Luzern & Grindelwald plans early August

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 20:38:43 #816894

We’re headed to Italy and Switzerland end of July through Aug first week.

Fist of all we’re planning to buy a Swiss Pass (2 adult and 2 youth). As I understand it that I will not need to make reservations and can hop on to any swiss train (with a couple of route restrictions). Correct?

8/4 – Milan to Varenna. Stop for a few hours to check out Lake Como. Continue to Tirano. Catch Tirano to Chur BEX 14:25pm to 18:20pm.

Plan is to either continue to Zurich or to Luzern to spend the night. If next day is Luzern, is it better to just head there? Want to go out sight seeing in the evening and trying to see if Zurich is better option, plus we won’t get a chance later.

8/5 – Like to spend most of the day in Luzern. Later afternoon like to train to Brienz. Take a boat from Lake Brienz to Interlaken.

Probably plan to spend night in Grindelwald.

8/6 & 8/7 – plan to go up to Jungfranjoch one of these days depending on which day weather is better. I know the Swiss Pass only gets me a discount of the train but do I need to reserve seats or buy tickets early or can i buy them once i get there depending on day i decide to go up?

The other day I think we’re considering going to First or other villages in the area. Any advice?

Our flight to London is 8/8 at 2 pm. Haven’t seen Zurich. Do we leave a bit early on 8/7 to catch Zurich at night and few hours in the morning or better to stay in Grindewald area and catch train in morning to Zurich, with understanding that we won’t really get to see Zurich.

Thanks so much all.

• The thread ‘Luzern & Grindelwald plans early August’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.