Pass options for short visit to Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2014 at 13:52:46 #806376

Hi-

We are a family of 4 ( 2 kids aged 4 and 9 ), planning to visit the Jungfrau region this July. We will be travelling from Frankfurt to Wengen and spending 4 days in the Wengen / Lauterbrunnen region. What pass would make the most sense for us ?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 May 2014 at 14:11:03 #840006

Hi georgetv,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! The best pass depends on what you have planned to do during those 4 days, and where you plan to travel after Wengen. If you do quite some sightseeing with (pricy) cable cars/funiculars, a 4-day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland is a convenient option and saves money. In case of short trips and not too many cable cars, a Swiss Half Fare Card makes sense. See the links for the details.

There is a special promotion until June 6 that makes the Swiss Pass worth looking into as well ($50 off each order). See here for promotion details and here for the forum discussion.

How to choose is explained here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Did this help?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2014 at 15:02:22 #840007

Thanks for responding, our plans are not set yet, but we will be doing the cable car up Schlitterhorn for sure and some easy hiking with the kids. We will be taking the train out to Milan on day 4 of our visit.

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 May 2014 at 15:38:42 #840008

I understand. And even if you have finalized your plans, they may change while there because of the weather, for example. Anyway, I think it helps if you read the pass pages I linked to: you can see how the passes work, what’s included and which concept appeals to you most. The Swiss Pass promotion may actually be a good deal for you: your children will travel along for free (with the Regional-Pass you need a CHF 30 Junior Card for the 9 year old), the legs Basel to Wengen (from Frankfurt) and Wengen to Domodossola (to Milan) are free, trains, buses and boats (recommended, great for kids, see here) are free, museums are free, and cable cars are discounted. The Schilthorn (I suppose that’s what you mean) is discounted by 50% from Mürren. The trip to Mürren is free. I think it is worth to look into the Swiss Pass now that the offer is available.

• The thread ‘Pass options for short visit to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10620 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.