 24-48 hours in advance. You can check it here:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/live/weather/#jungf raujoch

Check visibility on top before buying your tickets:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/live/webcams/

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Interlaken & Grindelwald -Paragliding suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.