Swiss honeymoon in the first week of Sep

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2017 at 20:38:29 #810618

Hey All,

I am planning my honeymoon to Switzerland early September.We dont really want to move around too much between cities and would prefer to spend more time with nature.

Tentatively here is the itinerary

1. Reach Zurich by the 2nd and drive up to Lucerne and checkin to a Hotel there
    2. Spend the 3rd and the 4th in Lucerne- Probably check out Mt Rigi and walk around the city a bit.
    3. Leave for Wengen on Monday evening and check in to a Hotel by Monday night.
    4. Stay in Wengen from the 4th till 7th .
    5. Travel back from Wengen to Zurich on 8th and then back home

I picked Wengen based on some forums here.Heard its a more secluded spot compared to Grindelwald and Interlaken.

Can you give me more ideas on how we can spend our time with Wengen as our base?

Also is this is a good plan considering its September? Suggestions on how to spend time at Lucerne are also welcome.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    19 January 2017 at 23:02:20 #858225

Hi Deepika,

I recommend that you don’t drive to those places, but take the train instead. There is at least one train per hour in every direction in Switzerland, no matter what trip you are planning. Mt Rigi, of course, can only be reached by train (unless you hike!). You cannot drive to Wengen (but once you arrive at Wengen station there will be taxis or courtesy mini-buses to bring you to your hotel).

Sure, a honeymoon trip by car sounds attractive, …until you have to struggle your way in an unknown city, at the end of a long ride through mountain passes…

From Wengen, a daytrip to the Jungfraujochwould be the most exciting thing to do. Instead of Wengen, you could stay at the belle époque hotel Bellevue Des Alpes at Kleine Scheidegg, above Wengen. Alternatively, you could go to Schilthorn, that’s above Mürren(cablecar) on the other side of the valley. Schilthorn might be better known to you as “Piz Gloria” from an old James Bond movie.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 January 2017 at 0:25:59 #858226

Hi Deepika-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

Sounds like an ideal trip for a first time visitor to Switzerland. September is our preferred month , too.

I agree with Snowman’s suggestions. Just for example, parking is very limited in Luzern. 24 hours at the garage (P1) at the main station costs CHF 52.50.

Renting a car at Zürich Airport adds a surcharge…off hand, 10% to your cost.

The rental car locations in Zürich are hard to get to and from.

Once you are near the Jungfrau, you car sits in a garage. It is a car free area.

Here are some tools to help you:

map.search.ch/?pos=640944,162128&z=16

Zoom in to see train lines.

Turn on Mountain Transport or other services under the menu- “Points of Interest/Traffic.”

This will help you understand better what the train service is like:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr avel

especially:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Please read the instructions.

Wengen is my favorite town in the Jungfrau region:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

That will give you a little light reading by an expert on the town and the area.

Also, you can get a first impression of various towns and cities here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/wh eretogo/towns

Scroll down.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2017 at 11:52:53 #858227

Hello,

That is pretty much the trip I did last September. And it was fabulous. Must say I’m a bit jealous, brings back a lot of great memories. I posted a trip report and some pictures if you have not seen that one yet.

Ditch the car, the trains are wonderful!

You are also correct to stay in Wengen (or we stayed in Murren, but it appears I am in the minority for preferring that side of the valley). There is so much to do in the valley, no matter what side you stay on. both sides have fabulous views. One side has Jungfrau and the other Schilthorn. Lots of cable cars and hiking on both sides. And things to do in the valley too. The waterfall are worth seeing too. We rented bikes and biked through the valley one day.

The hiking and trails are so easy to navigate. There are sign posts everywhere telling you how it is.

You will have a great time, happy planning.

Ellen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2017 at 15:18:32 #858228

Hi Deepika05 and welcome to MySwissAlps,

There have been some great, informative replies already to your questions (please click on the links in their posts to read more details about each town/area).

I will just chime in for now on Luzern (local German spelling). Click on the ‘what to do’ tab for details on scenic trips and train routes that you can do in the area.

The most popular are: Mt. Titlis and Mt. Pilatus and the Gotthard Panorama Express train, but there are many more great activities listed on that page.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2017 at 19:52:52 #858229

Hey All,

Thanks for the great suggestions Snowman, slowpoke, Ellen and Lucas. They are all very helpful.

Especially the word doc put together by Kim .

The reason why I was considering driving from Zurich is because the flights I am looking at would probably land around 10:00 PM. I did not really expect Swiss rail to have trains around 11 Pm, but looks like they do 🙂 . So it is a good idea to ditch the car.

Are the lockers at Lucerne a safe place to store the luggage for may be 8 hours?

I have heard that during the peak season they are generally not available.

Is it possible to reserve them?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 January 2017 at 20:55:32 #858230

Hi deepika

<<“The reason why I was considering driving from Zurich is because the flights I am looking at would probably land around 10:00 PM.”>>

You cannot rent a car late at night.

Depending on where your flight comes from ( Schengen or non-Schengen country) and whether you carry on luggage or check it, as well as where you sit in the plane, you can be at the airport train station in as little as 45 minutes or even less (all things favorable) to 75 minutes or rarely, a bit more if you have to go through passport control and perhaps wait a few minutes for luggage. Luggage is fast at Zürich. Of course, if you are at the back of the plane, they have begun to move your luggage while you wait to get off.

Last connection, with change at Zürich main station is at 2343. If you land at 10, you probably will not make the 2243, could make the 2313, and should have no problem with the 2343.

If you use a Swiss Travel Pass obtained on line, no wait to buy tickets.

If you need to buy a ticket, the ticket machines are fast and take credit cards. Faster than the ticket counters during normal hours. Unfortunately, you can only chooses German,. French, Italian or English. 😉

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof/dhl-service-point/automatic-ticket-machine.html

Luzern does not have as many lockers as Zurich, but there are a fair number.

They are located out along platform # 1.

The SBB website will tell you how many and what size:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof/railway-stations/bahnhof-finden.posid.5000.html

The tab for “Services” gives the opening hours for the left luggage office…not late at night, but good for daytime use if the lockers are full;

The tab for Equipment shows the number and size of lockers:

147 small, 144 medium, and 24 large, as well as prices and dimensions. Make sure you have Swiss coins in your pockets if you use them.

<<“Are the lockers at Lucerne a safe place to store the luggage for may be 8 hours? I have heard that during the peak season they are generally not available. Is it possible to reserve them?”>>

Safe.

September is not peak season.

You cannot reserve them.

Your hotel will surely hold your bags for you if you want to leave them there for a a while.

Maybe stay fairly near the station:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/hotels

I have used the Hotel des Alpes. Nice rooms, mediocre kitchen. Plenty of other places to eat.

Rathaus Braurei (townhall brewery) was very good with wide variety and reasonable prices. Changed hands earlier this year, and I did not have chance to try them when I was there in December.

http://www.rathausbrauerei.ch

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2017 at 21:14:40 #858231

Hello,

We stayed at Hotel des Alpes as well. Enjoyed it very much, great location on the river.

Ellen

• The thread ‘Swiss honeymoon in the first week of Sep’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.