Paris-Jungfrau-Lucerne-Zurich- rail pass in March?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2018 at 20:21:58 #814310

Hello! I will be travelling with my wife and 13 year old son and his 65 year old grandmother.

Following is the itenary which i have thought so far. Need your help in knowing which will be the best rail pass for this and which areas are not to miss.

Day1: 18th March: Paris to Lauterbrunnen untill 24th March

Day2: 19th March: Murren , schilthorn

Day3: 20th March: Visit Jungfraujoch , wengen.

Day4: 21st March: Grindelwald, Grund, Mannlichen

Day5: 22nd March: around Lauterbrunnen-waterfalls etc.

Day6: 23rd March: Interlaken

Day7: 24th March: Check out from Lauterbrunnen and go to Lucerne stay for 4 nights

Day8: 25th March: Bern

Day9: 26th March: Mt Pilatus/ Titlis

Day10: 27th March: Lucerne to Zurich

Day11: 28th March: Flight back from Zurich

Please feel free to modify/ add anything i have missed. So far i have only booked my accommodation in Lauterbrunnen.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 0:44:13 #875996

Hello there and welcome to My Swiss Alps

I would go to Bern on Day 6 – there is not much in Interlaken to see – it is a good transport hub but not much else. That would give you an extra free day in Lucerne on day 8 – there is a lot more to do and see in Lucerne.

Maggie

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 February 2018 at 1:34:09 #875997

Hello seatiger9 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

What time are you flying out of Zurich. If later in the day consider sating in Lucerne on 27 March. The train from Lucerne to Zurich Airport is only 1 hour and you can get a direct train which does not require a change at Zurich main station.

As well as the Swiss Travel Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass) there are many reigonal passes (http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpasses) which can work depending on where you are based and how much travel you plan. Before you can know for sure which pass suits your travel plans you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. You can use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to work out the fares for any trip. When you go to buy a ticket the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare. With A Swiss Travel Pass it is free provided it is shown as free on the Area of Validity map ( PDF downloadable from http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity).

You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 6:14:38 #875998

Thank you Maggie.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 6:20:51 #875999

Thank you Rockoyster for your valuable comments.

I have some business to attend in Zurich that is why the stop over there.

Regarding the rail pass I have mentioned the entire itenary . Paris-Lauterbrunnen-Lucerne-Zurich. It is still not clear whether to take a Swiss pass and a Jungfrau sleding pass, or a half fare and Jungfrau sledging pass.

I will work on the excel sheet, thought the forum would be able to throw some light on it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 8:53:29 #876000

Hi seatiger9,

The excel sheet will give you the definitive answer for your specific plans. It’s the only way to know for sure. I’d also consider looking at the Jungfrau Hiking and Sledging Pass (7 days) & the 4 day Tell Pass Winter.

The Tell Pass only covers about 1/2 the trip to Bern (as far as Langnau i. E) & Zurich airport (as far as Zug) but it fully covers Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Titlis so it should work out cheaper in the end.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 9:56:31 #876001

Thank you Lucas.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2018 at 11:33:27 #876002

HELLO DEAR FRIENDS,

I have taken a Swiss pass for 15 days with a family pass so my son travels free. I have paid for a ticket from Paris to Basel, the Swiss pass can then be used right for my travel to Lauterbrunnen. Please let me know if this is correct and also is it necessary to make reservations, if yes which legs?

Basel-Interlaken

Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen- Interlaken

Interlaken – Lucerne

Lucerne- Zurich

Lauterbrunnen- Zermatt, etc…

Best regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2018 at 15:57:03 #876003

Hi seatiger9,

Yes you are correct on the passes & no reservations are needed on those train trips.

Happy travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2018 at 15:59:53 #876004

Thanks Lucas, appreciate your help. Will post my experience later.

• The thread ‘Paris-Jungfrau-Lucerne-Zurich- rail pass in March?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.