Roundtrip tickets from Interlaken – Schilthorn

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2015 at 16:44:33 #807362

Hi,

I am staying in a hostel near Interlaken West Train station this coming 19th June evening and leaving 21st June day. I want to visit Murren, Gimmelwald and Schilthorn. I have several questions:

1. Itinerary – Is it sufficient to go to Murren/Gimmelwald & Schilthorn to fill a whole day? – Is there anything to explore in Interlaken itself?- Or will you suggest exploring other areas?

2. Roundtrip Tickets- There are round trip tickets (Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Grütschalp – Mürren – Schilthorn – Stechelberg – Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken) on schilthorn.ch/en/Angeb ot/Timetable__Tariffs/ Price_roundtriptickets . How do they work? – Is it unlimited travel between each stop in a day?- Can I stop at Murren longer to explore then continue up to Schilthorn? Or is everything consecutive with no stop time?- How is this ticket different from Single Tickets (schilthorn.ch/en/Angeb ot/Timetable__Tariffs/ Price_Single_tickets)?- Where do you get any tickets? Can I get them from Interlaken West Bahnhof?

Really would appreciate some help on these matters. Thank you. Hope to hear from you all soon.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    8 June 2015 at 5:33:32 #843689

Hi Sarah,

1. Yes, it would make a very nice day trip, especially of combined with a walk, like Mürren to Grütschalp. Interlaken is a convenient base to gain access to the region, not a town to do sightseeing.

2. Any ticket allows you to do the route of choice one time, with unlimited stops along the way. You can get tickets at any rail station. They’re probably not able to sell you the Schilthorn cable car ticket, but you can ask. If not, it will be available from the cable car station.

Do you have any kind of rail pass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2015 at 15:58:27 #843690

Hi Annika,

Thank you for your reply.

1. I intend to trek from Murren to Gimmelwald, maybe a picnic on the way. Is that too short a walk? Can you picnic on the trails?

2. Great to know about unlimited stops on each ticket. But for this roundtrip ticket where can I get it from? (schilthorn.ch/en/Angebot/Timetable__Tariffs/Price_roundtriptickets) This roundtrip ticket shows the route from Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Grütschalp – Mürren – Schilthorn – Stechelberg – Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken. I will likely trek at Murren to Gimmelwald and back to continue journey to Schilthorn. Is this a recommended route? Read that Murren – Stechelberg route is recommended instead. (http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/gettingthere). Should I get Single Ride Tickets instead? There is possibility of poor weather when going up Schilthorn too. Might be a risk to get the roundtrip tickets right?

3. I am in Switzerland 12th June to 21st June. I should be getting some sort of rail pass, but I do not know which one. I know Swiss Travel Pass is only for restricted days, and I think 15 day pass is really expensive. Any recommendation?

4. I am travelling from Vevey to Interlaken on 19th June. Should I get train tickets for Vevey-Interlaken now? Do you think it will be packed and hard to purchase later on? Actually should I get rail tickets days before travelling or it is safe to get them at the stations?

Sorry for bombarding with queries. First time to Switzerland from Singapore here. It is really confusing how things work for me.

Sarah

Annika
    7116 posts
    8 June 2015 at 16:44:08 #843691

Hi Sarah,

I think you need a Swiss Half Fare Card: myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard. As you can see on that page you can best order it through Rail Europe Singapore: raileurope.com.sg/pass /swiss-half-fare-card. That’s cheaper than waiting with your purchase until you’re in Switzerland.

With the Swiss Half Fare Card, nearly all tickets you purchase for trains, cable cars, etc. are 50% discounted. You don’t need to buy tickets in advance. They don’t sell out. As for the tickets to the Schilthorn: you can get them from the cable car stations. But as you start your trip in Interlaken West, just explain the staff at the ticket office about your plans and they will sell you the correct ticket. If they can’t sell you the ticket for the whole route, they will say so, and you buy the ticket for the remaining leg from the cable car station.

You can picnic anywhere as long as you don’t leave any litter.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2015 at 17:45:42 #843692

Thank you Annika!

I was reading about where to keep base. There are suggestions to have it at Lauterbrunnen or Murren instead of Interlaken. What are your views on this? Will travelling in/out from these places be more difficult then Interlaken?

And it is peak period in the Interlaken region isn’t it? Hotel/hostels are fully booked and I am afraid of a crowd-pushing Swiss experience instead of a enjoy real Swiss adventure.

Sarah

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 June 2015 at 6:16:54 #843693

Lauterbrunnen and Mürren are smaller and more scenic than Interlaken. Interlaken is convenient if you’d like to see a larger region, since it’s in between the lakes and the Jungfrau region in the south, and offers lots of train connections to everywhere. Please see the Interlaken link that Annika gave you.

It will be busy with tourists everywhere, although not as much as in July and August. Interlaken will be busier than the smaller towns.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2015 at 10:36:59 #843694

Hi Arno,

Thank you for your reply. I will only be in the Jungfrau region for 2 nights, 3 days. I doubt I can see much too. I am skipping going up Jungfrau and have a whole day in Schilthorn / Murren / Gimmelwald / Lauterbrunnen.

I think I am keeping base at Interlaken as there are no decent economic hostels in Lauterbrunnen available for my dates. I am bummed about that as I think Lauterbrunnen will be more relaxing. I am considering Wengen. Since I am not going up Jungfrau, would you guys recommend Wengen as a base?

Any Catholic churches in Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken regions?

And dress code for Schilthorn / Murren / Gimmelwald – are running shoes sufficient?

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 June 2015 at 13:17:01 #843695

Hi Sarah,

All these villages are wonderful, including Wengen. Especially for hiking trips. There’s no particular dress code, unless you book a luxurious hotel. Many people will be dressed to be active outdoors. There’s a Catholic church in Interlaken: kathbern.ch/index.php?id=652.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2015 at 19:16:10 #843696

Hi Arno,

Thank you for the information.I mean how many layers and footwear is required for Schilthorn, Murren, Lauterbrunnen area?

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 June 2015 at 19:28:13 #843697

Hi Sarah,

How to prepare for hiking can be found on myswissalps.com/hiking /preparation. What’ll you’ll wear exactly will depend on the weather of the day (which can be anything from chilly to warm) and the type of trail. Running shoes are good enough for sightseeing and easy trails.

• The thread ‘Roundtrip tickets from Interlaken – Schilthorn’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.