Lucerne – 4 nights – Itinerary advice please

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 9:10:58 #811646

Hi,

We (two adults and two kids aged 8 and 1) are visiting Lucerne in June.

Landing in Zurich on 10th June 11.30 AM and departing Zurich on 14th June 5 PM.

Will stay near Lucerne for all the nights (most probably in Kriens).

I have this plan tentatively.

Day 1 – Lucerne Town

Day 2 – Mt Rigi and Lake Lucerne boat ride (can be done in one day?)

Day 3 – Day trip to Interlaken (by train) – Can I include near by places by Bern or Lauterbrunnen or Grindlewald?

Day 4 – Need to plan a day trip – Suggestions please.

Day 5 – Lucerne town and train to Zurich airport

Can you please suggest the suitable day trips from Lucerne?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 14:13:15 #862658

Hi Ravikovela and welcome to MySwissAlps!

There are plenty of options for day trips from Luzern (local German spelling). Have a look at our recommended activities near Luzern here.

Is there anything specific you would like to do? Some top choices are visiting Mt. Pilatus or taking the Golden Pass panoramic train to Montreux etc.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 14:40:26 #862659

Thank you Lucas for the reply.

I am basically interested in the scenaray, land scapes, lakes etc.

yes, i will include mt. Pilatus also into my schedule.

I considered Montreux, but it is too much of train ride 5 hrs each way. I am looking around 2 to 2.5 hrs each way.

What about Bern? is it a must visit city?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 15:33:38 #862660

Luzern to Montreux is a bit of a long day on the Golden Panorama train yes – I would only do it if you want to be on that train (it is a little under 3 hours if you take a regional train).

Bern is a very nice city to explore – I quite like it – and it’s an easier 1.5 hours each way from Luzern.

You can check out all train timetables here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 5:28:18 #862661

>> Will stay near Lucerne for all the nights (most probably in Kriens).

Kriens isn’t very central or particularly attractive. Were you unable to find anything suitable in a more central location?

>> Day 3 – Day trip to Interlaken (by train) – Can I include near by places by Bern or Lauterbrunnen or Grindlewald?

I would suggest to skip Bern (beautiful city, but too much for one day) and skip Interlaken (the least scenic town in the Jungfrau Region). On arrival in Interlaken, go straight up to Wengen or Mürren via Lauterbrunnen, or to Grindelwald. Enjoy the spectacular scenery, the beautiful villages, and perhaps take some cable car/gondola rides to Männlichen (from Wengen or Grindelwald), the Schilthorn (from Mürren) or First (from Grindelwald).

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 11:30:21 #862662

Thank you Alpenrose for your reply.

I will check for the hotel in Luzern.

I am not spending any time in Interlaken, train to Interlaken and from there take one of the trips either to Wenger or Grindelwald. Thank you for your suggestion.

I have free day on Day 4 – Can you please suggest some options from Lucerne? Is Mt.Pilatus good choice or any other?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 0:29:20 #862663

>> I have free day on Day 4 – Can you please suggest some options from Lucerne? Is Mt.Pilatus good choice or any other?

Yes, Pilatus or the Stanserhorn would be a good choice. Each of the mountains has something different to offer, both in terms of the views from the top and the experience of getting there in different forms of transport.

http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus

http://www.myswissalps.com/st anserhorn

The Museum of Transport would probably be a lot of fun for your 8-year-old.

http://www.myswissalps.com/mu seumoftransport

Bern would also be a good place for a day trip. (When I recommended you skip it in my previous post, that was just on the basis that there would not be enough time to go to Bern as well as the Jungfrau Region in one day).

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rn

A boat trip all the way to Flüelen would also be good, as the mountain scenery gets more dramatic at the Flüelen end of the Vierwaldstättersee (Lake Lucerne). It’s a 3-hour trip, but you can come back by train, which only takes an hour. The station is adjacent to the wharf.

Hopefully one of those suggestions will suit you.

Alpenrose

udayaditya
    Participant
    55 posts
    4 May 2017 at 13:48:06 #862664

Hi Alpennrose

Which is your personal favourite….Rigi or Mt Pilatus…..I may have time for only one

Bye

Udayaditya

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 14:31:13 #862665

That’s a decision you will need to make for yourself 😉

There’s plenty of information to read about each, to help you decide. Otherwise, toss a coin 😉

Alpenrose

udayaditya
    Participant
    55 posts
    4 May 2017 at 19:25:29 #862666

Seems like have to toss a Franc..haha

Thanks so much for such detailed information you always volunteer

Udayaditya

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 21:30:27 #862667

Hi All,

Based on your feedback, I am thinking of the following itinerary. Please suggest if it can be done or needs any modification.

Day 1 and 5 – Arrival and Departure from Lucerne, Lucerne Town

Day 2 – Mt Rigi, then boat from Weggis to Fluelen, return by train to Lucerne

Day 3 – Lucerne to Interken to Wengen / Grindelwald

Day 4 – Mt Pilatus in the morning and Bern in the afternoon.

other question – Can I take the baby stroller when I visit Mt Rigi and mt Pilatus?

Thank you.

Ravi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2017 at 0:54:37 #862668

>> Day 1 and 5 – Arrival and Departure from Lucerne, Lucerne Town

Day 2 – Mt Rigi, then boat from Weggis to Fluelen, return by train to Lucerne

Day 3 – Lucerne to Interken to Wengen / Grindelwald

Day 4 – Mt Pilatus in the morning and Bern in the afternoon.

Hi Ravi,

That looks pretty good. Just note that the last boat departs Weggis for Flüelen at 15:53 on 15 June.

>> Can I take the baby stroller when I visit Mt Rigi and mt Pilatus?

You can take the baby stroller with you, but will need to fold it up when travelling on mountain transport, and probably on boats as well.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2017 at 11:34:52 #862669

Thank you Alpenrose.

Where can I find the time table for the boats? I checked in http://www.sbb.ch/en, but it is giving the schedule for the trains most of the time.

How much time I need to plan for Mt.Pilatus? I plan to take the boat to Alpnachtstad , then cogwheel train and return to Kriens bu Cable car.

Regards

Ravi

Annika
    7125 posts
    6 May 2017 at 12:24:23 #862670

Hi Ravi,

A link to the Lake Lucerne boat timetable can be found here, under “More on other websites”.

The Pilatus trip takes about half a day.

• The thread ‘Lucerne – 4 nights – Itinerary advice please’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.