Itinerary advice Lugano to Lucerne May + rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2019 at 22:16:57 #820397

Hello – We are 2 adults (50’s) planning to take train from Lugano to Lucerne on May 31st. We are staying 5 nights in Lucerne and depart Zurich on June 5th. Can you suggest an itinerary and appropriate pass for our visit? We enjoy visits to other cities, mountains, sightseeing, but prefer not to travel more than 2 hrs from Lucerne, and with limited time would like to know what we “must do” while we are there. Appreciate any recommendations!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 March 2019 at 1:33:59 #906515

Hello Mchang and welcome to MySwissAlps,

There is plenty to do in and around Luzern. See http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities.

Use the SBB Timetable (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) to plan your travel. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

Are you following the Gotthard Panorama Express route on your way from Lugano? The paddle steamer trip from Flüelen is great. If you don’t do it on your way from Lugano then consider it for a day excursion from Luzern. You can boat to Flüelen and return by train or vice verse.

Once you have an itinerary mapped out you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math to pick the most suitable pass for your plans.

Happy travels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2019 at 15:04:18 #906516

Hi Mchang and welcome again to MySwissAlps!

If I understood correctly your primary base will be Lucerne. However if you get a chance to see Lugano and surroundings e.g. Verzasca valley, I would also highly recommend it, it is one of the most beautiful parts of Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/lu gano

As Rockoyster has mentioned, there is plenty to do around Lucerne, and you can use the timetable to ensure any travel is under 2 hours. Lake Lucerne is unique, and there are many boat trips you can take, as well as visit many of the mountain tops nearby (Rigi, Pilatus etc.). Lucerne itself is very popular and there are a few very nice cultural activities in the town. Here are some links to help you:

Hope this helps and have a wonderful trip!

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2019 at 16:04:48 #906517

Thanks everyone for the replies. We will be staying 5 days in Menaggio prior to heading to Lucerne. I have decided to get the Tell Pass for 5 days and take the Gotthard Panorama Express from Lugano to Lucerne. I understand that part of the journey is not covered by Tell Pass. When making a seat reservation, there is an option to purchase an “upgrade from 2nd plus seat reservation”. Is this the correct ticket, or should I be getting a different ticket?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 March 2019 at 20:11:25 #906518

It gets a bit tricky. The Tell Pass effectively gives you a 2nd Class ticket from Göschenen to Flüelen. So the easiest thing is to buy the “upgrade from 2nd plus seat reservation” as you described. But you will also need to buy a 2nd Class ticket from Lugano to Göschenen. You will also need an upgrade on the paddle steamer if you want to access the upper deck/dining room which Is 1st Class only. You can buy the upgrade at any station or onboard the boat. Reservations are not possible on the boat. I’m therefore assuming the “upgrade from 2nd plus seat reservation” only includes the upgrade for the train but I don’t know which retailer you are buying from.

No doubt someone will be along shortly to point out you can follow the exact same route on regular trains and you don’t need reservation or class upgrades on those. 🤓

• The thread ‘Itinerary advice Lugano to Lucerne May + rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.