Rainy day activities in and around Lucerne

• Heart_Voyage
    Participant
    99 posts
    12 July 2021 at 21:46:49 #825931

Hello,

I keep checking weather in Lucerne and the surrounding cities and it often rains. And I would like to have back plans in case of bad weather in September. I have a few questions please.

Is it just short quick rains in September?

Do you have suggestions on what to do for raining days besides visiting museums? Switzerland is famous for scenic routes and it will be disappointed if we have to stay in door. during visit.

If it rains often, should we stay in major cities where there are more in door activities?

Would you please drop a best link to check daily weather before we go up to the top of the mountains.

Thank you so much.

Thy

• Laurae
    Participant
    47 posts
    12 July 2021 at 23:23:15 #935673

Hello, Heart Voyage! When there are mountains, there is always the possibility of rain. It is disappointing you can’t see the grand vistas when that happens, but often light rain in the mountains produces a mystic beauty all it’s own. While it’s not advisable to hike in heavy rain I’ve had some beautiful hikes (with pretty pictures of suspended clouds) taken in light rain. I always pack a waterproof raincoat, waterproof shoes for walking, a rain cover for my backpack, and walking sticks–then I’m set.

As far as indoor activities in the Luzern area, I love the quirky Glacier museum in the city itself. I call it quirky because of the wide variety of displays there–there’s something for everyone. Don’t miss the mirror maze. The transportation museum is renowned, though I’ve not visited it yet. There’s a glass factory in nearby Hergiswil where you can watch glassblowers, do a mirror maze, and of course shop. Just a little ways away near Stansstad is the Festung Furigen, a display of an underground military bunker in the mountainside.

You can also hop on the train to Bern and explore the old town, much of which is under arcades allowing you to stay dry once you get there.

Laurae

Heart_Voyage
    Participant
    99 posts
    12 July 2021 at 23:53:10 #935674

Thanks Laurae for the recommendations.

Thy

Laurae
    Participant
    47 posts
    13 July 2021 at 1:03:30 #935675

I forgot to add there’s a great Swiss weather app, Meteo Swiss. I’ve found it to be very accurate down to what hour it will rain and how much it will rain for the different locations you plug in as your favorites. The downside is that you can only check it a week out, but that’s as far out as reliability for weather predictions can really go for Switzerland.

Laurae

Heart_Voyage
    Participant
    99 posts
    13 July 2021 at 2:15:01 #935676

1 week out is good enough

Thanks Laurae.

Thy

Anna
    6390 posts
    13 July 2021 at 10:28:37 #935677

Hi Thy,

You can find links to reliable weather forecast provider here: http://www.myswissalps.com/weather (just scroll down or look for the links on the right-hand side column).

I agree with Laurae’s suggestions. The Museum of Transport in Lucerne is a good place to get lost in even on non-rainy days 🙂 If you like chocolates, you can make a trip to the Aeschbach Chocolatier just a short train ride away from Lucerne. And if you have a railpass, you can easily plan a day trip to any of the towns in the surrounding areas or neighbouring regions. You can find more ideas here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lucerne/activities

Regards,

Anna

Heart_Voyage
    Participant
    99 posts
    13 July 2021 at 13:21:05 #935678

Hi Anna,

I still want to visit Aeschbach Chocolatier on the sunny day:). Besides the cafe, is there a tour we can look around?

Thanks Anna for this recommendation. I love it.

Thy

Anna
    6390 posts
    13 July 2021 at 13:50:56 #935679

Hi Thy,

At the Aeschbach Chocolatier you can register for an interactive tour and make your own chocolate. You can find more information from its website: aeschbach-chocolatier.ch/chocowelt/ (unfortunately this in German but feel free to use Google translate to read it in English).

Regards,

Anna

Annika
    7125 posts
    13 July 2021 at 17:39:45 #935680

Hi Thy!

It’s always good to have back-up plans in case of rain, and luckily you have some great options now. But there’s absolutely no need to worry: current forecasts for September are completely useless :-). Forecasts become slightly reliable about a week ahead, and quite reliable only a few days ahead. You’ll find some explanation here: http://www.myswissalps.com/weather/forecast.

Heart_Voyage
    Participant
    99 posts
    14 July 2021 at 14:31:05 #935681

Thanks Annika.

• The thread ‘Rainy day activities in and around Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11090 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.