Seeking Advice On Best Rail Pass Option

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2015 at 3:32:54 #806810

I am trying to find the best rail pass option for the two of us on our nine-day trip to Switzerland this summer. Our travel schedule will include: Zurich Airport to Lucerne (2 days) with one boat trip on Lake Lucerne, Lucerne to Wengen (where we will be staying/hiking each of our six days in this area). Most of travel while in the Jungfrau region will be each day to Mannlichen or to the Murren side of the mountain for our hikes. Would like to go to Top of Europe and Schilthorn as well. Then our return trip from Wengen to Zurich Airport.

I was looking at the Swiss Flex Pass (8 day pass) since I can pick eight days among the nine we are travelling but don’t know if it is the best option since many days we will be in the Jungfrau region with short trains, cable cars and some of the higher priced upper mountain excursions which might not be covered by the Swiss Flex Pass. Not sure if the Swiss Flex Pass is cheaper than then all of the travel if paid for individually. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 January 2015 at 6:29:02 #841542

Hello james54,

I would suggest to consider the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass (consecutive days) instead of the Swiss Travel Pass Flex. That one is cheaper and will work out better even if you would not use it on day one and buy a regular ticket from the airport to Lucerne. The pass includes free traveling to Wengen, and to Mürren by train and bus/cable car. Schilthorn is 50% off and Jungfraujoch is 25% off. All the details are on myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass.

The Swiss Half Fare Card is the alternative to look into. With that, you can buy 50% discounted tickets every day, for up to one month.

The last alternative I want to suggest is a combination of a Tell-Pass and a Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. Those passes include nearly everything for free in both regions, so very much worth it if you plan to travel a lot.

To find out which option is better, please follow these instructions. Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2015 at 2:29:33 #841543

Thanks for your response. This is very helpful. We will determine a detailed itinerary which will assist in our planning. We will need to cost it our from there. The 8-day Swiss Pass seems to make the most sense at first sight. The Tell Pass would not cover travel from Zurich to Lucerne and return travel back to Zurich. Thanks again.

• The thread ‘Seeking Advice On Best Rail Pass Option’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.