A pass to cover all cable cars in Jungfrau?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2017 at 13:07:25 #812362

I am travelling to Grindwald in July to support my daughter in a mountain trail run. I hope to be using the cable cars frequently is there a pass I can purchase that will make them free? The race organisers have a pass that makes them free for the duration of the race but no longer. Otherwise, does anybody know if it might be better if I buy a Swiss half rail pass and use it for my journey to the airport as well ?!! Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2017 at 15:57:44 #865585

Hi Norfolkite and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It depends on which gondolas you are referring to in that area. Your best bet would probably be the Jungfrau Travel Pass – you can read about where it is valid here.

The Swiss Half Fare Card is a good option as well – it will give you 50% off all trains, gondolas, boats etc. within Switzerland (none are free) but you will get a discount as you said on the train from (Zurich?) airport. The only drawback here is you still have to buy a ticket for every trip you make.

Lastly, you could look at the Swiss Travel Pass which will cover all trains and many but not all gondolas (and boats etc) in Switzerland. Some areas are only discounted though – so be sure to read the where it is valid page before you decide. It may be more than you need if you are just taking a few gondolas in the Grindelwald area and just the train to/from the airport though.

I hope that helps with your decision!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2017 at 17:34:18 #865586

Ah thank you Lucas for you quick and lengthy reply! I shall read up about the Jungfrau Travel Pass and weigh things up as whether to get that or stick with the half pass. I’ve not worked out the gondolas I need for the run yet but heard the gondolas can be expensive if you use them a lot and was trying to avoid that. The half pass will be good from Zurich to Grindelwald too. Thanks again for your help!

• The thread ‘A pass to cover all cable cars in Jungfrau?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.