Luzern-Lauterbrunnen-Vevey trip plans

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 15:12:32 #816558

Hello! My girlfriend and I will be visiting Switzerland from 9th August to 17th August. We are planning to visit Luzern, Lauterbrunnen and Vevey. I was wondering could anyone help me by suggesting how many days should i stay in each city? I was planning to stay 9th to 13th in Luzern, 13th to 15th Lauterbrunnen and 15th to 17th Vevey. Does this sound like a comfortable schedule?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance!

Warmest regards,

Henry

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 4:05:52 #887906

What do you like to do? My sister and I are just finishing up our trip. We stayed 2 nights in Luzern, 2 in Vevey and 4 in Wengen. We found that a day and a half of sightseeing in Luzern was enough for us. The area around Lauterbrunnen is absolutely gorgeous so you might think about giving that more time. Also, you might consider staying in Wengen rather than Lauterbrunnen, the scenery in Wengen is spectacular.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 5:38:42 #887907

Hi Hentheman,

The comfort level of that schedule will depend on what you want to do each day. And you didn’t mention what you are hoping to see/do. If you want to spend most of your times in and around some of the Swiss Alps you’ll want to extend your stay in the Jungfrau region (around Lauterbrunnen).

You might find the following links helpful for ideas on what to can be done in and around those towns:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 13:22:54 #887908

Hi Mapara and Lucas!

Thank you for the reply! 🙂 I have looked through the different websites and came up with the following plan, might need to trouble you help me see whether it is feasible. 🙂 We are mainly planning to do some hiking and exploring the culture and nature in these 3 places.

9-12 Aug Luzern

9 Aug: We are planning to check out the old town

10 Aug: Day trips to Mt Pilatus

11 Aug: Day trip to Bern.

(We also wish to explore the lion monument area and the glacier garden. Which day would be better? Should we squeeze in another trip to either Titlus or Rigi or is this timeline suitable?)

12 Aug : Travel to Wengen and explore the area

13 Aug: Explore Lauterbrunnen and Murren

14 Aug: Take a day trip to Grindelwald and Jungfrau.

15 Aug: Travel to Vevey and explore the town

16: Trip to Chillon Castle, Montreux and Callier Chocolate factory/Vineyards in Laveux (Is it possible?)

17 Aug: Flight back home

Thank you for your kind assistance once again 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 13:24:10 #887909

Oh i would also like to ask, is there any way to squeeze in any scenic train ride (Eg Golden pass, glacier express) in my itinerary above? Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 22:04:23 #887910

Here’s my comments, keep in mind these comments are just my opinion.

You could take the scenic train from Interlaken to Montreux and then take a short train ride to Vevey.

I’m not sure that you need a whole day to explore old town in Luzern nor am I convinced that it’s worth spending a whole day in Bern. We squeezed in a quick visit to Bern on our way from Vevey to Wengen-there are lockers in the train station.

We were disappointed with the trip up to Junfrauloch-it is very touristy and crowded. Too much walking through tunnels with exhibits that made us feel like we were in Disney World. We enjoyed our trip up Mannlichen from Wengen a lot more. We didn’t get to do the hike at the top (Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg) because the trail was closed, but it’s supposed to be beautiful

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 11:54:51 #887911

Hi Hentheman,

You have more than enough time to see the lion monument and glacier garden on August 9. You can also do a mountain that day as well if you want to squeeze it in.

The Swiss railways timetable will give you schedules of public transport between any towns and mountains: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

You’ll want to move something on August 16 to August 15 to make the 16th less busy. Otherwise it looks good.

The Golden Pass route travels between Luzern – Interlaken – Zweisimmen – Montreux so you can do that route without issue (first when going to Wengen and then the rest when going to Montreux and Vevey). https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass/getti ngthere

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 18:27:21 #887912

Hi Lucas!

Thanks for your reply! Oh because i may not be arriving early morning in Lucern on August 9, most likely will arrive around 2-3pm. Would i still have time to see the lion monument and the glacier garden plus another mountain?

For August 15, is it worth making it a trip down to Callier Chocolate factory? or should i try for the vineyards instead?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 18:30:07 #887913

Hi Mapara!

Thank you for the reply!

How long did you spend in Bern? Because i was thinking it would just be touring around the old city and soaking up the culture.

Ya i have seen reviews about Mannlichen and Kleine Scheidegg and they looked really beautiful! But i thought Jungfrau is one the main mountains in Switzerland so i thought it would be worth going?

Thank you for your help once again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 22:45:21 #887914

We only spent a couple of hours in Bern-we walked through the old town, saw the bear and did a little shopping.

I think you should get more opinions about Junfrau-there’s a lot of advertising about it that makes you feel like you need to do it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2018 at 6:10:45 #887915

Ah well ok with a late afternoon arrival the mountain trip won’t work I don’t think. Unless you go straight there and then explore the town in the evening. Depends on how much you want to do that day.

Wine vs. chocolate is a personal opinion. :). Personally, I’d go to the vineyards and then buy some Swiss chocolate to eat later that day. Can’t go wrong either way!

Kleine Scheidegg to Männlichen is a great hike: https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking/maennlich en-kleinescheidegg

Jungfraujoch is the most popular mountain in Switzerland I think (the busiest anyway) and the highest one that is reachable without needing to be a professional mountain climber. It does have a lot going for it but it isn’t the only mountain in Switzerland (but definitely has the best marketing department!)
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/activities/natur alsites

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 14:58:21 #887916

Hi Lucas and Mapara!

Just a few other questions:

1)May i ask is it possible to squeeze both bern and zurich in one day? If not, what would be good to do from around bern area?

2) If i arrive in Wengen in the afternoon say around 1 pm ,what would be good activities to do in the afternoon?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 15:19:27 #887917

To answer your question about Bern & Zurich-it depends on what you want to do there. Certainly you could do both in a day if you just wanted to take a walk around to get a quick feel for each city. If you wanted to spend time in museums, it might be hard to fit both in.

After arriving in Wengen around 1, you could take a ride up Mannlichen and hike around up there, or you could take a hike for a couple of hours from Wengen. The last hike we took there was beautiful-it was a loop starting out near the Hotel Falken & went by meadows (and cows!), through forests while seeing snow capped mountains. The hike we did the first day started near the Park Hotel, looped back to Wengen and had a nice lookout over the valley.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 16:51:32 #887918

Hi Hentheman,

1. Mapara’s answer is about right. Depends on what you want to do/see. I always liked Bern more as a city to explore than Zurich. Maybe I got bored living in Zurich though. haha. https://www.myswissalp s.com/bern
    2. For a list of activities and hiking options around Wengen look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/wengen/activitie s
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 9:06:17 #887919

Hi all!

Thank you all for the help so far! I am in the process of booking the train tickets from Wengen to Vevey and i am quite keen for a trip on the Golden pass line! I took a look at the SBB website and came across with the itinerary attached (Photo attached). Just three questions:

1)Not sure whether i am reading this correctly but is this itinerary inclusive of the golden pass line from zweisimmen to montreux? or do i have to book via the golden pass website directly?

2) If i choose first class tickets, does it apply for every train ride in this itinerary?

3) Do i still have to reserve seats if i purchase first class tickets? If yes, how do i do so?

Thanks for the help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 15:39:37 #887920
    1. That itinerary includes the Golden Pass route (Interlaken to Montreux, via Spiez and Zweisimmen). You can reserve seats on the line as well but it is optional. I would reserve on the MOB panoramic train between Zweisimmen and Montreux: https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass/packa ges
    2. Yes
    3. Yes, see link above.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2018 at 13:30:12 #887921

Hi Lucas!

Thank you for the quick reply but i am a little confused, so does this mean i need to book the tickets via the sbb website as shown in my attached photo, and i still have to purchase the reservations seperately?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2018 at 18:43:28 #887922

Are you buying a Swiss rail pass of some sort?
    If you have a Swiss Travel Pass for example, no tickets would be needed. https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass

I would reserve the section between Zweisimmen and Montreux though as the panoramic train on that route gets very busy: https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 14:04:31 #887923

Hi lucas!

II will most likely get the Swiss travel half pass. So meaning I will book the tickets via the sbb website and in addition, I have to purchase reservations separately from happyrail.com?

WWarmest regards

Henry

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 15:47:33 #887924

Hi Henry,

Yes. You can buy tickets online with the Swiss Half Fare discount here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/traintickets/swi tzerlandhalffare

And Golden Pass reservations can be made here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass/packa ges

Happy Travels!

• The thread ‘Luzern-Lauterbrunnen-Vevey trip plans’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.