Schynige Platte to First at the end of May?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2016 at 18:07:47 #808547

Hi

I have a 5 day trip to the Lutschental region planned for the end of May (27th to 31st) with 3 friends.

Its our 1st trip to the alps i’m looking to sort our itinery. I was considering the trail from Schynige Platte to first (as I’ve read that its a classic), but am concerned that we may be tackling it a bit early in the year? Could we still expect a snow covered trail at the end of May? I’d be grateful of any advice.

Also, should we decide to avoid that particular route i’d be grateful of any suggestions for a 1st time group of guys (age range 24 – 50!) to experience that particular area of the alps & to ge the most out of it. We’re all experienced in UK trekking/scrambling.

Many Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

lbiggs020260
    Participant
    26 posts
    5 March 2016 at 20:24:29 #849074

Hi

I think it is highly likely that you would experience snow. The Schynige Platte railway does not open again until 28th May too!

If you suggest what sort of walks you are interested in, I’d be happy to make some suggestions based on nearly 50 years walking in the area

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2016 at 13:23:49 #849075

Kindly advise if I start on 30th May to 3 rd June (5 days), any “safe and easy” trail for 2-3 hrs hiking in Interlaken / Jungfrau region and Lake Thun region with fully use the Swiss Travel Pass (route that will be covered at the starting point and to the end point) and thus want to save some money on any “extra fare” on those charged mountain train or cable car. Thanks

lbiggs020260
    Participant
    26 posts
    6 March 2016 at 17:21:45 #849076

There are some nice walks above the Lauterbrunnen valley between Grutschalp and Murren. Take the cable car to Grutschalp and then walk to Murren (the easy way alongside the railway will only take an hour or so, but if you walk via the higher route it will take longer and the views are even better!

You could go up to mannlichen and then walk any number of routes down towards Grindelwald – either via Kleine Scheidegg (very good path and walk takes a little over an hour to Kleine Scheidegg) or via Alpiglen.

You could go to Kleine Scheidegg and walk down to Wengen via Biglenalp and Mettla alp.

You could go to Bussalp and walk to First

Just a few suggestion which would normally be trouble free to walk at the end of May. You may encounter some snow but not too much and easy to cross

You will find all walks very well signposted with direction and time!

Have a great time

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    6 March 2016 at 18:04:18 #849077

Hello Kinnonion and welcome to the forums!

Your visit to the gorgeous BO/Lauterbrunnen Valley region is coming a bit early in the season. Hikes that normally do not open until June 15 are Schynige Platte to First, Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, Eiger Trail (under the North Face), First to Bachalpsee, and the hikes accessible from the Allmendhubel lift (on Mürren side).

HIkes that will be open are the afore-mentioned Grütschalp to Mürren (not really a hike, rather an easy 1.5 hour stroll on flat terrain, higher route is indeed a wee bit more challenging); Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg (highly recommended), Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg then on up to Mürren (stunning); MAYBE Lauterbrunnen to Lobhornhütte; MAYBE Meiringen to Grosse Scheidegg.

For descriptions of these hikes and lots of other information about the region please see a series of PDFs at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 March 2016 at 19:37:15 #849078

Hi Kim-

I have found that this website has lists of quite a few trails.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/som mer/tourism/destinatio ns/kleine-scheidegg/hiking-trails/

i understand that the Open/Closed status may not be current, especially during transitions between seasons, but it might be a useful start for Kinnonian.

What do you think?

Slowpoke

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    7 March 2016 at 20:17:17 #849079

Excellent sleuthing, Slowpoke!

This is indeed a great resource, especially to check closer to travel time. There are a number of trails that are groomed for winter walking but close again after the ski season and before summer season. Also, be sure to check the “last update” date at the bottom of the page

• The thread ‘Schynige Platte to First at the end of May?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.