Route and costs of train Montreux-Chamonix

• Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    28 September 2022 at 11:50:26 #828447

Good day! After checking out several options to get from Montreux to Chamonix, it seems the best route for us is this 2hr 13min train from Montreux –> Martigny –> Vallorcine –> Chamonix-Aiguille du Midi. As seen on the SBB app, this will cost CHF 24.5 on the Half Fare Card. Would like to check if this is correct considering we are crossing the border to France. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 September 2022 at 12:13:04 #947441

The route via Martigny is the only sensible route from Montreux. Fast CFF (not SBB here!) IR train to Martigny then change to the Mont Blanc Express narrow gauge mountain line

I tried it and got CHF28, but that is not so different. You will nevertheless qualify for a discounted international extension ticket on the French section, so the Swiss half fare card will be saving money over a non-discounted fare

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 September 2022 at 17:35:44 #947442

Hi Uallin,

you can use your Swiss Half Fare Card from Montreux to the border, see the validity map here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/validity.

You can check the price in the timetable, I can also see 28 CHF, please see the attachment.

Take care,

Ildiko

MySwissAlps.com recommends reading this: France from Switzerland by train

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    29 September 2022 at 4:29:56 #947443

Thank you, 1960man and Ildiko. Yes now that I tried next day fare it is also CHF 28. As we are travelling 20 Dec, which is Christmas week, would you advise that we buy the tickets in advance? It seems 60days is the earliest to buy them. I’ve watched some videos of the TER train and it’s not a big train, though not sure if Christmas week is peak period. Also, can I buy these tickets before we get the Half Fare Card? Thanks also, Ildiko, for the link “France from Switzerland by train” — the Flixbus & Klook options can get us from Chamonix to Geneva. Thanks again and take care!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2022 at 7:48:08 #947444

Hi Uallin,

it might be busier than other days, but still, I do not recommend buying the tickets now. In case of bad weather, you might want to change your itinerary. I recommend checking the weather forecast first, and only buying your tickets if you already see that it will be a clear sky, so you can enjoy the view, which means a maximum of 1-2 days in advance.

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2022 at 9:42:53 #947445

You can get from Chamonix to Geneva using the Leman Express cross-border integrated rail network:

http://www.lemanexpress.ch/en/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2022 at 9:49:50 #947446

I agree with Ildiko. If the area is cloudy, wet or foggy the ride isn’t very scenic. December 20 is a Tuesday so I’m not sure it will be greatly busier than normal but it’s hard to predict.

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    29 September 2022 at 13:48:43 #947447

We are actually staying a few nights in Chamonix so we will need to take this train. Thanks for the link to Leman Express, 1960man. After checking it seems the bus will be more convenient for us as our hotel is near to the Charmonix Sud bus stop.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2022 at 15:10:12 #947448

I suggested the train as I dislike buses which parallel railway routes and try to promote rail whenever possible.

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    1 October 2022 at 6:27:58 #947449

Hi 1960man. I think you are right. We have decided to take the train. Can we buy the tickets from SBB ? We will buy the Half Fare Card. The ticket will allow boarding any train within the day or only a specifc timing train? Also to confirm, the St-Gervais-les-Bains-Le Fayet –> Annemasse –> Geneva is the Leman Express?

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2022 at 17:26:28 #947450

Yes, the whole of Leman Express is a frequent walk on service. You can buy from SBB or SNCF – as stated on the Leman Express web site:

http://www.lemanexpress.ch/en/plan-your-journey/tickets-and-passes

Anna
    6382 posts
    1 October 2022 at 18:22:16 #947451

Hi Uallin,

Yes, you can purchase the discounted tickets from SBB without a purchasing a Swiss Half Fare Card first. Just make sure you have it when you are travelling.

Regards,

Anna

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    2 October 2022 at 5:35:22 #947452

Thank you very much, everyone!

• The thread ‘Route and costs of train Montreux-Chamonix’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.