Regional Pass Bernese Oberland + Swiss Half Fare

• MbSchneids
    Participant
    4 posts
    2 July 2022 at 11:13:38 #827668

Am I figuring this correctly? We are traveling from Milan to Lauterbrunnen and spending 3 nights there and 3 nights in Wengen. I am looking at the 8 day BO pass which is 370. Am I correct to think that if I purchase the half fare card for 120, I get the reduced rate of 240.? That would be a savings of 10 without even using the half fare card? I like the BO pass with its broader validity for traveling to Bern or Lucern on rainy days.

My next question would be , from Milan? Would I pay from Milan to Swiss border (what town) then half price ticket to Brig, then use the BO pass to Lauterbrunnen? The train I am looking at stops in Brig then Speiz then Interlacken to Lauterbrunnen. Thanks for any advice!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    2 July 2022 at 15:55:34 #943881

Hi MbSchneids,

Your understanding is correct.

You can get the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland at a reduced price if you have a Swiss Half Fare Card.

The RPBO is valid for travel within the Bernese Oberland validity area including Bern, Lucerne and Brig. You can check out the validity map here: http://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/validity

For your journey from Milan to Lauterbrunnen, you would need the following tickets:

1. Milan to Domodossola (border town) – you need a ticket to cover the Italian part of your journey. You can find more info here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy

2. Domodossola to Brig – discounted ticket with Swiss Half Fare Card

3. Brig – Lauterbrunnen – free with the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

MbSchneids
    Participant
    4 posts
    2 July 2022 at 16:47:33 #943882

Anna, thanks so much! What confused me is we will not be stopping in Domodossola but I can still get a ticket from there?

Anna
    6384 posts
    2 July 2022 at 16:54:29 #943883

Hi again,

Yes, you don’t need to get off in Domodossola. You can arrange to get your tickets in advance. Ticket inspections are carried out randomly on board so be sure to present a valid ticket or railpass when requested.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Regional Pass Bernese Oberland + Swiss Half Fare’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.