About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Multi-day hike in Switzerland in mid-March: tips?
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Multi-day hike in Switzerland in mid-March: tips?

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
amritarani
amritarani
1 post
Feb 28, 2021 - 1:15 PM

Hello!

I'm looking to do a 2 or 3 day hiking trip in Switzerland (I'm very flexible on the area) in mid-March. I know that it's still quite cold/snowy at high altitudes, and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for hiking trips at lower altitudes? I'm an experienced hiker but not in snow, and I'll be alone so I don't want to take any risky trails at this time of year.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Annika
Annika
6377 posts
expert &
Feb 28, 2021 - 2:29 PM in reply to amritarani

Welcome to MySwissAlps, amritarani, and thanks for posting here! How nice that you're planning to do some hiking in March. Yes, it may still be chilly in the lower areas and downright wintry up in the mountains, but there are definitely some low-altitude routes available. Always mind that these too can get snow-covered or otherwise tricky, so check weather forecasts and don't go out on your own if it's risky. Further hiking preparation tips can be found here: www.myswissalps.com/hiking/preparation.

Given the (possible) weather circumstances in March, you might also consider to base yourself in one town and make several local or regional hikes from there. You'll be a bit more flexible that way. Some of the lower lake areas like Lake Geneva (www.myswissalps.com/lakegeneva), Lake Maggiore (www.myswissalps.com/lakemaggiore), Lake Lugano (www.myswissalps.com/lakelugano), Lake Zurich (www.myswissalps.com/lakezurich) or the lakes near Neuchâtel and Murten might be suitable. Hiking suggestions are available at www.myswissalps.com/hiking.

If you do like to hike part of a longer trail, you could look into some of the lower situated segments of the below national routes:

In case you're planning a trip this March, please keep an eye on our coronavirus updates at www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland.

I hope this gets you started!

Last modified on Feb 28, 2021 - 3:59 PM by Annika

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021