Best rail pass for Bernese Oberland 4 days?

• vtx7353
    Participant
    2 posts
    6 December 2017 at 2:54:07 #813779

Hello,

I just booked a flight from FLL to CDG with an AF connecting to Basel (April 20, 2018). My itinerary is: Arrive BSL at 1800 (no checked-in luggage) so hoping to catch the 1857 train to Lauterbrunnen as our base for 4 nights. We are staying at Camp Jungfrau.We are a group of 5- Me, hubby and 2 children ages 5 and 7; and my sister. we plan to do the slow and easy hikes first day- maybe hike to Trummelbach falls, take the cable to Murren, and hike to Grimmelwald after lunch. On the 22nd visit on the last day of Shilthorn’s opening) and I’ve read that a fairly easy hike would be to take the Allmend-Hubel Funicular from Murren and then hike down through the alpine meadows. Day 3 would be the Jungfraujoch – Top of Europe if weather permits and Day 4 would be just be to Lucerne before we leave for late train to Basel and then leave next day.

My questions are:

1. What pass would it be better for us? Swiss pass, bernese pass or the half card? we are planning to visit other the alp villages (wengen, Stechelberg, etc) if the weather is clear, if not- ditch Lauterbrunnen and then we head cities eg Lucerne etc?

2. I’ve a somewhat idea what t do when staying at the Jungfrau region but would need help some ideas or guidance on plan B if weather does not cooperate.

Many thanks in advance!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 December 2017 at 5:06:51 #872620

Hi vtx7353 adn Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You might want to be aware of these closures (compiled my Forum Member Alpenrose666).

These will not be operating:

Cable car Wengen-Männlichen – closed 3 April till 18 May 2018

Gondola Grindelwald Grund-Männlichen – closed 3 April till 18 May 2018

Funicular Mürren-Allmendhubel – closed 9 April till 22 June 2018

Train Wilderswil to Schynige Platte – reopens on 26 May 2018 after winter closure

vtx7353
    Participant
    2 posts
    6 December 2017 at 5:22:58 #872621

Thank you, I’ll take note of that. Illjust focus on visiting the towns that are still open. If there’s not a lot of action by late April, where would be the best town to stay longer at? is Lauterbrunnen a good area to be based at?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2017 at 6:27:11 #872622

Hi vtx7353,

1. The Regional Pass Bernese Oberland could be a good option for you yes – it starts April 21 this year. It won’t cover you from Basel to Bern (on your way to Lauterbrunnen) and then from Lucerne to Basel on your return but most everything else will be covered or discounted nicely. Read more about the validity of the pass here.
      To be sure, you’ll need to review all your planned trips and do the math – look at our page on how to choose the best rail pass to compare against the Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card.
    2. Have a look at our Bernese Oberland Regional page for lists of suggested activities and towns in the area. Most activities are weather dependent in this area but town visits to Luzern or Bern are good ideas as well.

I like Lauterbrunnen as a base for shorter stays in the area as it has good rail / gondola connections around the area and outside to Interlaken, Brienz, Thun etc.

• The thread ‘Best rail pass for Bernese Oberland 4 days?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.