Is our Wengen area itinerary for Aug/Sept doable?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2019 at 6:34:24 #822278

We are a party of 4 adults spending 4 nights, based in Wengen in late August/early September. We will have 3 full days and a half day on arrival. We appreciate that our plans are weather dependent but would like to know if these plans are doable in the 3 days.

*Mannlichen, walk to Kleine Scheidegg then weather permitting go to Jungfraujoch ( could do this in reverse order) Would this be a full day?

*walk through Lauterbrunnen, visit Trummelbach Falls, can we go on to Mürren & Schilthorn from there to do the Thrill Walk? Would this be a full day?

* Schynige Platte & Alpine Garden, Wilderswil, Lake Brienz cruise.

We are open to suggestions for any other special places. People have recommended Harder Kulm, would it be worth including?

Do you have any suggestions for our first afternoon if the weather is kind to us.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 June 2019 at 7:33:11 #915201

Hi Lyjo,

I would say your hike and Jungfrau excursion would take most of day 1.

For your day 2 my standard recommendation for the western side of the Lauterbrunnen Valley is . . . . “From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schiltorn (don’t miss The Thrill Walk at Birg) and even Allmendhubel if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. The entire circuit and side trips are free with the Swiss Travel Pass apart from the Allmendhubel Funicular (50% discount) and the Falls (modest entry fee).”

Day 3 looks fine. You could even squeeze Harder Kulm in there as well.

First afternoon? Relax in anticipation of 3 busy days ahead. 😉

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    15 June 2019 at 14:33:40 #915202

First day you may do a lake cruise from Interlaken. I felt very relaxing cruising on lakes

Annika
    7125 posts
    15 June 2019 at 17:23:23 #915203

Hi Lyjo!

Yes, your plans look fine to me. The combinations you’ve mentioned should all be doable quite well, if you don’t start off too late each day. I’ve added some links to you post, in case you or other readers need more information about the hikes and scenic trips you’re planning. The timetable may be of help in finetuning your plans: myswissalps.com/timeta ble.

Harder Kulm can be a nice addition indeed, for a late afternoon or evening visit for example. If weather is clear you’ll have a gorgeous view of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau and the lakes surrounding Interlaken. if you’re really lucky, you may even experience the special treat of “Alpenglühen” up there, when the setting sun sheds a reddish light on the mountains.

Did you already consider rail passes? A Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland (myswissalps.com/region alpassberneseoberland) or a Swiss Half Fare Card (myswissalps.com/swissh alffarecard) might be a good fit. Here’s how to calculate which option suits your plans best: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass.

Mark
    Participant
    805 posts
    15 June 2019 at 19:58:38 #915204

Hi Lyjo

your itinerary looks fine to me as well.

As to the half day on arrival what you do my depend on how much jet lag you have and how you feel. I am usually pretty tired after the plane ride then train ride to Wengen and checking into a hotel so I usually just walk around Wengen and have some refreshments. But should you feel in good shape you could do the Mannlichen to KS walk which takes about 1.45 hrs. Then on day 1 go strait to Jungfraujoch and afterward go to Grindelwald and up to First and maybe walk to Bachalpsee. This of course may be more ambitious than you are comfortable with but is doable I think.

Day 2 I would definitely take Rockoyster ‘s suggestion.

Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2019 at 5:50:42 #915205

Thanks rockoyster, I appreciate your detailed information especially about the modes of transport connecting each place. I will investigate your suggestions for the day we visit Lauterbrunnen, Mürren etc. Many thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2019 at 5:53:00 #915206

Thanks for your reply Shroffchetan, we will definitely do a lake cruise at some time during our stay. Many thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2019 at 5:58:37 #915207

Thanks Annika, your suggestion for visiting Harder Kulm is a great idea, I have checked out the sunset times for the days we are there and we will certainly consider this. Could you advise me please about how long it would take to get back to Wengen from Harder Kulm? We have already arranged to get a Swiss Travel Pass as we will be in Switzerland for 17 days. Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2019 at 6:03:54 #915208

Thanks for your reply Mark, by the time we get to Wengen we will have already had 11 days in Switzerland so jet lag won’t be an issue. If the weather is good on the day we arrive we will certainly take advantage of it and the Mannlichen -KS would be a great start. Thank you.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 June 2019 at 6:52:30 #915209

Hello Lyjo,

You can use the SBB timetable that Annika linked to to work out the travel time from Interlaken Ost (the Harder Kulm Funicular base station is about 10 minutes walk from the station) to Wengen.

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    16 June 2019 at 10:53:35 #915210

Hi Lyjo,

Why not include a cruise on your way to Wengen? Depending on which direction you are coming from, you could sail from Brienz to Interlaken Ost or Thun to Interlaken West. Luggage is no problem on the boats and the ship stations in Thun, Brienz and Interlaken are all very close to their respective railway stations.

If you prefer to get to Wengen sooner, then there’s a pleasant stroll downhill to Mönchblick with wonderful views up the Lauterbrunnen Valley. In the same direction and slightly more strenuous go uphill in the Leiterhorn direction for views over Zweilutschinen and across to Schynige Platte as well as to Interlaken.

Or perhaps you may prefer to wander in the opposite direction towards and beyond Mary’s Cafe. More tremendous views including all the way back to Interlaken where you can easily spot tower shape of the Hotel Metropole. (Why on earth were they allowed to build such a thing there?)

Walks are signposted from the station or the tourist office people by the cable car station are very helpful. There are any number of possibilities for for an afternoon walk around Wengen.

Andrew

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2019 at 11:26:47 #915211

Thanks Andrew, we will be arriving by train from Montreux. I will look into your suggestions. I haven’t heard of Monchblick so will check it out. It is funny that you mentioned Mary’s Cafe, friends of ours went there a number of years ago and were telling us about it recently. Many thanks

• The thread ‘Is our Wengen area itinerary for Aug/Sept doable?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.