Question about hiking trail in Bernese Oberland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2017 at 21:17:07 #811570

Hi- My boss had me put together a 7 day hiking itinerary for him. He is a beginner hiker but not terribly out of shape. Does anyone know if this would be too difficult for him?

Day 1: Individual arrival to Meiringen / Rosenlaui Rosenlaui – Grosse Scheidegg – Grindelwald, 5:30 h

With the Postauto from Meiringen to Rosenlaui. After the rock barrier with the Reichenbach Falls, the path runs through the flat valley floor, in the wake of the Wetterhorn, past the Nostalgiehotel Rosenlaui and the glacier gorge, through beautiful moorland areas via the Grosse Scheidegg to Grindelwald.

2nd day: Alpiglen – Kleine Scheidegg – Wengen / Lauterbrunnen, 5:15 h

By train from Grindelwald to Alpiglen. From here gently the ascent over corrugated mats to the small Scheidegg, near and vastly the rock and ice of the Eigerordwand. Sunny high-way to Wengen, then descend into the Lauterbrunnen valley (by train), with its vertical walls and spectacular waterfalls.

3rd day: Mürren – Sefinenfurgge – Griesalp, 6:30 h

From Wengen / Lauterbrunnen by train to Mürren. The Sonnenterasse of Mürren is directly opposite of Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau. Over alpine pastures, view terraces like the Bryndli and wilderness huts like the Rotstockhütte continue to the Sefinenfurgge, the impressive transition to the Kiental.

Day 4: Griesalp – Hohtürli – Oeschinensee, 6:45 h

King set over the 2778 m high Hohtürli. A rewarding detour to the Blümlisalphütte and the eternal glacier ice. Over moraines downhill to the deep blue, spectacular Oeschinensee, one of the most beautiful mountain lakes of the Alps, surrounded by steep rock faces. From Oeschinensee by gondola and bus to Kandersteg.

Day 5: Allmenalp – Bonderchrinde – Adelboden, 5:30 h

From the traditional wooden houses of Kanderstegs over alpine pastures, to the rocky walls of the Lohners, which are inhabited by chamoisen. From Kandersteg by chairlift to Allmenalp. The Bunderchrinde, the breathtaking transition to the Engstligental valley, leads to Adelboden by way of several stepped steps.

6th day: Adelboden – Hahnenmosspass – Lenk, 5:30 h

Gentle ascent along the Glisbach, through forests and moorlands, over the Hahnenmoospass, then down to Lenk, beautifully situated in the Kessel of the Hintere Simmental with spectacular waterfalls and the perfect backdrop of the Wildstrubelmassiv.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Balan214
    Participant
    17 posts
    27 April 2017 at 1:06:19 #862315

What time of year is this trip planned? From what I hear that can have a potential impact of certain trails being accessible.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2017 at 2:08:08 #862316

Late July/early August.

Annika
    7124 posts
    27 April 2017 at 13:32:33 #862317

Hi Chauntelle,

Late July and early August generally offer good hiking conditions. But it’s hard to tell whether this trail is suitable for your boss. I’d say it’s too demanding for someone who’s not that experienced in (mountain) hiking! There seem to be steep ascents and descents and some exposed sections. He’d best study the route himself, read about the requirements for mountain hiking, and carefully decide whether he’s up to your hiking proposal. Here are some resources that can be of help:

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    28 April 2017 at 1:17:27 #862318

Hi Chauntelle,

Some parts of this itinerary will work fine, others not. Two questions, is your boss walking alone and how old is he? The times you’ve quoted appear to be the “Official” times, which are set by experienced hikers who are just trying to cover the distance. New comers to this activity will have a hard time keeping to this schedule, especially if they stop to smell the roses (or Blue Gentians)

Day 1 – That would be fine. One variation would be to take the historic cable car (Cable car in the San Francisco sense of the word – a small train pulled by a cable) that runs up to the Reichenbach falls and walk from there. It involves more walking, but the scenery is spectacular. There is a hiking path, but I choose to walk on the road, otherwise I spend all my time watching my feet instead of the scenery. Seeing as this is day 1, the long uphill section from Roserlaui to Grosse Scheidegg may be a bit of a test. You can pick up the Post Bus for the long run down to Grindelwald.

Day 2 – Looks good, although the walk from Alpiglen to Kleine Scheidegg is all up hill. For that section you can take either the old hiking trail which roughly follows the railway line, or the newer Eiger Trail. Both will get you to KS.

Day 3 – The hike from Mürren over the Sefinenfurgge pass is a bit strenuous. There is a long scree slope to be climbed and from memory the path isn’t well marked on the other side. That may have changed.

Day 4 – This is the part I think may be too much. This is a proper alpine route that needs some experience and shouldn’t be attempted alone. It’s long and very strenuous. If this section must be done, I would suggest breaking the trip by staying overnight in the Blumlisalphutte at the top of the pass. It’s a proper Alpine Hut, and all SAC Hut rules apply.

Day 5 – There is a cable car that runs between Kandersteg and Allmenalp, not a chairlift. Beyond that, I can’t comment as I haven’t been there yet.

As I’ve been writing this, I’ve been thinking that your original itinerary might be overly ambitious for a beginner hiker. The Oberland is spectacular, but with spectacular scenery comes challenging hiking. A shorter walk would be a lot easier, reduce the risk of spained ankles, pulled muscles or blisters, and be a lot more enjoyable. Being able to slow down and appreciate your surroundings is more important than clocking up “Frequent-Hiker Miles”

This would be my alternative hike.

Day 1 – Take it easy. From Meiringen, take the Cable Train to Reichenbach, check out the falls, then walk to Rosenlaui and stay overnight at the Hotel Rosenlaui (I’ve always wanted to stay here) http://rosenlaui.ch/en/Angebot/Welcome There is a spectacular Glacier Gorge nearby that is well worth a visit.

Day 2 – Rosenlaui to Grindelwald. You can catch the Post Bus if you want.

Day 3 – Stay an extra day in Grindelwald, go to First and walk back, or climb the steps that go up to the Oberer Gletscher. Lots of things to do in Grindelwald.

Day 4 – Grindelwald to Wengen. An early start needed. Don’t do want I did and wait til after lunch. I only got as far as Alpiglen and had to stay there for the night. It was fun though. You can catch the Gondola to Männlichen and walk down from there as a plan B.

Day 5 – Wengen to Mürren. Different possibilities here. Either walk down from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen, then take the cog rail to Grütschalp, then walk to Mürren, or take the train to Lauterbrunnen and use the extra time to visit the Trumellbach Falls before going to Mürren.

Day6 – Mürren to Griessalp via Sefinenfurgge. A proper Alpine Pass, well above the tree line.

Day 7 – From Griessalp, take the bus to Reichenbach im Kandertal (a different Reichenbach), then take the train to Kandersteg. Visit Oeschinensee after lunch.

This is a virtual tour I put together that covers most of the walk. It is actually for a walk from Meiringen to Interlaken, but the first half is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Npea2RYD-g&t=317s

This walk covers some of the most spectacular scenery in the world and your boss won’t be missing out on anything for it being shorter, apart for a few blisters.

Hope this helps

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 3:08:03 #862319

Oh my gosh Alan, thank you SO much. This is very very very helpful! Thank you for taking the time to help me with this!! I will let you know if I have any questions!!! Thanks!

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    28 April 2017 at 5:33:28 #862320

Happy to be of help

Something I forgot to mention is you can send bagage unacommpanied between stations, so you can send your big bag from Meiringen to Grindelwald for example and only have to carry a day pack with wet weather gear, some food and water and maybe a tooth brush and a change of underwear. That makes life a lot easier.

• The thread ‘Question about hiking trail in Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.