Regarding jungfrau

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2013 at 20:45:04 #805920

we are planning to go to jungfrau on april14th which falls on sunday..
    please let me know the opening timings for it…

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    7 April 2013 at 2:05:12 #838402

Hello vidhya,

You can use the Swiss timetable to find out about times of departure and arrival, just fill out date and time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2013 at 4:21:31 #838403

I saw the swiz timetable.
    I am not asking for the train timings. I got those stuff from sbb site timetable.
    It says there is are trains from Interlaken west to jungfrau at 6:14 and 6:52..
    from jungfrau last train is at 15:45.
    I thought this was just the train timings.
    Jungfrau’s opening and closing timings if any????

I see some opening hours in this site..
    http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/travel-information/contact/
    what is this????

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 April 2013 at 6:34:19 #838404

Dear vidhya,

As long as trains go up there, the Jungfrau is open for visitors. The page you’re referring to is listing the opening hours of the Jungfrau Railways information center in Interlaken. That’s not relevant for a visit to the Jungfrau. You only need the timetable Olga referred to. The last train departs at 17:45.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2013 at 8:05:47 #838405

Thank u…I got it now..
    I also have another question regarding Thun cruise…
    I am planning to take the cruise from thun to Interlaken west, either 11:40 or 12:40 cruise.
    how to reach to the cruise point from thun station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2013 at 9:13:00 #838406

I also have another question.
    I will be travelling to milano centralo from lucerne on april 16th.
    I will be using swiss saver pass. when I see the map I see chiasso at the swiz border.
    I am planning to start lucerne by 15:00 or 16:00. so it would take around 3 hours to reach chiasso.
    If I am correct I can travel till chiasso using swiz pass.from chiasso I need to purchase ticket to milano.
    from lucerne I see trains at 15:18, 16:18,17:18..
    let me know whether can I use swiz pass in these trains.
    also there are many trains from chiasso to milano..is there a option in sbb site which shows the cheapest train….

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2013 at 9:33:09 #838407

one more question.
    is cogwheel railway to mt.pilatus opened in april16th.if so can you let me know the timings or the site where to check it…

Annika
    7124 posts
    7 April 2013 at 9:49:32 #838408

Hi vidhya.

• the cruise point in Thun is pretty much near the railway stations. There will be signs/icons to show the route;
    • yes, the Swiss Saver Pass will get you up to Chiasso for free. You’ll have to purchase regular tickets for the leg Chiasso-Milano. All trains from Chiasso to Milano can be found through the timetable mentioned by Olga. If you click ‘Fare/Buy’ at the right of each connections, prices will be displayed;
    • the cog train from Alpnachstad to Pilatus will start running by April. The exact date can’t be predicted though, as it depends on current weather and snow circumstances. You can best keep an eye at the Pilatus website and inquire during your stay.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2013 at 10:05:34 #838409

thanks for the pilatus info…
    I was looking for something that can be done in pilatus…the site was having the stuff required..
    looks like currently most of the stuffs are closed:(
    regarding the chiasso to milano centralo journey I checked the fare/but option..but I wanted to know if there are any ways to check the cheapest option instead of clicking
    every train and checking the fare…
    also can u please let me know what all things can be done in titlis..official site if any…
    what is opened and what is closed on april 15th during our visit..

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 April 2013 at 1:14:06 #838410

Hi vidhya,

Fares are the same for each train, so just click one train and you know the price. All about the Titlis can be found on their website.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2013 at 2:46:56 #838411

Thank u.
    There are Eurocity that runs from chiasso to Milano.The fare is about 20 euro per person if I am correct.
    I tried in sbb site.looks like there are other trains apart from euro city which runs chiasso to milano..
    I have requested the fare for those trains…looks like in sbb site for those we cannot see the fare directly…request has to be made and they will send the mail…
    It looks so wierd that we have to send a request and they will send a mail to us regarding the fare…
    Am I looking at the right place in sbb site..
    http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en
    This is the link I am trying…when I click the Fare/buy it doesnt give the fare directly:(

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 April 2013 at 4:12:07 #838412

Hi vidhya,

The SBB is having some problems with fares for abroad traveling. I suppose this is temporary as they were able to provide fares not too long ago. You can find fares here too, and also for this specific trip the Italian railways should sell it as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2013 at 15:15:39 #838413

Hi Moderators.

I have read that the swiss saver pass gives 25% reduction on Jungfrau region while half fare pass gives 50%.
    If i do not use the swiss saver pass day for this trip (use it as a half fare card), will that give me a 50% off ?
    It sounds silly but I just wanted to confirm if this is correct or will the max saving for a swiss saver pass (whether its a day i am using it or not) is only 25% ?

thanks
    Rohit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2013 at 15:32:27 #838414

Also, the direct return fare for interlaken – Jungfrau is 100.8 CHF while if i calculate seperately for each length for a 2 way route
    (interlaken to wengen + wengen to kleine scheidegg+kleine scheidegg to jungfrau and back + kleine scheidegg to grindelwald+grindelwald to interlaken), the cost is almost double.

So if i am travelling this route without any pass, would i be eligible on a 100.8 CHF return ticket to take the other route on return or do i need to calculate based on the individual journey costs only ?

thanks
    Rohit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2013 at 22:21:32 #838415

We will be in Murren for 7 nights and plan to take many cable cars, funiculars and trains on the Jungfrau railway. We have a Eurail pass but the only discount I can find is 25% off. Discovered there is a 6 day pass called the Jungfrau Railway Pass. It seems to be cheaper to just buy it outright instead of buying a half fare card for Switzerland. Any thoughts? Thank you!
    Vanessa

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 April 2013 at 1:17:48 #838416

Hi Rohit,

I’m not sure what you mean by “use it as a half fare card”. A Swiss Saver Pass will always give you 25% off, and a Swiss Half Fare Card will give you 50% off. It would depend on your other trips which pass is best for you. The price difference for the Jungfrau is usually not a deal breaker as the Swiss Pass includes a lot of other free services that the Swiss Half Fare Card does not include.

[quote]rohitsud04 said: Hi Moderators.

I have read that the swiss saver pass gives 25% reduction on Jungfrau region while half fare pass gives 50%.
    If i do not use the swiss saver pass day for this trip (use it as a half fare card), will that give me a 50% off ?
    It sounds silly but I just wanted to confirm if this is correct or will the max saving for a swiss saver pass (whether its a day i am using it or not) is only 25% ?

thanks
    Rohit[/quote]

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 April 2013 at 1:20:33 #838417

Hi Rohit,

I think you’ve been looking at half fare prices. A return ticket without any discounts is about double of what you mentioned. Prices are in the timetable and on the Jungfrau site as well.

[quote]rohitsud04 said: Also, the direct return fare for interlaken – Jungfrau is 100.8 CHF while if i calculate seperately for each length for a 2 way route
    (interlaken to wengen + wengen to kleine scheidegg+kleine scheidegg to jungfrau and back + kleine scheidegg to grindelwald+grindelwald to interlaken), the cost is almost double.

So if i am travelling this route without any pass, would i be eligible on a 100.8 CHF return ticket to take the other route on return or do i need to calculate based on the individual journey costs only ?

thanks
    Rohit[/quote]

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 April 2013 at 1:23:34 #838418

Hi Vanessa,

Indeed, if you’re planning to do many mountain trips a pass that includes them for free would make sense. Either the Jungfrau Railway Pass or the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland (which covers a wider area) would be options.

[quote]vanessa said: We will be in Murren for 7 nights and plan to take many cable cars, funiculars and trains on the Jungfrau railway. We have a Eurail pass but the only discount I can find is 25% off. Discovered there is a 6 day pass called the Jungfrau Railway Pass. It seems to be cheaper to just buy it outright instead of buying a half fare card for Switzerland. Any thoughts? Thank you!
    Vanessa[/quote]

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2013 at 1:27:44 #838419

Hmm. I think it is possible I might have seen half fare rates by mistake. point taken.

referring to my other query, on days where I don’t use my Swiss saver pass , it works as a half fare card as per my understanding. So on those days, will it give me a 50% saving (similar to a normal half fare card) ?

thanks
    Rohit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2013 at 1:43:34 #838420

I am actually planning a week in Switzerland.. 3 days in interlaken area and 2 days in lucern
    is there any way of adding 2 days in bernina route to this ? I am interested in 1 day in pontresina and a day on bernina express but the distances seem to be a lot from interlaken to pontresina.

any suggestions?

thanks
    rohit

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 April 2013 at 1:58:43 #838421

That’s not how it works actually. A Swiss Saver Pass gets you consecutive days of free traveling and discounts on mountain transport. It works the same way every day. Please read the Swiss Pass page, which explains what’s included.

You may have read about the Swiss Flexi Pass, which offers free traveling on non-consecutive days, and discounts on the days in between.

The discounts can be checked on the maps you can download from both pages. Both passes always provide a 25% discount on the last section of the Jungfrau (from Wengen/Grindelwald up), and 50% on other mountain transportation.

[quote]rohitsud04 said: Hmm. I think it is possible I might have seen half fare rates by mistake. point taken.

referring to my other query, on days where I don’t use my Swiss saver pass , it works as a half fare card as per my understanding. So on those days, will it give me a 50% saving (similar to a normal half fare card) ?

thanks
    Rohit[/quote]

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • The thread ‘Regarding jungfrau’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.