Luzern- Lauterbrunnen- Vevey trip plans

Luzern- Lauterbrunnen- Vevey trip plans

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Hentheman
Hentheman
7 posts
Jun 10, 2018 - 3:12 PM

Hello! My girlfriend and I will be visiting Switzerland from 9th August to 17th August. We are planning to visit Luzern, Lauterbrunnen and Vevey. I was wondering could anyone help me by suggesting how many days should i stay in each city? I was planning to stay 9th to 13th in Luzern, 13th to 15th Lauterbrunnen and 15th to 17th Vevey. Does this sound like a comfortable schedule?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance!

Warmest regards,

Henry

Mapara
Mapara
11 posts
Jun 11, 2018 - 4:05 AM

What do you like to do? My sister and I are just finishing up our trip. We stayed 2 nights in Luzern, 2 in Vevey and 4 in Wengen. We found that a day and a half of sightseeing in Luzern was enough for us. The area around Lauterbrunnen is absolutely gorgeous so you might think about giving that more time. Also, you might consider staying in Wengen rather than Lauterbrunnen, the scenery in Wengen is spectacular.

Lucas
Lucas
6329 posts
expert &
Jun 11, 2018 - 5:38 AM in reply to Hentheman

Hi Hentheman,

The comfort level of that schedule will depend on what you want to do each day. And you didn't mention what you are hoping to see/do. If you want to spend most of your times in and around some of the Swiss Alps you'll want to extend your stay in the Jungfrau region (around Lauterbrunnen).

You might find the following links helpful for ideas on what to can be done in and around those towns:

Last modified on Jun 11, 2018 - 6:13 AM by Arno
Hentheman
Hentheman
7 posts
Jun 13, 2018 - 1:22 PM in reply to Mapara

Hi Mapara and Lucas!

Thank you for the reply! :) I have looked through the different websites and came up with the following plan, might need to trouble you help me see whether it is feasible. :) We are mainly planning to do some hiking and exploring the culture and nature in these 3 places.

9-12 Aug Luzern

9 Aug: We are planning to check out the old town

10 Aug: Day trips to Mt Pilatus

11 Aug: Day trip to Bern.

(We also wish to explore the lion monument area and the glacier garden. Which day would be better? Should we squeeze in another trip to either Titlus or Rigi or is this timeline suitable?)

12 Aug : Travel to Wengen and explore the area

13 Aug: Explore Lauterbrunnen and Murren

14 Aug: Take a day trip to Grindelwald and Jungfrau.

15 Aug: Travel to Vevey and explore the town

16: Trip to Chillon Castle, Montreux and Callier Chocolate factory/Vineyards in Laveux (Is it possible?)

17 Aug: Flight back home

Thank you for your kind assistance once again :)

Last modified on Jun 13, 2018 - 1:26 PM by Hentheman
Hentheman
Hentheman
7 posts
Jun 13, 2018 - 1:24 PM in reply to Lucas

Oh i would also like to ask, is there any way to squeeze in any scenic train ride (Eg Golden pass, glacier express) in my itinerary above? Thank you!

Mapara
Mapara
11 posts
Jun 13, 2018 - 10:04 PM

Here's my comments, keep in mind these comments are just my opinion.

You could take the scenic train from Interlaken to Montreux and then take a short train ride to Vevey.

I'm not sure that you need a whole day to explore old town in Luzern nor am I convinced that it's worth spending a whole day in Bern. We squeezed in a quick visit to Bern on our way from Vevey to Wengen-there are lockers in the train station.

We were disappointed with the trip up to Junfrauloch-it is very touristy and crowded. Too much walking through tunnels with exhibits that made us feel like we were in Disney World. We enjoyed our trip up Mannlichen from Wengen a lot more. We didn't get to do the hike at the top (Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg) because the trail was closed, but it's supposed to be beautiful

Lucas
Lucas
6329 posts
expert &
Jun 14, 2018 - 11:54 AM in reply to Hentheman

Hi Hentheman,

You have more than enough time to see the lion monument and glacier garden on August 9. You can also do a mountain that day as well if you want to squeeze it in.

The Swiss railways timetable will give you schedules of public transport between any towns and mountains: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

You'll want to move something on August 16 to August 15 to make the 16th less busy. Otherwise it looks good.

The Golden Pass route travels between Luzern - Interlaken - Zweisimmen - Montreux so you can do that route without issue (first when going to Wengen and then the rest when going to Montreux and Vevey). https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass/getti ngthere

Hentheman
Hentheman
7 posts
Jun 14, 2018 - 6:27 PM in reply to Lucas

Hi Lucas!

Thanks for your reply! Oh because i may not be arriving early morning in Lucern on August 9, most likely will arrive around 2-3pm. Would i still have time to see the lion monument and the glacier garden plus another mountain?

For August 15, is it worth making it a trip down to Callier Chocolate factory? or should i try for the vineyards instead?

Hentheman
Hentheman
7 posts
Jun 14, 2018 - 6:30 PM in reply to Mapara

Hi Mapara!

Thank you for the reply!

How long did you spend in Bern? Because i was thinking it would just be touring around the old city and soaking up the culture.

Ya i have seen reviews about Mannlichen and Kleine Scheidegg and they looked really beautiful! But i thought Jungfrau is one the main mountains in Switzerland so i thought it would be worth going?

Thank you for your help once again!

Mapara
Mapara
11 posts
Jun 14, 2018 - 10:45 PM in reply to Hentheman

We only spent a couple of hours in Bern-we walked through the old town, saw the bear and did a little shopping.

I think you should get more opinions about Junfrau-there's a lot of advertising about it that makes you feel like you need to do it.

Lucas
Lucas
6329 posts
expert &
Jun 15, 2018 - 6:10 AM in reply to Hentheman

Ah well ok with a late afternoon arrival the mountain trip won't work I don't think. Unless you go straight there and then explore the town in the evening. Depends on how much you want to do that day.

Wine vs. chocolate is a personal opinion. :). Personally, I'd go to the vineyards and then buy some Swiss chocolate to eat later that day. Can't go wrong either way!

Kleine Scheidegg to Männlichen is a great hike: https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking/maennlich en-kleinescheidegg

Jungfraujoch is the most popular mountain in Switzerland I think (the busiest anyway) and the highest one that is reachable without needing to be a professional mountain climber. It does have a lot going for it but it isn't the only mountain in Switzerland (but definitely has the best marketing department!)
https://www.myswissalp s.com/activities/natur alsites

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018