Luzern and Bernese Oberland trip in Dec 2019

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2020 at 17:50:30 #824823

We an Indian family of 4 had a 4 day trip to from 21st to 26th dec . Simply wonderful . Went to Lucerne, Titlis, Lauterbrunnen, Schilthorn . Stayed at Lucerne throughout but in hindsight would have been better to have shifted the base to Interlaken after 2 days as it is the central point of exploration for Bernese Oberland Region . Guys do not miss this region . It rained in valleys and snowed in higher regions throughout the trip but undoubtedly the most beautiful places I have ever been . Schilthorn was a disappointment particularly after reaching Murren as snowfall prevented going out on top and at Birg . Swiss Travel Pass is the best option however can be strategically combined with Tell Pass if stay is long. Always have umbrellas handy Also coming from 4.5 hour eastern time zone we faced problem at Dinner time because by the time our body clocks signalled hunger everything had shut down. Markets start closing here 6 pm onwards unlike 9 pm in India. Also on 25th and 26th all eating places were closed. My wife , a Vegan had great difficulty in finding food. However we are enchanted by this place and already planning to go again in 2020.

one advice – Many Swiss trains do not give power outlet for mobile charging and there are few public charging points . so please carry a powerbank. Twice I was stuck with a dead phone . Photos and videos drain battery and they will be plentiful in this lovely country

One word for -“my Swiss Alps” – best site I have ever seen however one wishes that they provide some information on what to expect in different seasons to enable one to plan better and a link to holidays list

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2020 at 13:45:47 #927578

Hi Guptsan83,

Thank you very much for sharing your travel experiences with us. I am glad you enjoyed your 4 days at in Lucerne and the Jungfrau region.

I am sorry to hear that you had problems finding vegetarian restaurants and meals for your wife. True, the typical Swiss specialities like raclette and fondue are made from cheese.

Thank you for your tips too, I am sure, other travelers will appreciate them as well.

Regarding the seasons, and what to expect in each months, have you seen this: http://www.myswissalps.com/besttimetovisit?

Thanks again,

Ildiko

Annika
    7125 posts
    9 January 2020 at 7:08:09 #927579

Hi Guptsan83! Thank you for your trip report and for your kind words about out website! I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your trip to Switzerland. In addition to the link with seasonal information provided by Ildikó: we mention public holidays at http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/culturehistory/publicholidays, and provide a link to a more complete overview at that page as well.

• The thread ‘Luzern and Bernese Oberland trip in Dec 2019’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.