Suggestions to improve MySwissAlps.com

• Arno
    15484 posts
    9 April 2018 at 9:11:43 #815223

Hi everyone,

From time to time we receive ideas for improving MySwissAlps.com. You can still e-mail ideas, but you are also welcome to suggest improvements here in this thread. Improvements can be related to anything here on the site, not just the forum section.

In order to manage expectations: our wish list is permanently much, much longer than what we can ever implement. Priorities have to be made. So, suggestions are more than welcome, but we can’t guarantee anything, sorry 🙂

I will make sure this thread will remain open even if there’s no activity for a while.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 April 2018 at 10:22:36 #881591

Hi Arno,

I have a suggestion. There seems to be increasing interest in the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details). I wonder if there could be some mention of it’s potential use as an extension to the Swiss Travel Pass on the “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass) page.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 April 2018 at 10:55:54 #881592

Hi Rockoyster,

Thanks! Yes, there are quite some questions about those passes. It surprises me a bit because of the restrictions/limitations of that offer. We have some information on http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details. I will keep an eye on things and see if it should have its own page eventually. It’s on the list.

CJ5
    Participant
    18 posts
    9 April 2018 at 23:04:18 #881593

I just read the forum thread on this and not knowing what the Saver Day pass was, clicked on your link. The one thing it did not answer was is it valid for trains to the border? we are going to be there for 5 days and if we purchase (we we intend to do) the 4 day Swiss Pass, what becomes the best option for just getting to the border on the 5th day? I seriously need a vacation for all of this – if you are not from that area it is VERY confusing and what makes sense to you all when you reply can still be very confusing. I’m dazed and confused. 🙁

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 April 2018 at 23:12:59 #881594

Yes it works on trains to the border. Get the SBB Mobile app and look up your route 30 days or less from travel. It will offer Saver Day Pass if it is the best price for the trip.

ps I live in Australia 🇦🇺 😎

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 April 2018 at 23:14:38 #881595

I rest my case.💁‍♂️

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 1:00:28 #881596

Hi Arno

I appreciate all the hard work that has gone into this site and have learnt a huge amount from it. I would like to see more information and suggestions for the Ticino area if possible. I have picked up some ideas from other members who have visited the area but to have these collated in one place would be quicker than sorting through threads to find them. Just a thought – no pressure!

Maggie

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 April 2018 at 2:38:45 #881597

+1 from me for Ticino (it’s on the drawing board I believe).

Also “the French Side” with guest contributors Peterlii, Snowman and 1960man orchestrated by Chantal.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    10 April 2018 at 3:39:27 #881598

Interesting point of view, Maggie. And most valid for anybody who is using this forum to find information, rather than provide it. So what does one do right now ? Make a note of the title of the thread that is useful and keep a record of this for easy access at any time in the future. I’ve never tried this, but how could you go back to look at a thread from, say, last November ? Would it work if you had the title ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 April 2018 at 3:48:04 #881599

You bookmark* the threads you are interested in Peterlii. Or cut and paste the information into a separate document.

* Maybe “Add to Favourites” is the Windows terminology?

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    10 April 2018 at 4:02:12 #881600

Hej,

I think bookmarking would be better. One can create a new folder (calling it perhaps “MySwissAlps”) and then dump all of the bookmarks into that folder. I am less enthused about copy/pasting into a separate document. I do most of my printing in PDF keep the PDFs on my computer but the thing I don’t like about that is that all the links are no longer clickable. If I copy/paste as you suggest, will that also be the case with the resulting documents ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 April 2018 at 4:09:50 #881601

I use bitly.com/ quite a bit.

Not only can you save links, it shortens them and you can add keywords to group links by topic for later searching.

eg bit.ly/2qdbLqR

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 April 2018 at 5:06:01 #881602

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post your thoughts!

• The Saver Day Pass is on our list to consider it’s own dedicated page with more details.
    • The Ticino area will be added. I can only promise it will be done, not when exactly. I aim at Q3 of this year.
    • Also planned is adding more information about the South-West area, the “French side”. Hopefully around that same time.
    • A new linking option for Top Members and Experts will be available soon. You will be able to create links with keywords like I did above for South-West area. You can still simply paste links into your posts.
    • The advertisements in the website search function will be removed soon, and we aim to improve the search results over time. That should allow you to search for old forum threads, and the rest of the website, even better. But of course you can always keep your own list of interesting URLs.
    • Adding/editing forum attachments in a better way is high on my wish list but not planned yet.
    CJ5
    Participant
    18 posts
    10 April 2018 at 11:40:12 #881603

Clicking on the links in Myswissalps – the 1 day travel pass is only available for those that have a Swiss 1/2 fare card. Hence – why so confusing. So if I have Swiss Pass than I cant get the 1 day travel pass – per myswissalps.

kperigo
    Participant
    52 posts
    10 April 2018 at 13:40:51 #881604

Rockoyster, you Rock!

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    10 April 2018 at 14:14:52 #881605

Here’s something that’s been annoying me; In the “things to do” area, when choosing Hiking, if you scroll to another page and click on a hike, then click the back button, it takes you to the main page…always! Especially annoying when you’ve selected a specific area, clicking the back button always takes you to the main hiking page instead of even the first page of the region you’ve selected.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 April 2018 at 14:40:30 #881606

Hi CJ5,

That information is accurate. The 1-day travelpass is only available for Swiss Half Fare Card holders. We can only list the facts, we don’t get to decide about how the passes work unfortunately 🙂 If you have further pass related questions, please open a new thread in the rail forum. Thanks!

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 April 2018 at 14:46:13 #881607

Hi Debra,

I see what you mean. If you have applied some of the filters on http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king to find a specific hike, then the site won’t remember those filters if you go back to that page later. Here’s a trick: press the CTRL key while clicking to a hike. Then it opens in a new browser window and you get to keep the window with your filtered hikes. This works on Windows, but there are similar options on iOS, Android, etc. We could make it in such a way that it always opens a new window even if you don’t click CTRL, but that would open up a whole lot of windows all of the time for all visitors, so we won’t go that way.

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    10 April 2018 at 14:56:29 #881608

Thanks, that worked better.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 April 2018 at 20:38:37 #881609

Read down that page until you get to Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details).

That’s the product you want.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 April 2018 at 22:44:36 #881610

Hi Arno,

I really think you need a link to a separate Saver Day Pass page here http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issrailpasses.

It surely makes the 1-day Travel Pass totally redundant.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 155 total)
  • The thread ‘Suggestions to improve MySwissAlps.com’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.