Best rail pass for Zurich & Lucerne area

Best rail pass for Zurich & Lucerne area

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
jjmurph01
jjmurph01
3 posts
Aug 22, 2017 - 3:02 PM

Greetings and thank you in advance for any insights. I have looked through the Forum and still am a little confused on the best rail passes to purchase for our 5 days in Switzerland. We arrive in Zurich and want to take the train to Lucerne and while there visit many of the local sights: Mt. Pilatus, Lucerne Old Town, Lake Lucerne on Steamboat ride, with stops at some of the towns where the glass factory is and perhaps the Swiss Knife factory. We may also weather permitting visit Mt. Titlisk and/or Interlaken. I've looked at Swiss Rail Pass, which seems too expensive for this restricted area. I've also looked into the Half-Fare Pass and the Tell Pass. Seems to me the Tell pass would cover a lot in the Lucerne area (transportation and discounts on certain sites) but would require us to purchase full fare tickets to/from Zurich.

Our schedule is September 25 - 30 so the Tell Pass period would cover this period

Could I please have your insights.

Thanks so much.

Lucas
Lucas
7092 posts
expert &
Aug 22, 2017 - 4:12 PM in reply to jjmurph01

Hi jjmurph01 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I agree the Tell Pass-summer would be a good choice for you (except for Interlaken and Zurich). Though those two trains trips aren't overly expensive.

The other option would be the Swiss Half Fare Card - then you know you get 50% off all trips you decide to make while in the country.

You can read through our page on How to choose the best rail pass for help on doing the math to compare the two rail passes (the only way to know for sure).

Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018