Rail travel help. Geneva to Interlaken November 11

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 October 2016 at 1:24:32 #810205

My girlfriend and I are flying into Geneva on November 11th. This is our first trip to Europe and I’m having some trouble understanding the rail systems. We were hoping to get from Geneva airport to Interlaken by rail if we can find tickets that aren’t too costly. Planning on spending 2 nights in Interlaken and then heading to Paris for 2 nights by rail as well before flying out. Most tickets I have found for Geneva to Interlaken have been extremely expensive. I found some that looked to be around 35CHF which seemed great but couldn’t find any for the 11th for some reason.

Basically just looking for the best/cheapest way to get from Geneva-Interlaken Nov 11th, and then Interlaken-Paris Nov 13th. Would some sort of pass end up being cheaper? We were also hoping to make it to Jungfrau while we are in Interlaken.

Also any tips on places to stay or things to do/see while we are there for our short visit?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 October 2016 at 13:27:38 #856450

Thanks for posting here, Jacksonn!

A rail pass will very probably help you save money, especially if you intend to make some trips from Interlaken. Just the Jungfraujoch trip in itself nearly justifies buying a pass, as regular tickets are expensive. In your case, a Swiss Half Fare Card may help. It allows you to get 50% discounted tickets for all journeys within Switzerland. Please find details and resellers at myswissalps.com/swissh alffarecard. Buying online through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en is recommended.

Additionally you’d need full fare tickets from the Swiss border to Paris: myswissalps.com/traint ickets/france

If you want to make sure which option is most economical, please use our tips on how to calculate your pass options: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2016 at 15:29:03 #856451

Thanks for the reply.

It appears that the eurail select pass (2 countries in 4 days) works out to be the best deal for us. About $200CHF each. I believe this will allow us to travel from Geneva airport to either Interlaken or Lucerne for the night, (may take the Golden Pass as it is free with EU rail pass). On day 2, depending on weather either do Jungfrau 25% off with eu select pass, or Mt. Pilatus 30% off tickets). Day 3, train to Paris.

I think we are now leaning towards staying in Lucerne rather than Interlaken as it appears there may be more to do in Lucerne if the weather is poor. Any recommendations on nice places to stay?

Thanks

Annika
    7116 posts
    16 October 2016 at 15:37:21 #856452

Hi Jacksonn,

You’ll find the hotels we recommend on the Lucerne page. Eurail Pass retailers are listed here.

• The thread ‘Rail travel help. Geneva to Interlaken November 11’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.