Sep 13, 2015 - 9:18 PM
We are quite sure that we will be traveling by car as we like to make stops on the way & be a bit spontaneous. (I also believe that it will be cheaper since we have 4 people.) $225.00 US dollars for 4 days picking it up on Day 2 in Zurich & getting rid of it Day 5 in Geneva.
1. We fly into Zurich late at night & crash the 1st night. (Day 1)
2. We pick up our car in Zurich & then drive to Lucerne (Day 2)
3. We drive from Lucerne to Lautterbrunnen Valley where we stay for 3 nights at the Lauterbrunnen Valley Hostel (thought that this would be fun for the kids to experience); we stay for Day 3, 4, & 5. We would like to do the Jungfrau if we happen to have a clear day; I believe the price is approx. $180.00. Since we are there for 3 days, we thought that we would take the various gondolas & trains to the various small villages around there, SO, DOES IT MAKE SENSE TO BUY THE JUNGFRAUJOCH TRAIN PASS which would cover the Jung frau at 100%, correct? It would also cover all the comings & goings of "let's go here & let's go there", right during our 3 day visit? I just have know idea how expensive all those various modes of transportation will be.
4. Near the end of day 5, we need to drive to Geneva to drop off our 21 year old & 23 year old who will fly out of Genevea to our relatives in Hungary while we attend a conference in Montreux. THEN, we thought that we would drop off our car in Geneva & then the 2 of us take a train to Montreux for the 3 day conference for hubby & myself.
5. Day 8, the 2 of us take the train back to Geneva, meet our children who will have come back from Hungary, & then flight home from Geneva.
I know in all of my reading that everyone recommends the trains for the main travel, but given our itinerary with the conference, I don't see any advantages......HOWEVER, I am still open for ideas as I just have my car on hold.
Thank-you for all of your insightfulness!
We have 2 20 years traveling with us.