Some queries on “1-day travel pass plus”

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2016 at 5:21:29 #810153

Hi Everyone,

I am planning a trip of Switzerland from 13th October to 18th October 2016 along with family. We are 4 adults and 1 baby (1 year old). We were checking out various Swiss Travel Passes available. We are finding the ‘1 day travel plus pass’ an attractive option.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/1-day-travelpass-plus.html

Instead of buying 4 Swiss Pass, we can a Half Fare Card for 1 person and then for next 6 days we can take this 1 day travel plus pass for group of 4. This would be a cheaper option. However there are certain questions we are not very clear about, which are as follows:

Is this ‘1-day travel plus pass giving same benefits for a day as we get in Swiss Pass? Like does it give discounts on mountains, museums etc. covered in Swiss Pass or does it give only unlimited travel but no other benefits of Swiss Pass?

Can a person having Half Fare Card buy 6 such passes for 6 consecutive days or is there any limitation for the Half Fare Card holder on the number of ‘1 day travel passes’ he can buy?

For the ‘1-day travel plus pass’ does the total number of travel have to be 4, including children below 6 years or does it exclude the kids below 6 years and only 4 adults will count?

Regards,

Parna.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    25 September 2016 at 11:26:54 #856190

Hi Parna, thanks for joining us!

This offer is primarily geared to Swiss residents holding the quite common “Halbtax-abo” or, in English, “Half-Fare travelcard”, and not to tourists. But according to the SBB holders of the Swiss Half Fare Card (which is in a sense a one month “tourist version” of the Half-Fare travelcard) are allowed to use it as well. Please refer to this previous topic.

I think most of your questions will be answered under the “Product info” tab of the page you linked to. There’s a link to a coverage map, which pretty much equals the Swiss Travel Pass validity map. As far as I can tell museum entrances are not included though, so that’s a disadvantage compared to the Swiss Travel Pass. There don’t seem to be limitations when it comes to buying this offer for several consecutive days. I think you’re allowed to use it for 4 adults, as the baby travels along for free anyway. If you’re unsure you’d best ask the SBB for details though.

Please find purchase options for the Swiss Half Fare Card here. I’d recommend an online purchase through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2016 at 12:48:24 #856191

Hi Annika, thanks a lot for your reply.

Regards, Parna.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2016 at 6:14:40 #856192

Annika, Your reply was really helpful. Thanks again for the same.

However, it’s still a bit unclear if the following discounts which are included in Swiss pass are covered in 1-day travel pass or not:-

50% discount on mountain railways and cable cars.

25% discount on Kleine Scheidegg-Jungfraujoch route.

20% discount on normal fares on the Furka Cogwheel Steam Train Cable Cars and Funiculars up to the mountain peaks.

Would really appreciate if someone can highlight on the same matter since its not really clear from the Product info whether these are covered in 1-day travel pass or not

Thanks and Regards,

Parna

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 September 2016 at 6:32:53 #856193

Hi Parna,

The Furka steam train will not be discounted with that offer. I assume the discounts on other mountain trains and cableways apply to the additional travelers as well as they show on their map (I didn’t find otherwise), but you will have to ask the SBB to be sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 September 2016 at 7:24:54 #856194

Hi Arno,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Regards, Parna

• The thread ‘Some queries on “1-day travel pass plus”’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.