Hiking in the Lauterbrunnen Valley in October

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 September 2019 at 18:51:14 #824004

Hello, my husband and I will be traveling to Switzerland in a little less than 2 weeks. Switzerland is full of natural beauty and the 72 waterfalls that cover the Lauterbrunnen Valley are one of the main things that attracted us to the gorgeous country.We love being outdoors and would LOVE to be able to hike and see all 72 falls on one day hike.

I have done some searching online and have read that you can travel from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp via a steep incline or a tram. Then on to Murren along a gentle forest path, crossing a dozen streams, one of which is the Staubbach whose waters quickly plunge over a cliff and form Staubbach Falls, passing the Winteregg dairy on the right. Then descending to Gimmelwald where we will then head towards Trummelbach Falls, and back onto Lauterbrunnen. Although, we will most likely be doing this in the reverse order, so that we start with a stroll through the beautiful city of Lauterbrunnen.

I have not been able to find this hike/walk on a trail map on anywhere else. Having said that, what I am wondering is if it is even necessary to travel up to Grutschalp then to Murren? Are there falls up there that we would be able to see from the trail? Are all 72 waterfalls accessible?

Does anyone have an suggestions on how to see the most waterfalls in Lauterbrunnen on a day hike?

Thanks so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 September 2019 at 0:08:36 #922771

Hi TeaganS-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

I’d stay on the valley floor. There is a bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg. Lauterbrunnen is a tint own, not a city.

map.search.ch/?pos=639840,158608&z=32 &poi=bergbahn,halteste lle,zug

Trails-

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=4&E=26 29500.00&N=1164850.00

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Anna
    6382 posts
    28 September 2019 at 8:23:54 #922772

Hi TeaganS,

I’m assuming you will arrive before the 27th October because most of the mountain railways and cable cars in the Jungfrau region will be closed for maintenance between 28th Oct and mid November, some earlier. So if you want to hike in the mountains, you might want to plan your arrival earlier.

Indeed Lauterbrunnen is well known for its waterfalls, not all of them are easily accessible unfortunately. The Staubbach Falls and the Trümmelbach Falls are the two most accessible ones. You can simply walk to the waterfalls or take the bus from the Lauterbrunnen station to get there.

Information about the trail:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lauterbrunnen-stechelberg

Here’s a link to the trail up to Mürren. No waterfalls I’m afraid but you get a nice view from the top
    http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/gruetschalp-muerren

If you have time, you might want to visit the Giessbach Falls on Lake Brienz. It’s not that far from Lauterbrunnen. You can even include a boat ride into the trip.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/giessbach-iseltwald
    http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakebrienz

Have fun chasing waterfalls 🙂

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 September 2019 at 10:50:40 #922773

Hi Anna,

i just come across your comment here, you mentioned from 28 october ti mid Novemver, most of the mountain railways and cable cars in Jangfrau region will be closed, you mean even including the Shilthorn as well. I am arriving Interlaken on 31 Oct and planning up to Schilthorn and surrounding area there on 1st of Nov, 2019.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 September 2019 at 13:15:24 #922774

Hi Swincooper –

<<“Jangfrau [Jungfrau] region will be closed, you mean even including the Shilthorn [Schilthorn] as

well. I am arriving Interlaken on 31 Oct and planning up to Shilthron [Schilthorn]

and surrounding area there on 1st of Nov, 2019.”>>

http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/gettingthere

“Dates of operation

The cable car from Mürren to Schilthorn does not operate from 23 to 26 April 2019 and from 11 November to 6 December 2019. Services on the route Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp-Mürren won’t run from April 29 to May 3, and from October 21 to November 8 2019. Please check again later for further dates.”

Slowpoke

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    28 September 2019 at 19:28:20 #922775

Re: waterfalls, Staubbach and Trümmelbach are stunning and the entire area is gorgeous. However, at some point I’m sure someone counted 72 waterfalls in the Valley but after 21 visits I’ve never seen more than 4 or 5, most of which are mere trickles down rock faces. So set your expectations! That said, I do think the Lauterbrunnen Valley is one of the most beautiful places on the planet

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 September 2019 at 21:59:24 #922776

Hi Kim….

I recall that in the Spring, when there is a lot of snow melt, more falls pop up in the general vicinity of the Staubbachfälle. I’ve stopped going to the Berner Oberland in the Spring, so it has been quite a while. …

;-(

Certainly, late Fall is likely to be the low point of snow melt flows. So, there certainly won’t be a whole lot of action, as you note.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2019 at 8:54:47 #922777

Hi Slowpoke,

Thank you for the helpful information. I am so glad as I can keep my internary up and run to Schilthorn in the morning via Lauterbrunnen-Stechelberg-Gimmelwald-Murren -Schilthorn on my desired date👍.

On way back from Schilthorn, as I am planning to hike, exploring the sceneries of the valley, along the trail starting from Murren to Gimmelwald so I just a bit concern about the weather conditions, then board on a cable car and bus back to Lauterbrunnen. How will the weather be around the start of November? Hopefully, I can see the beautiful view at Schilthorn and surrounding area.

Also, Thank you for correcting my typo, cheers

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 September 2019 at 9:15:55 #922778

Hi Swincooper-

There could be snow on those higher trails.

They were closed due to snow in early September for a few days.. By November 1, there is a possibility that they will be closed.

Do I understand you correctly that you intend to climb from Stechelberg at around 860-900 meters to Schilthorn at 2970 meters?

Or only from Mürren at 1630 meters to Schilthorn at 2970 meters?

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=7&E=26 33346.53&N=1156575.10

In either case, it’s a tough climb at a n awkward time of year. Are you in training for high altitude climbing? And, keep an eye on the weather…..which can change rapidly in the high Alps.

http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather

I am a very cautious person, and worry about safety on those difficult trails. Even more so at that time of year with the possibility of sudden weather changes. So, for about 30 USD per year, I belong to REGA, a helicopter rescue service.

http://www.rega.ch/en/home.as px

If you don’t belong, they’ll still rescue you, but you’ll get a bill for thousands of dollars afterward, instead of $30 ahead of the hike.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2019 at 9:38:47 #922779

Hi Slowpoke,

Sorry for the confusion, I mean that I am still able to take a bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelburg, then cable car to Murren, and Murren to Schilthorn as the public transport will still operate at that time. After that, on the return from the top, only hiking on the short way back between Murren and Gimmelwald. At the end, taking cable car from Gimmelwald, and bus back to Lauterbrunnen.

Thank you for helpful info

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 September 2019 at 22:46:16 #922780

Glad it works for you.

<<“Stechelburg”>> is Stechelberg.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Hiking in the Lauterbrunnen Valley in October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.