Best rail pass for Bernese Oberland 4 days?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
vtx7353
vtx7353
2 posts
Dec 6, 2017 - 2:54 AM

Hello,

I just booked a flight from FLL to CDG with an AF connecting to Basel (April 20, 2018). My itinerary is: Arrive BSL at 1800 (no checked-in luggage) so hoping to catch the 1857 train to Lauterbrunnen as our base for 4 nights. We are staying at Camp Jungfrau.We are a group of 5- Me, hubby and 2 children ages 5 and 7; and my sister. we plan to do the slow and easy hikes first day- maybe hike to Trummelbach falls, take the cable to Murren, and hike to Grimmelwald after lunch. On the 22nd visit on the last day of Shilthorn's opening) and I've read that a fairly easy hike would be to take the Allmend-Hubel Funicular from Murren and then hike down through the alpine meadows. Day 3 would be the Jungfraujoch - Top of Europe if weather permits and Day 4 would be just be to Lucerne before we leave for late train to Basel and then leave next day.

My questions are:

1. What pass would it be better for us? Swiss pass, bernese pass or the half card? we are planning to visit other the alp villages (wengen, Stechelberg, etc) if the weather is clear, if not- ditch Lauterbrunnen and then we head cities eg Lucerne etc?

2. I've a somewhat idea what t do when staying at the Jungfrau region but would need help some ideas or guidance on plan B if weather does not cooperate.

Many thanks in advance!!

rockoyster
rockoyster
4022 posts
expert
Dec 6, 2017 - 5:06 AM in reply to vtx7353

Hi vtx7353 adn Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You might want to be aware of these closures (compiled my Forum Member Alpenrose666).

These will not be operating:

Cable car Wengen-Männlichen - closed 3 April till 18 May 2018

Gondola Grindelwald Grund-Männlichen - closed 3 April till 18 May 2018

Funicular Mürren-Allmendhubel - closed 9 April till 22 June 2018

Train Wilderswil to Schynige Platte - reopens on 26 May 2018 after winter closure

vtx7353
vtx7353
2 posts
Dec 6, 2017 - 5:22 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thank you, I’ll take note of that. Illjust focus on visiting the towns that are still open. If there’s not a lot of action by late April, where would be the best town to stay longer at? is Lauterbrunnen a good area to be based at?

Lucas
Lucas
9609 posts
expert &
Dec 6, 2017 - 6:27 AM in reply to vtx7353

Hi vtx7353,

1. The Regional Pass Bernese Oberland could be a good option for you yes - it starts April 21 this year. It won't cover you from Basel to Bern (on your way to Lauterbrunnen) and then from Lucerne to Basel on your return but most everything else will be covered or discounted nicely. Read more about the validity of the pass here.
    To be sure, you'll need to review all your planned trips and do the math - look at our page on how to choose the best rail pass to compare against the Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card.
  2. Have a look at our Bernese Oberland Regional page for lists of suggested activities and towns in the area. Most activities are weather dependent in this area but town visits to Luzern or Bern are good ideas as well.

I like Lauterbrunnen as a base for shorter stays in the area as it has good rail / gondola connections around the area and outside to Interlaken, Brienz, Thun etc.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018